Alaska - 2006 Which ship?

FEDJAN

2006 Alaska cruises (Inside Passage) -Volendam and Zuiderdam have the most cruises. Ryndam, Veedam and Statendam have some early and late cruises.

Two questions - Which ship for 1st time cruisers? What's the best time frame, weather wise? I know the weather can change quickly and often. I have a friend who sailed in mid-May and she said it was pretty chilly. She had a great trip, but thinks she should have waited until June. What do you HAL/Alaska experts think? Thanks!

We have done this trip a number of times. Weather is totally unpredictable. We have had wonderful sunshine in late April and nothing but rain in August. Had a great time regardless. Our favorite HAL ship is Statendam-great service, food, and the right size.

I would pick a cruise that is inside passage and not outside. That means RT Vancouver or begin or end there. The cruises out of Seattle, while very convenient, are not usually inside passage, so you miss alot of sights. I would also pick a cruise that goes into Tracy Arm-it is really beautiful.

Gary

We have cruised Alaska many times. And next year we will cruise her again. This time we have chosen to do back-to-back cruises on the Statendam. First week is north ward from Vancouver to Seward. The second week is southbound from Seward to Vancouver. The schedules are not identical.

We have done back-to-back cruises in Alaska on the Ryndam which included Glacier Bay.

The schedule we have chosen for next year does not include Glacier Bay but does include other glaciers.

We have cruised at various times and feel that the best time is June - July - and first part of August. That is when the sun is the highest and the glaciers tend to calve more. And the weather is better.

But take clothes so that you can layer - Alaskan weather is unpredicable at any time.

Rather than pick by ship, pick by itinerary - choose the one that goes where you want to go. If you do a one-way (i.e., start or end in Seward) then I'd suggest going in late June, early July when you can get 20 or more hours of daylight Weather won't vary anywhere near as much as amount of daylight.

Would you recommend an Alaskan cruise for an elderly couple who are not too mobile? We are thinking about a family cruise with about 15 people, and my parents are afraid that they wouldn't be able to handle it.

I would pick a cruise that is inside passage and not outside. That means RT Vancouver or begin or end there. The cruises out of Seattle, while very convenient, are not usually inside passage, so you miss alot of sights. I would also pick a cruise that goes into Tracy Arm-it is really beautiful.

Gary

I would second this. For a first AL cruise pick one that does both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm and the Inside Passage. For 2006 that would be either Volendam or Zuiderdam. I would take the Volendam as it has about 400 less passengers. The Vista Class ships are fine, but I would prefer the smaller R Class for Alaska.

If time and budget allow, try to spend a day or so in Vancouver and Victoria either before or after.

For first time cruisers and families traveling together - I'd suggest Zuiderdam

Its one of the largest and has the most amenities...

I wouldnt worry too much about your folks getting around - there are lots of provisions made in the ports for folks in wheelchairs and scooters - and the ships are fairly easy to get around...

Someone earlier in thread said that you couldn't leave from Seattle and do an inside passage - not accurate, as I just did this trip on the Amsterdam in June. Agree with others on the weather. Even leaving on June 10 we experienced everything from 40 degree (F) windchills in Juneau to 75 and sunny in Sitka. I'll pitch for the Amsterdam, which was a lovely ship and just the right size.

Someone earlier in thread said that you couldn't leave from Seattle and do an inside passage - not accurate, as I just did this trip on the Amsterdam in June. Agree with others on the weather. Even leaving on June 10 we experienced everything from 40 degree (F) windchills in Juneau to 75 and sunny in Sitka. I'll pitch for the Amsterdam, which was a lovely ship and just the right size.

We really wanted to do the cruise you just did on the Amsterdam out of SF but unfortunately HAL will not have the Amsterdam doing this next year.

My vote goes to VOLENDAM. ZUIDERDAM is bigger, but there is virtually nothing that she has that VOLENDAM doesn't. VOLENDAM has slightly larger cabins and more space per passenger. Most of our members prefer the R-class ships like VOLENDAM to the Vista-class ships like ZUIDERDAM.

Can't recall exactly where it was but with the smaller Veendam we were able to negotiate some very narrow passages that larger ships could not. One day we took a hard left (going north) between some islands and I recall seeing a much larger Celebrity ship behind us continue up the main channel. Much later that day, after some stunning close up viewing, we rejoind the larger channel and at about sunset saw the Celeb ship once again a few miles behind us.

Same thing happened again in Glacier Bay were we got it MUCH closer (a couple miles) to the glacier face and in College Fjord close enough for iceberg calving to make waves that rocked the ship.

Another factor for itinerary is desire to tour inland in Alaska. Time considerations and all that. If there is no time or budget and you would just go to airport and fly back (or fly in and cruise down) then an R/T would be much better and cheaper. Enough so maybe to bring a better cabin into reach - a verandah is almost a must in the IP.

Archived