Is X going down hill, or isit bordom?

screwsmcernst

I am reading reviews and threads from people who sail multiple times a year, and there seems to be a general disappointment in their tones. Not all, but some. So I was wondering, has Celebrity really gone down hill, or is it that when you sail multiple times a year, a little bit of "Same old, same old" start creeping in?

Edited by screwsmcernst

I think it is a little of both. The more you consume of a product, the less satisfying it becomes. That first strawberry sundae was great. The twentieth may not give you the same sense of satisfaction. We have been on 25 Celebrity cruises so either we need our heads checked or they are still doing something right. It is true some things aren't the same and we're not happy with the changes. However, we still like cruising with Celebrity and will continue to do so unless things REALLY go downhill. So far IMO that hasn't happened.

Phil...............floridacruisers

I love sailing Celebrity, especially through Europe. It mixes the Soltice beauty with the gorgeous area and ambiance of years ago. I do have high expectations, but haven't been disappointed yet! sometimes it just depends on the filters on uses to see the world...

I think the dissatisfaction is multi faceted.

1. Selective memory. You remember the excitement of the first cruise, the wonderful stateroom attendant from the third, great waitstaff from the 5th, etc. It all blurs together giving you a sense of the cruise line that any one cruise is unlikely to match.

2. Frequent cruisers often spend more time on the ship and less in ports. Therefore, they have time to start noticing the "imperfections" on board in terms of service and upkeep.

3. Accept good change as a given. Change you don't like always means the "the line is going downhill". Notice that no one says we should go back to the good old days of only 10% of the cabins having balconies!

4. Real cost of cruising has gone down - dramatically.

We took our first cruise in 1999. It was the last Alaska cruise of the season purchased at the last minute. We had a guarantee cabin and were thrilled when we received an outside cabin (albeit at the bow of the ship). Cost was $699 a person. We paid around $10pp a day gratuities. Our bar bill was $409 for the week.(2 sodas, 1 cocktail daily, 6 bottles of wine). We splurged and bought weeklong access to the Thallasotherapy pool (this was prior to the Persian garden) for the bargain of $150 per couple. So altogether, a cost of $150 per person per day.

This November (15 years later) we will be going on an 11 day cruise, in an AQ cabin (larger cabin with a balcony), with a premium drink package, gratuities as well as $125 OBC. This includes access to Persian gardens, breakfast and dinner in Blu, etc. Cost of cruise is $142 per person, per day. This doesn't even include the free laundry and internet we get as elite.

Please, show me anything (ok, let's not include electronics) where the cost has not only remained stable, but you actually get considerably more for your devalued dollar.

There have been cuts. Things have changed. I personally would rather see prices rise than see service personnel reduced and food quality decline. But then I imagine the threads on that topic . . .

Edited by lucinjo

I think the dissatisfaction is multi faceted.

1. Selective memory. You remember the excitement of the first cruise, the wonderful stateroom attendant from the third, great waitstaff from the 5th, etc. It all blurs together giving you a sense of the cruise line that any one cruise is unlikely to match.

2. Frequent cruisers often spend more time on the ship and less in ports. Therefore, they have time to start noticing the "imperfections" on board in terms of service and upkeep.

3. Accept good change as a given. Change you don't like always means the "the line is going downhill". Notice that no one says we should go back to the good old days of only 10% of the cabins having balconies!

We took our first cruise in 1999. It was the last Alaska cruise of the season purchased at the last minute. We had a guarantee cabin and were thrilled when we received an outside cabin (albeit at the bow of the ship). Cost was $699 a person. We paid around $10pp a day gratuities. Our bar bill was $409 for the week.(2 sodas, 1 cocktail daily, 6 bottles of wine). We splurged and bought weeklong access to the Thallasotherapy pool (this was prior to the Persian garden) for the bargain of $150 per couple. So altogether, a cost of $150 per person per day.

This November (15 years later) we will be going on an 11 day cruise, in an AQ cabin (larger cabin with a balcony), with a premium drink package, gratuities as well as $125 OBC. This includes access to Persian gardens, breakfast and dinner in Blu, etc. Cost of cruise is $142 per person, per day. This doesn't even include the free laundry and internet we get as elite.

