North cape or Iceland?

Considering a Northern Europe cruise for next year. I had pretty much decided on a 14 day north cape cruise, going as far as honningsvag , but then came across a 14 day cruise that does Bergen, alesund, and eldfjord in Norway plus 4 ports in Iceland plus a stop in the Faroe and Shetland islands, thus combining norway and Iceland. Wondered if anyone has some thoughts to share on this? Is the north cape or Iceland preferable. Anyone done both? They have 28 day cruises that combines both itineraries, but I don't think that's an option for me at this time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing about the north cape is the most northern tourist scam. It is not the most northern part of Europe or the most northern part of the main land mass of Europe.

If you have a clear day the view is spectacular and the displays are nice but nothing really must see. I would not do it unless you have some personal interest. I did it because it was a clear night, and we were there for the last day of 24 hour sunlight summer.

We are scheduled for a 7 day Norway fjords cruise but will fly with Icelandair and have a stopover in Iceland and several days pre and post cruise in the UK.. Our ports are Stavanger, Alesund, Skjolden, and Bergen. I advise to look at a good map of Norway and see which fjords --not just ports-- a cruise is visiting and also the potential excursions. I found it gave me a better idea of what we could achieve on a relatively short trip.

I totally agree with Will_Dieterich, nothing unforgettable about the North Cape. The second itinerary seems to be very original and allows you to see really differents landscapes : two beautiful norwegian towns, a fjord, amazing volcanic Iceland and......the unique light of Faroe islands! Another point to consider is that the North cape is a very usual cruise itinerary and you can do it whenever you want, the second itinerary is more original and maybe won't operate again, but, of course, it's just a personnal opinion and your choice depends on what you really want to see. Have a nice cruise!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Normally Iceland is only on a transatlantic cruise so I will go with that one instead.

I know that the Faroe Island and Shetland can normally be taken on a british Isles cruise but I think they are unique anyway and would have a high priority if i had to choose :D

Considering a Northern Europe cruise for next year. I had pretty much decided on a 14 day north cape cruise, going as far as honningsvag , but then came across a 14 day cruise that does Bergen, alesund, and eldfjord in Norway plus 4 ports in Iceland plus a stop in the Faroe and Shetland islands, thus combining norway and Iceland. Wondered if anyone has some thoughts to share on this? Is the north cape or Iceland preferable. Anyone done both? They have 28 day cruises that combines both itineraries, but I don't think that's an option for me at this time...

It would depend on how much of Norway you would like to see.

I suppose during the 14 days the ship will visit other ports in the northern part of Norway than just Honningsvåg for the North Cape?

Will the ship visit Tromsø?....The lofoten Islands?

As fascinating as Iceland is the ports in Norway are just "ok". You will miss 2 of the most beautiful fjords and highlights of Norway - Storfjord/Geiranger fjord (for the port of Geiranger) and Sognefjord/Aurlandsfjord for the port of Flåm.

Which cruiseline(s) are these cruises with?

I-cruiser, I am looking at several for the north cape... HAL, NCL & Princess. All visit Bergen, trosmo, gerainger and honningsvag, but differ in the remaking ports. The combo on HAL called northern isles sails August 1 2015 on the Ryndam. Looks to be a new itinerary... 4 ports in Iceland, 3 in Norway and the Faroe and Shetland isles. I'm thinking a little more variety on this one?

VIEW SHORE EXCURSIONSEmail this ebrochure

DayDatePortArriveDepart

0 01 Aug 2015Harwich (London), UK 04:00 PM

1 02 Aug 2015 At Sea

2 03 Aug 2015Lerwick, Shetland Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

3 04 Aug 2015Torshavn, Faroe Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

4 05 Aug 2015Djupivogur, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

5 06 Aug 2015Heimaey, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

6 07 Aug 2015Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

7 08 Aug 2015Isafjordur, Iceland 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

7 08 Aug 2015Scenic Cruising Isafjardurdjur CO

8 09 Aug 2015Akureyri, Iceland 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

8 09 Aug 2015Scenic cruising Eyjafjordur CO

9 10 Aug 2015 At Sea

10 11 Aug 2015Alesund, Norway 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

11 12 Aug 2015Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 13 Aug 2015Eidfjord, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 13 Aug 2015Scenic cruising Hardangerfjord CO

13 14 Aug 2015 At Sea

14 15 Aug 2015Harwich (London), UK 07:00 AM

Edited by bobbisailsolo

I-cruiser, I am looking at several for the north cape... HAL, NCL & Princess. All visit Bergen, trosmo, gerainger and honningsvag, but differ in the remaking ports. The combo on HAL called northern isles sails August 1 2015 on the Ryndam. Looks to be a new itinerary... 4 ports in Iceland, 3 in Norway and the Faroe and Shetland isles. I'm thinking a little more variety on this one?

