Yet another Rum Runner Flask ?

Apparently you're unaware of what the rum runners are made of. Lmao

Maybe you should educate yourself before bitching me out. Hahaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry - really not intending to "bitch you out." Just don't want other readers to think that "rum runners" are problem (and detection) free.

My concerns about transferring certain perishable food items to any other container ("food grade polyester" or otherwise) from its original container and leaving them unrefrigerated (or otherwise improperly housed) during transport or storage (particularly in warm climates) remains.

As for alcohol specifically: Why do you think that regular "club" shipments from wineries to their members are never sent during summer months? High end or not, wine is easily "cooked" (sufficient to effect it's deterioration) even after only a short time in transit (recently opened and returned two bad bottles of a shipment from Italy with no need to check out the rest since the entire case was probably cooked). At the other end of the spectrum: why is cheap box wine (decent or not) stored in Mylar liners and not PET (like soda) or other petroleum based products?

And the manufacturer's claim that the "rum runner"container is "undetectable" is spurious at best. Yes, the TSA may leave it in your x-rayed checked bag but not before they have gone through your things to visually inspect it.

Weigh the food safety concerns, luggage space and weight demands, hassle of inspection and possible negative consequences, etc. and most folks will come to understand why many cruisers opt for beverage packages over schlepping stuff from home.

Again, not meant to "bitch you out." Just questioning the real value of "rum runners.".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We can bring our own cups? Something o haven't read yet. They don't frown upon us walking around with our own cups?

From the sound of it, you aren't going to be "walking around" anywhere. Stumbling, maybe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Just don't want other readers to think that "rum runners" are problem (and detection) free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely, I agree. There are no packages/containers for liquid that are detection-free. All it takes is an efficeint xray tech and the time to be thorough, and every thing could be caught.

We have personally never had any issues with rum runners / bottled water / wine / etc of any kind giving the TSA cause to search through our checked bags at the airport, but as we all know the TSA can find cause to search for any reason not just liquids.

For some, the rum runners aren't worth it. For others, they are. It really comes down to value for money and hassle, and that is an individual decision. To each their own.

Usually I'll drink a relative 15 beers a day when I'm on camping trips! So looking at the overall factor of that amount would easily fit into what I'm looking for. I will usually have around 4-5 drinks before noon time. My friend in the other hand, she's a daily heavy drinker but she drinks mostly wine and rum and cokes.

From the sound of it, you aren't going to be "walking around" anywhere. Stumbling, maybe.

OP , I don't care what you drink, but 15 beers a day, mimosas at breakfast and 4-5 drinks before noon? I guess a drink package makes sense for you and your heavy drinking friend.

Have to agree with jkgourmet; you may want to stay away from any deck railings or the pool edge.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 2 months later...
As I've read through about 100 threads, I have yet seen anyone ask this particular question.

although I am going to buy the all inclusive drink package, I would like some cocktails in my room as well.

So here's my question, has anyone ever made pre-drink mixtures and put them in a RR bag? ie: Margarita mixture? Like a darker blend such as strawberry? Or has anyone straight up put just juice in a RR such as cranberry juice? I love ocean spray pomegranate and blueberry flavor, then mixing 3olives pomegranate vodka with it.

I see a lot of threads on clear colored liquors being put in RR and nothing about juices or dark colored drink mixtures or even red wines?!?!?

Also has anyone ever brought a magic bullet with them in their checked in luggage before? How about champagne in a RR?

I am cruising with RCCL freedom 2015. Everyone's been really helpful when it comes to where to pack them etc, but I am just concerned with darker colored liquids and or juices being put in a RR.

Thanks for all of your help!

Hi

I have put in margarita mix , Kahlua (Which is a very dark liquid) in our RR. Hope it helps.

Usually I'll drink a relative 15 beers a day when I'm on camping trips! So looking at the overall factor of that amount would easily fit into what I'm looking for. I will usually have around 4-5 drinks before noon time. My friend in the other hand, she's a daily heavy drinker but she drinks mostly wine and rum and cokes. Also since we're both buying the drink package will they deliver us "cans" of soda? I know that RCCL does not allow you to bring cans of soda or water on board, per conversation with them directly.

No judgement, just curiosity:

"I will usually have around 4-5 drinks before noon time. My friend in the other hand, she's a daily heavy drinker...".

What is the "heavy drinker" threshold?