Please, show me anything (ok, let's not include electronics) where the cost has not only remained stable, but you actually get considerably more for your devalued dollar.

There have been cuts. Things have changed. I personally would rather see prices rise than see service personnel reduced and food quality decline. But then I imagine the threads on that topic . . .

Our first cruise was on the old RCCL ship Song of Norway. We paid almost $1400 each for a cabin with a "porthole." There were NO balconies back then. There was also only ONE pool, ONE restaurant, ONE night club/bar etc..Cruises HAVE gotten better and are still the best bang for your buck.

I think it is a little of both. The more you consume of a product, the less satisfying it becomes. That first strawberry sundae was great. The twentieth may not give you the same sense of satisfaction.

I've said the very exact thing in other threads, and people have berated me over it.

"The Law of Diminishing Returns" is a well-documented phenomena.

I just actually made a very thorough analysis of the difference between a cruise in 1985 versus today.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42365180&postcount=111

Fuel alone has increased from (based on my analysis, I cited my sources - some were on a prior post in the thread) $16.18 per passenger per hour of cruising to $39.20 per passenger per hour cruising, adding an additional $4800 to a cruise in costs per passenger, yet the $2000 cabin in 1985 still sells for $2000 today, when if adjusted for inflation, should be selling for $4800.

So revenue adjusted is down by half, while operating expense are up 3-4 times.

I was making the point that yes things have to be different today then the past or your cruise fare would be 4 times expensive. If cabin revenue hasn't been as strong as out was, the revenues need to come from someplace to pay the bills. This comes from a combination of cost cutting (lowered MDR food service quality [mind you I find nothing wrong wight eh MDR]), making higher service levels now available in specialties for a fee) and adding specialty restaurants, extra items on room service for a fee (where r/s used to be no charge for it all) higher priced suites and enhanced suite perks, and changing the Captains Club to reward by spend to grow revenue rather than just by putting a butt in a bed, which isn't needed any more as all ships basically sail at capacity already and isn't going to do anything to help the bottom line.

Of course today's biggest issue is the cost of Limes :D

We've been on four cruises since early December and have two TAs coming up this year. Between us we've probably taken sixty cruises and not one has been bad, some were better than others. We're cruised out right now and really regret leaving home this month at such a beautiful time of year. Simply a case of familiarity breeds contempt or too much of a good thing.

I am reading reviews and threads from people who sail multiple times a year, and there seems to be a general disappointment in their tones. Not all, but some. So I was wondering, has Celebrity really gone down hill, or is it that when you sail multiple times a year, a little bit of "Same old, same old" start creeping in?

I think it boils down to different expectations and opinions. I've been on over 30 cruises and I've never had a really bad cruise; some better than others, but all good. I also think that some cruisers like to have the same experience (food, activities, entertainment) over and over again and when it changes, they don't feel comfortable and feel that their experience is not as good as it was in years past.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I post because I think Celebrity is getting lazy.

Actually, we cruise to visit ports and don't care about the MDR food or entertainment. We want an easy way to get from one port to another.

Celebrity offers clean ships, good service, decent food, and interesting passengers. The service isn't any better than we've had on HAL, NCL, Costa, RCL, or Princess.

We don't expect to be wowed but do want to use the public areas as advertised and want a smoke-free comfortable seat to look at the sea. Room service, gambling and shopping are not important in our ship choice.

If RCL or Princess offers a better itinerary, we have no reason to book Celebrity. RCL and Princess are just more fun for our money. We find entertainment in good conversation and quiet times.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

Those of us lucky enough to have taken several cruises, or more, on different Celebrity ships over the years tend to over compare the ships and our cruises to each other. This results is complaints about things that you would be raving about if it was your first cruise or one of your first few cruises. I realized this on our first or second cruise on an S class ship while I was standing in the most stunningly beautiful stateroom I'd ever been in and rather than just enjoying it I was finding things to complain about such as the nightstands not being as large as the ones on M class.