VIEW SHORE EXCURSIONSEmail this ebrochure

DayDatePortArriveDepart

0 01 Aug 2015Harwich (London), UK 04:00 PM

1 02 Aug 2015 At Sea

2 03 Aug 2015Lerwick, Shetland Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

3 04 Aug 2015Torshavn, Faroe Islands 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

4 05 Aug 2015Djupivogur, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

5 06 Aug 2015Heimaey, Iceland TR 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

6 07 Aug 2015Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

7 08 Aug 2015Isafjordur, Iceland 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

7 08 Aug 2015Scenic Cruising Isafjardurdjur CO

8 09 Aug 2015Akureyri, Iceland 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

8 09 Aug 2015Scenic cruising Eyjafjordur CO

9 10 Aug 2015 At Sea

10 11 Aug 2015Alesund, Norway 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

11 12 Aug 2015Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 13 Aug 2015Eidfjord, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

12 13 Aug 2015Scenic cruising Hardangerfjord CO

13 14 Aug 2015 At Sea

14 15 Aug 2015Harwich (London), UK 07:00 AM

So the question is then if you would like to do a Norway cruise or a Iceland cruise with a few Norwegian ports.

With this itinerary you get to see one Norwegian Fjord (The Hardangerfjord). In Ålesund you would have to take a tour to see any fjords.

The Iceland itinerary is great if you have been to Norway before and would like to do a "northern islands" cruise with some Norwegian ports.

As bare as Honningsvåg and North Cape might be you visit other ports as Tromsø and probably the stunning Lofoten islands in addition to many fjords and towns.

What do you like to see the most off? Iceland or Norway? Because as others has said its not that much going on on the North Cape/Honningsvåg.

Ok... Norway it is. So now I have two choices... Princess or NCL. 5 ports are the same so it comes down to Laknes, hammerfest and Molde on NCL... Or gravdal, stavanger, and flaam on princess.

It appears that Laknes and gravdal are pretty much the same as far as excursions. My impression is the stavanger and flaam might be a better choice, as they look more picturesque. Any opinions on this?

Ok... Norway it is. So now I have two choices... Princess or NCL. 5 ports are the same so it comes down to Laknes, hammerfest and Molde on NCL... Or gravdal, stavanger, and flaam on princess.

It appears that Laknes and gravdal are pretty much the same as far as excursions. My impression is the stavanger and flaam might be a better choice, as they look more picturesque. Any opinions on this?

Gravdal, Stavanger, and Flåm on Princess - Thats your cruise right there.:D

1: Never done Princess but I know I would prefer them to NCL (not a favorite of mine)

2: Stavanger with its old town and the option to visit Lysefjord and the Pulpit.

3: Lofoten Islands!!

4: Flåm - The raiway, Aegir brewery :). the Aurlands/Sognefjord - pure beauty.

Excellent choice.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I - Cruiser

Just staring to do my research on our next cruise. Your information was really helpful.

I am still struggling with the different itineraries. We have not been to this part of the world at all, so all is new to us.

This so far seems to be my favorite. Would you give me your opinion? and if possible, the 'must sees' at each of these ports? It a 14 day, round trip from South Hampton.

Faroe Islands: Klaksvid

Iceland: Reykjavic and Akureyri

Norway: Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, Stavanger

thanks so much.

I - Cruiser

Just staring to do my research on our next cruise. Your information was really helpful.

I am still struggling with the different itineraries. We have not been to this part of the world at all, so all is new to us.

This so far seems to be my favorite. Would you give me your opinion? and if possible, the 'must sees' at each of these ports? It a 14 day, round trip from South Hampton.

Faroe Islands: Klaksvid

Iceland: Reykjavic and Akureyri

Norway: Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, Stavanger

thanks so much.

Thank you for your kind words.

I can not say much about Iceland and Faroe Islands.

Here is a thread about Iceland already and I am sure you will find many helpful answers and information there.

As for Geiranger and Ålesund: I have a thread called: "Can help with Ålesund and Norwegian Fjords". (Its right here at the Northern Europe Forum)

I would advice you to read through that thread and when you have any questions I am more than happy to help you out:)

Stavanger:

I would visit the old part of town. The white wooden buildings are really quaint. There is also Stavanger Cathedral dating back to 1125.

Lysefjord is also another must see IMO.

The fjord is more rugged, more wild and bare compared to the fjords at the western part of Norway.

Your ship might have a tour to Lysefjord with a stop at the Pulpit.

If you go by boat to Lysefjord from Stavanger you will sail in another fjord called Høgsfjorden.

There are also plenty other things to see and do in and around Stavanger.

I can mention:

Månefossen (the moon waterfall)

Blåfjell Mines.

Broken Column monument.

A farm dating back from the Iron age (350AD-550AD)

The Oil Museum.

Ulster Monastery.

As you can see lots of interesting things to see and do in and around Stavanger. It will depend if you would like to diy, do ships tours or private tours.

Olden:

I think what most do is take a tour to the Briksdal glacier.

You may also take a boat excursion on the Lovatnet (the lake of Loen) and the oldevatnet (the lake of Olden) which is set in the heart of Jostedalsbreen (Josteedals glacier) national park.

You may also do Helicopter rides and have fantastic views of the glaciers an fjords.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1875537

I hope this helps some. Let me know if you have other questions.

Lars