Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

luna - I'd recommend Cinnamon Bay. It's the beach after Trunk Bay. It's larger, has facilities (restrooms, snack bar, chair/snorkel rentals) and while it, too can get crowded, it's never as bad as Trunk. You can catch a safari taxi to Cinnamon when you get off the ferry in Cruz Bay. It's only about three minutes further than Trunk. Your taxi driver will stop at the Trunk Bay overlook so you can get a view of Trunk from above. If the beach doesn't look too crowded from there, I'm sure your driver would be happy to drop you at Trunk instead.

Snorkeling is probably better at Cinnamon, too.

ENJOY!

We might consider going to Honeymoon and then walking to the Caneel Bay Resort for lunch and seeing that beach, just something a little different. You can pre-book chair rentals for Honeymoon if you want.

On a cruise stop seeing several sounds very busy. But you could certainly take the tour and see the beaches.

And don't forget the shopping in Cruz is very nce as compared to Charlotte Amalie.

Although Cinnamon was a lovely beach with nice facilities, we were very disappointed in the snorkeling. We spent quite a bit of time in the water - off the beach way to the right as suggested, and out by the rocky island. Really nothing much to see to speak of, very disappointing. Of all of our stops on this cruise, we found the snorkeling to be at the bottom for the number of fish, plants and coral.

We would return to St John again for the sheer beauty of the island and beaches though. We loved it there. We would probably try Hawksnest next time - it looked gorgeous from the taxi.

Edited by sippican

We honeymooned in STJ and it IS one of the most beautiful places ON EARTH! We are returning next month on a cruise this time and are trying to decide the best way to see STJ. On our honeymoon, we rented a car from our hotel and drove to Trunk and Cinnamon - best day ever. Is car rental a viable option for a cruise day visitor?

Thanks!

We honeymooned in STJ and it IS one of the most beautiful places ON EARTH! We are returning next month on a cruise this time and are trying to decide the best way to see STJ. On our honeymoon, we rented a car from our hotel and drove to Trunk and Cinnamon - best day ever. Is car rental a viable option for a cruise day visitor?

Thanks!

What ship?

Where are you docking in St. Thomas?

Thanks to the OP for posting this valuable information. I've been to St. Thomas 4x and about to go back for my 5th next month. Never been to St. John so thinking I might give it a try! One question: I know the ferry runs on the hour but what time does it start in the morning?

Thanks to the OP for posting this valuable information. I've been to St. Thomas 4x and about to go back for my 5th next month. Never been to St. John so thinking I might give it a try! One question: I know the ferry runs on the hour but what time does it start in the morning?

The ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay runs at 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 AM and then begins at 8:00 AM with every hour on the hour. Note that the 5:30 ferry is only during the week but that won't affect cruise ship passengers.

We are on NCL Getaway - I'm looking around our cruise docs for where it ports - I didn't know there other places besides Charlotte-Amalie.

NCL Getaway is scheduled to dock at Havensight throughout April and May. Those don't usually change.

As for renting a car for the day on St. John, that has become more difficult. If you really want to do that, I suggest researching St. John car rental companies and checking with them to see who will do a daily rental. I know that St. John Car Rental no longer does day rentals.

You can do Trunk and Cinnamon via taxi. You can arrange for them to take you from one to the other, especially since they are so close.

Have a great time!

We are on NCL Getaway - I'm looking around our cruise docs for where it ports - I didn't know there other places besides Charlotte-Amalie.

Charlotte-Amalie has two piers, Havensight and Crown Bay.

Below, Havensight is on the far right, and Crown Bay on the far left.

stthomas_zpse8f6fd52.jpg

Charlotte-Amalie has two piers, Havensight and Crown Bay.

Below, Havensight is on the far right, and Crown Bay on the far left.

stthomas_zpse8f6fd52.jpg

So do you know where in this picture the Ferry that goes directly to St John's leaves from? I know where Red Hook bay ferry leaves from but was wondering where the other one does.