It would be great if every aspect of a cruise had the very best experience of that particular aspect from among the many Celebrity cruises we've taken but that expectation is probably a bit too much to expect.

The fact is that I've never had a bad cruise. I've enjoyed them all tremendously and those in the last few years have all been great. If they weren't I wouldn't be repeating them (or wishing I was when I'm not). Also on every cruise I take I find some things I like more, and other things I like less, then prior cruises.

It's all a matter of remembering the good old days instead of realizing you are living what will soon become the good old days.

I think it is a little of both. The more you consume of a product, the less satisfying it becomes. That first strawberry sundae was great. The twentieth may not give you the same sense of satisfaction. We have been on 25 Celebrity cruises so either we need our heads checked or they are still doing something right. It is true some things aren't the same and we're not happy with the changes. However, we still like cruising with Celebrity and will continue to do so unless things REALLY go downhill. So far IMO that hasn't happened. Phil...............floridacruisers

Agree ... Think it's a bit of both.

LuLu

~~~

There are things I like and things I don't about each class of ships. Just because I think the bedside shelves are lame and there isn't enough drawer space in S class cabins, doesn't mean I hate cruising on Celebrity. I do love the bathrooms in S class. Except for those goofy raised bowl sinks. Some people think they're wonderful. I think people point these small things out in the hopes that Celebrity will learn from its mistakes (although they don't seem to have gotten the message regarding the S class ships :D). But there are lots of other things I like about the S class ships.

There are things I like and dislike about other ships as well. LOVED that they still had the Cova Cafe on the Century. Hated that floor that you can't go all the way through (remember that from the Mercury). Wasn't particularly fond of the buffet. Does that mean I hated my cruise? Nope. Had a wonderful time.

Some people just like to focus on the negatives. So take it all with a grain of salt and go and enjoy your cruise!

We just returned from Reflection, and have been one many cruise lines including Celebrity starting 15 years ago. That said, we loved it and it was certainly not a port driven cruise. This was my second S class cruise, and by far the most lively, fun, and still very relaxing cruise. I don't know if it was based on the passengers on this cruise, or the drink package many enjoyed, or that it was a 7 day cruise but it seemed like there were more people in their 40s out enjoying the ship.

I think the product overall is better than my first couple Celebrity cruises, but I think the food was not ver spectacular. I also feel every Caribbean cruise should have a Caribbean band. All in all, one of my favorite cruises.

Those of us lucky enough to have taken several cruises, or more, on different Celebrity ships over the years tend to over compare the ships and our cruises to each other''''''.

It would be great if every aspect of a cruise had the very best experience of that particular aspect from among the many Celebrity cruises we've taken but that expectation is probably a bit too much to expect.

The fact is that I've never had a bad cruise. I've enjoyed them all tremendously and those in the last few years have all been great. If they weren't I wouldn't be repeating them

''''''.

We can't say we enjoyed all Celebrity cruises tremendously. Over the years we've had three bad Celebrity cruises (Horizon, Millie, Equinox).

The Dec. 9, CEO's special meeting cruise on Constellation convinced us to cancel two booked Celebrity cruises.

The cruises mentioned weren't entirely a waste of money but other cruise lines have delivered better in total for us.

Penny

We can't say we enjoyed all Celebrity cruises tremendously. Over the years we've had three bad Celebrity cruises (Horizon, Millie, Equinox).

The Dec. 9, CEO's special meeting cruise on Constellation convinced us to cancel two booked Celebrity cruises.

The cruises mentioned weren't entirely a waste of money but other cruise lines have delivered better in total for us.

Penny

Sorry you cancelled your cruises, but sometimes it is better to just walk away instead of not enjoying the experience. After all, we want our vacations to be all they can be and if they don't meet our expectations, the vacations stop being fun. I will miss your posts and insights going forward.

Hope you enjoy all your future cruises, no matter which cruise lines you cruise with.

My wife and I take each voyage as an individual experience. We opine that much depends on corporate policies, shipboard management and the staff.

When Michael Bayley issues an edict, his underlings must comply. If that means staffing is reduced then so be it. It then passes to the various department managers to streamline methods and procedures to best service the customer base.