No judgement, just curiosity:

"I will usually have around 4-5 drinks before noon time. My friend in the other hand, she's a daily heavy drinker...".

What is the "heavy drinker" threshold?

I had the same thought. Not judgmental here either, but had to chuckle. Between walking to the bar or waiting for waiters, restroom breaks and the time it takes actually consume all that liquid, she's going to be pretty busy with the drink package mechanics.

I've bought just the soda package before and found that some days it seems like more trouble than it's worth to keep getting soda. It is a nuisance to have to find a bar or a waiter every time your cup is empty. I haven't seen the new automatic soda dispensers yet. Early or late, you have to walk to the nearest open bar which maybe half a ships length away. There's never a waiter around when you want one and you must wait right there till he comes back after filling maybe 5 or 6 other orders, sometimes 15-20 min. You could just sit at the bar...but then you could just sit in a bar without going on a cruise. Same atmosphere.

It's too bad the drinks in the room fridge are off limits for the drink packages. THAT would be convenient. At home I drink 6 to 8 Diet Cokes per day, sometimes more. On the ship with a soda package, even sharing with my wife, I sometimes barely break even on the cost to buy individually over the length of the cruise.

Remember, you can't use the package on shore excursions so there's probably 3 full days out and about that you lose drinking time (unless you stay onboard to drink.) LOL

As I've read through about 100 threads, I have yet seen anyone ask this particular question.

although I am going to buy the all inclusive drink package, I would like some cocktails in my room as well.

So here's my question, has anyone ever made pre-drink mixtures and put them in a RR bag? ie: Margarita mixture? Like a darker blend such as strawberry? Or has anyone straight up put just juice in a RR such as cranberry juice? I love ocean spray pomegranate and blueberry flavor, then mixing 3olives pomegranate vodka with it.

I see a lot of threads on clear colored liquors being put in RR and nothing about juices or dark colored drink mixtures or even red wines?!?!?

Also has anyone ever brought a magic bullet with them in their checked in luggage before? How about champagne in a RR?

I am cruising with RCCL freedom 2015. Everyone's been really helpful when it comes to where to pack them etc, but I am just concerned with darker colored liquids and or juices being put in a RR.

Thanks for all of your help!

Why would you put juice or mixer in a RR when those liquids are allowed?

You can certainly bring and use a cup of your own anywhere on board. I always bring my Tim Horton's cup (you'd have to be Canadian to care about what that is!). A large plastic coffee cup with a handle and a vacuum top with a slot that opens for handy sips. I fill this with water, iced tea and lemonade at the buffet.

My problem is that these available drinks do not mix well with the booze I have brought on board. Rum and lemonade? Gin and iced tea? The soda package is no answer for me as I can't take all the sugar in the coke that makes a Cuba Libre. And they don't dispense the tonic that would go with my gin. Mixers are the issue I have yet to solve.

You can certainly bring and use a cup of your own anywhere on board. I always bring my Tim Horton's cup (you'd have to be Canadian to care about what that is!). A large plastic coffee cup with a handle and a vacuum top with a slot that opens for handy sips. I fill this with water, iced tea and lemonade at the buffet.

My problem is that these available drinks do not mix well with the booze I have brought on board. Rum and lemonade? Gin and iced tea? The soda package is no answer for me as I can't take all the sugar in the coke that makes a Cuba Libre. And they don't dispense the tonic that would go with my gin. Mixers are the issue I have yet to solve.

Easy solution: Try being an honest person. Buy the gin and tonic from the ship. Or buy a booze package from the ship.

Sheesh - do you bring your own booze to the neighborhood tavern, too?

Edited by jkgourmet

Easy solution: Try being an honest person. Buy the gin and tonic from the ship. Or buy a booze package from the ship.

Sheesh - do you bring your own booze to the neighborhood tavern, too?

Dude it's a thread about rum runners and you are bitching about taking something on the ship... get a clue

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Dude it's a thread about rum runners and you are bitching about taking something on the ship... get a clue

Precisely: DUDE - it is about rum rum runners, so why have you a problem with someone discussing using rum runners? Clue?

Precisely: DUDE - it is about rum rum runners, so why have you a problem with someone discussing using rum runners? Clue?

They should just not post in this. People don't come here to get yelled at they all have a mom at home already. ..

They should just not post in this. People don't come here to get yelled at they all have a mom at home already. ..

In a public forum one can expect that people will post opinions supportive and non-supportive on threads.