Casually Elegant -- Please spell it out!

DD

Casually elegant can go in so many different directions. We're doing the Med in September. What is the typical attire at dinner? DH has a lot of suits and similar as that is his normal attire; however, if we don't have to drag them around Europe, that would be our preference. We spend a lot of our real life time dressed up so one of the selling features of Windstar was the dress code.

For men -- are khaki's and a polo shirt acceptable at dinner? Are nicer slacks and a button down shirt (dress shirt that you could wear with a tie & jacket or stand alone) better?

For women -- should I throw a couple of sun dresses or casual dresses in my suitcase? Are pants and a nice top acceptable?

I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a suit at dinner on our two Windstar cruises.

Khaki's and a polo are acceptable for men. That would put the fellow at about the most casual end of the acceptable range (except for the night of the deck barbeque when shorts were allowed but not necessarily advisable as the evening temperature was a little cool on deck at Santorini in June). Nicer shirts were common - usually not the kind of dress shirt a man would wear with a tie or a suit. For example, resort-type button shirts like Tommy Bahamma or a nice silk shirt. I didn't notice if many of the guys were wearing nicer slacks than khakis.

For women: If khaki's and a polo are acceptable for men, then I figure they should be for women as well. I wore that some nights. However, on the average the women look more dressed up then the men and there is a lot more range in what the women wear. I saw plenty of pants outfits. Pants and a nice top would also be acceptable. At least a few times I saw the "little black dress" or a cocktail dress. I think most sun dresses or casual dresses would be fine (though I'm not sure of everyone's definition of those).

Straight from the Windstar guide....(slightly paraphrased) (first paragraph, general information section page 78 of the 2006/2007 sailing atlas received yesterday)

Imaginative, yet relaxed. Stylish, yet comfortable. Just as you would dress at an elegant resort. Clothes that are light and cool (assuming a warm climate, I hope), made of natural fabrics like cotton, linen and silk. Evening for women, sun dresses, pants, informal cocktail attire. Men, Lightweight trousers and short sleeved dress shirts/ polos. No shorts, jeans or T-shirts in the restaurant (or Bistro (Windsurf only)).

On our recent Athens to Rome cruise, we had more people who fractured this dress code than on any Windstar cruise before. Jeans, T-Shirts, beach sandals, sweatshirts, and baseball hats were seen in the dining room for the first few days until enough people complained, and then still a few of the children and a small collection of "peculiar" people continued to try and violate the most liberal dress code of any luxury cruise line.

I'll give you my defintion, as I see it for men. Khaki's and polos are casual. But are they elegant? As New_Cruiser wrote, Tommy Bahama (and many others) offer the "stylish and imaginative" selections you'd probaly want to see on fellow passengers. And occasionally, men do wear a sports coat to dinner, but never a tie. And of course, jeans, t-shirts (even nice silk ones) should not be worn in the dining room.

This is a great line with fabulous ships and the best crew in the industry. Only need to tidy up some of the passengers and I'd have an even harder time leaving than I already do. Hope I've provided some useful guidance.

Bon Voyage

Thanks -- I appreciate the input. Yes, I've read the brochure; however, as most will agree, the brochure doesn't always tell the whole story. That's why I posted a question as to what was actually seen on the ship. Both posts were helpful answers. Thank you.

I guess we'll have to do a bit of shopping--oh what a tragedy ;) I do wish I had started this process earlier in the season. It's hard to believe that in the midst of this blasted 90+ degree heatwave inferno, stores are clearancing out their summer merchandise and bringing in fall wardrobes.

DH lives in suits & ties. He has plenty of those in his wardrobe. He's also well suited for the golf course in golf shirts. However, that in between Tommy Bahama look isn't particularly prevalent in his closet. I mean he has a couple, but not 7 nights worth. So, we'll have to figure something out.

As far as shorts in the dining room, is Windstar like most cruiselines in that shorts are acceptable at breakfast? Or do they expect you to change between breakfast and going ashore? The Med can be quite hot in August & September and we're going to some great beach destinations.

As far as shorts in the dining room, is Windstar like most cruiselines in that shorts are acceptable at breakfast? Or do they expect you to change between breakfast and going ashore? The Med can be quite hot in August & September and we're going to some great beach destinations.

Breakfast and Lunch is served in the Veranda Cafe. You can wear almost anything in there. Shorts and flip-flops were fine. But, cover-up, it can get cold in there.

Like your husband, I live in suits. But I also love Hawiian shirts. I usually wore those during the day, everywhere. I have some rather nice ones which I wore for dinner with dress slacks, socks and shoes. Don't even bring a tie or suit coat. I also, sometimes, wore a plain dress shirt instead of the prints.

For dinner, my DW would sometimes wear a pareo.

My husband also doesn't have much in the way of shirts between polos and dress shirts. I wouldn't worry about it too much - there were men wearing polos and the Windstar description of men's evening ware includes polos. Also, he probably doesn't need 7 shirts for 7 nights. He could wear his couple of Tommy Bahama shirts a couple of dinners each and wear nice polos on the other nights.

• 2 weeks later...

I second Upgrademe's comments. We just returned from the Aug. 3 Venice-Rome cruise on Wind Surf & I was distressed to see the number of people wearing jeans in the dining room at night. There were a number of children & young teens on board who occasionally wore shorts to dinner. I can't believe that people who can afford to take children on an upscale cruise like this can't put them in long pants for dinner. It is my only complaint about the whole cruise & I mentioned it in my comment form at the end of the cruise.

My husband took 3 "Tommy Bahama" type shirts and alternated them a couple of linen shirts with "dress" khakis. It was fine. The women were a little dressier than the men but I found that to be the case on Wind Surf in the Caribbean last year.

The ship looked great, the crew was superb, the food was fabulous & we loved the ports. I wish I were going with you!

Archived