We have noticed cutbacks in several areas. But what we have experienced to-date is not enough to make us jump overboard from the Celebrity brand.

In fact, we sail three different lines. Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. Each brand has its own recipe. Each brand has its own flavor. And we appreciate that we have choices.

Case-in-point: we have sailed on Connie three times. Each time we climbed the gangway the vessel was the same mass of steel and other materials that were there on our first Connie itinerary.

It was the crew who changed. While I forget our first Connie Captain, I cannot forget the splendid demeanor of Captains Pagonis and Peppas on the next two Connie sailings. Surely, anyone who has sailed with Nick Pagonis will agree he is one of the most personable Masters ever to grace the bridge.

So, too, the Cruise Director and Maitre 'D can influence the cruise experience. Stewart Turnbull and Rich Clesen are our favorite CD's.

We have had some grand cabin stewards. We have had some cabin stewards who needed a good, strong kick in the caboose. It's the luck of the draw.

Assertive, motivational managers help make the cruise. No doubt many of us on this site have managerial experience. In the hospitality business, good managers who regularly interact with the guests are critical.

Speculation time. I am on the list of those who believe Celebrity is changing its target market. We first sailed aboard an "X"- flagged vessel when we were 50 years old. The music, entertainment and overall ambiance were our "cup of tea." As "X" (assuming I am correct) vies for a younger demographic it is foreseeable these components will change accordingly. And we will be left to find cruise ships that offer what gives us comfort and not headaches.

Fortunately, there are choices floating about the oceans of the world. It is best left to each of us to choose what we fancy and not mourn what used to be or what might be.

Straight Ahead!

23,24, or 25,000 pax a week 50-52 weeks a year, does not = disappointment. 6, 8, or 10 people that comment in an internet chat rooms and complain about 'stuff'? Well, they just have nothing better to do? We just booked again!:)

Edited by wallie5446

...The Dec. 9, CEO's special meeting cruise on Constellation convinced us to cancel two booked Celebrity cruises....

Just curious: Was it your experience on that cruise or some announcement the CEO made?

I think it is a little of both. The more you consume of a product, the less satisfying it becomes. That first strawberry sundae was great. The twentieth may not give you the same sense of satisfaction. We have been on 25 Celebrity cruises so either we need our heads checked or they are still doing something right. It is true some things aren't the same and we're not happy with the changes. However, we still like cruising with Celebrity and will continue to do so unless things REALLY go downhill. So far IMO that hasn't happened.

Phil...............floridacruisers

I agree!

Sometimes it is complaining, and sometimes it is feedback or letting people know information about things.

I get a bit of positive information and a bit of negative information, mix it with a bit of context, and hopefully it saves me from having to learn from my own mistakes.

For example, luggage. Some people complained about it getting lost/taken by others etc when debarking. We learnt that we can carry our own off, and we have found that has been much better for us on the last couple of trips.

Also the website. Bookings disappear. People are complaining about the prices changing unexpectedly when you change other things on your bookings. Recently one of our bookings has vanished online on the user ID of the one paying, but it still shows on the other person's. We have learnt from here not to panic.

Things have changed since we started on Celebrity....some for the better like S class ships and Blu....more specialty dining and lounges

other changes reflect changing demographics and popular culture....harpist is long gone ..can live with that but a rap dj greeting us on Silhouette was not for the better

overall Celebrity is still providing an enjoyable cruise with a decent and interesting clientele...have enjoyed meeting people and making new friends over the years...

we are not bored by any means but are waiting cautiously to see what the future cruise experience on X will be like...

Sorry you cancelled your cruises, but sometimes it is better to just walk away instead of not enjoying the experience. After all, we want our vacations to be all they can be and if they don't meet our expectations, the vacations stop being fun. I will miss your posts and insights going forward.

Hope you enjoy all your future cruises, no matter which cruise lines you cruise with.

Thank you for your very kind post.

We're taking an RCL soon and planning cruises on Princess.

We stayed w/Celebrity for Elite benefits but can't overlook the disappointments.

Penny