So do you know where in this picture the Ferry that goes directly to St John's leaves from? I know where Red Hook bay ferry leaves from but was wondering where the other one does.

Don't have that answer, however, I am cruising on the Allure and docking at Crown Bay, and there is a ship excursion that provides a ferry right from the ship.

I would check with your line to see what they might have available. Nothing better than walking off your ship to the ferry and avoiding a taxi ride.

Dirkgun: The town ferry to St. John leaves from the waterfront, under "Charlotte Amalie" on the map.

Ok thanks. So it looks like we would still need a taxi? I was trying to find out if there was a way to skip the taxi (at least one way ;)) Thanks for the info.

Our ship docks at 8:00 AM. Do you think it is possible to get off the ship, catch a taxi and get on the 9:00 Red Hook ferry?

It depends. Is St. Thomas your first stop on the cruise? If so, changes are you can make the 9:00 AM ferry (we've done it). But we are in a lounge ready to go before 8:00 (chances are you might dock early) and be ready to disembark as soon as they announce you can leave the ship. We've actually stood on the outside promenade and watch the crew set up the disembarkation ramps. Gives us a good idea when they will begin letting folks off the ship.

If you are in a taxi and on the road (from Havensight) by 8:15, you'll likely make the 9:00 AM ferry. You never know about traffic but in the morning, the taxi ride is about 20 minutes from Havensight to Red Hook. If you dock at Crown Bay, it's an extra ten - fifteen minutes (depending on traffic) to Red Hook. Makes it more difficult to catch the 9:00 AM ferry.

Good luck and have fun!

Ok thanks. So it looks like we would still need a taxi? I was trying to find out if there was a way to skip the taxi (at least one way ;)) Thanks for the info.

Dirk ~ if you are going on your own, it's going to be a taxi ride to the ferry docks (Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie). Charlotte Amalie is walkable but not practical if you want to get to St. John quickly (and the CA ferry isn't always dependable).

If you are thinking about using your cruise ship ferry service to St. John (several cruise lines are offering this now), you get on the ferry right at the pier where your ship docks.

ENJOY!

• 1 month later...

If we would get to St.John on our own, then want to do a tour of the island and finish with some beach time, do we hire a taxi for the tour portion? Is there a tour company that would get us from St. Thomas to St. John and do the tour and beach time? This is only our second time to St. John. Our first time we did an excursion through the ship and were very disappointed. Our ship will be in St. Thomas from 8 am until 5 pm. I am nervous about doing it on our own,but would like to find an alternative to a ship's excursion.

If we would get to St.John on our own, then want to do a tour of the island and finish with some beach time, do we hire a taxi for the tour portion? Is there a tour company that would get us from St. Thomas to St. John and do the tour and beach time? This is only our second time to St. John. Our first time we did an excursion through the ship and were very disappointed. Our ship will be in St. Thomas from 8 am until 5 pm. I am nervous about doing it on our own,but would like to find an alternative to a ship's excursion.

Yes, you are definitely better off going on your own, very easy and nothing to worry about. You will meet many people on the ferry who do this every visit because it's so easy and it also eliminates any waiting for others or other queues and gets you there faster.

You will simply hop a taxi going to the Red Hook ferry terminal and get roundtrip tickets for the 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz Bay. Nice, enjoyable ferry ride, and on a nice day sit on the top deck.

When you arrive at Cruz Bay you will see a line of taxis wraiting to take folks on tours, to beaches, or both. The driver will instruct you to stay with him if you want an island tour when he drops others at Trunk Bay. You'll have a great tour and then get dropped at the beach.

The total cost per person, roundtrip is about $65 ($10 taxi to Red Hook, $7 ferry to Cruz, $25 island tour, and $6 taxi back from the beach). If you go to Trunk Bay there's a small entry fee.

Have fun!

Under the "Charlotte Amalie" on the map, but not a reliable ferry schedule. RH runs like clockwork and is a nicer ride.