The mystery staircase on M class ships

hav2travel

Are you talking about the one that only goes down?
Why am I suddenly humming 'If I Were a Rich Man?' ;)

Since I imagine most people who book Penthouses throw parties, I think it's some kind of area for the waiters to get fresh canapés & such out there with minimal delay.

No, I think they're talking about the one that goes up. To answer your question, it goes up.:D

Garry

Are you sure, Garry? The lack of arrows on those things always confuses me.

;)

Susan

We've been in the PH twice on the Summit and the staircase is for the crew only. They use it to access the window cleaning equipment that hangs on the railing of the PH balcony. They clean the dining room windows with that equipment. I guess Celebrity didn't want to have their crew walking throught the PH to get to the window washers so they put the stairway as access.

We've been in the PH twice on the Summit and the staircase is for the crew only. They use it to access the window cleaning equipment that hangs on the railing of the PH balcony.
Well, I've never stayed in a Penthouse, but I have been in 3 aft balconies. I'm positive I've seen waiters use those stairs while serving parties in the suites.

With a butler's pantry that opens into the PH, there really isn't a need for waiters to use that stairway. There's a door that leads directly into the kitchen of the PH from the area where the butler receives all the food he serves to all the suites with butler service. I've only ever seen the blue-clad crew members/window washers using that stairway, and they're always very polite when they've come on the balcony when we've been out there sitting on the chairs. But, since we've never had a party in the PH, I really don't know if waiters use it or not.

I had always assumed those stairs were the emergency escape from the dining room below.

Can't you imagine the fun of having 500 passengers flood your Penthouse balcony during dinner?

Archived