Drink packages - are they really worth it?

Let me start with an apology for yet another "drink package" post. I've searched these boards and never really got an answer to what I was looking for, which is how do other passengers feel about the value of the various drink packages offered by RCI. I realize this is totally subjective, and really depends on your personal habits and desires. So I don't expect anyone can tell me if a drink package would be a good value for me, or which one is the right one. I would however appreciate comments from recent travelers who have purchased a drink package on your cruise. Are you glad you paid for this package, or do you have any regrets for doing so? Did any purchase a drink package part way into their vacation, and if so, how did that work out. Our up coming cruise will be 9 nights, so with the extra nights it would be even more expensive for us.

I would love to hear from others who recently cruised and purchased a drink package - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!

One thing I'd point out is that RC is still reconciling their events that have alcohol built in as part of the cost (i.e., Prohibition party on Oasis/Allure, wine tastings at Vintages, Park 150 wine pairing, Chef's Table, etc) with the drink package. On a recent Oasis cruise, my brother asked Park 150 how they handle the issue of drink packages and the wine pairing they offer. The manager acknowledged it was an issue, and they were considering offering a partial discount to beverage package purchasers, but it wasn't available yet. I think this is kind of a silly deal breaker for those who want to do Park 150 with the pairing and/or chef's table, since it forces you to pay twice. I also don't believe they have any accommodation or reduced pricing for chef's table at this point, but am not 100% sure.

So, to weigh in on that front, I'd say if you're considering the various dining options or parties that include alcohol, that's a downside to the package, because RC hasn't quite worked out the kinks yet. It may or may not be a deal breaker, but something to consider.

Worth it for US, we had our first drink package on the Indy and were thrilled to learn Carnival had a version on our next cruise with them, since then its a no-brainer (for us) We like to drink, top shelf brands- I like ordering fun driks I wouldn't normally want to try for fear of wasting $, I like bloody marys with breakfast and wine with dinner and cocktails in the evening. I like having a preset amount so theres no bar tab surprise. I REALLY like hearing RCCL extends the packages to their private islands (we have an upcoming stop at Labadee) I like that the soda cup is now included and bottled water.

Let me start with an apology for yet another "drink package" post. I've searched these boards and never really got an answer to what I was looking for, which is how do other passengers feel about the value of the various drink packages offered by RCI. I realize this is totally subjective, and really depends on your personal habits and desires. So I don't expect anyone can tell me if a drink package would be a good value for me, or which one is the right one. I would however appreciate comments from recent travelers who have purchased a drink package on your cruise. Are you glad you paid for this package, or do you have any regrets for doing so? Did any purchase a drink package part way into their vacation, and if so, how did that work out. Our up coming cruise will be 9 nights, so with the extra nights it would be even more expensive for us.

I would love to hear from others who recently cruised and purchased a drink package - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!

I got the unlimited everything drink package on the allure and I can say that I both liked it and regretted it. On the upside it made things ultra convenient. On the downside it made things TOO convenient and I probably drank more than was healthy for me. Next time I'll not get the unlimited alcohol package as it will force me to pay for and think about each drink.

We had the $55 per day package on the Explorer back in February.

We thought it was definitely worth it and so did my parents.

For the record, we are in our 40's and my parents are in their 60's.

We love our all inclusive vacations so the package made it feel more AI.

I created an Excel worksheet (yep, total geek) to calculate the real Cost Per Drink (CPD) which listed the drinks from posted menus, the ingredients and the price in US$ from those menus, then had a column to add the per drink gratuity ... Which gave me my CPD.

With the Premium package including bottled water and soda (we'll be on Jewel, do we'll have the Freestyle machines) and the freedom to try whatever drinks I want, the Premium package makes sense for me. My husband will probably do the a Royal Replenish for his fresh OJ and special coffees, along with our 2 bottles of wine and he'll be fine. We are over 50 (!) - but not dead :-) - and not Diamond, so no free drinks for us :-(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We got the premium drink package on the Allure. Although DH only drinks beer and I do not drink much, it was worth it to us. We enjoyed having it paid off before the cruise, not having to keep track of the spending, being able to try different drinks without worrying about wasting it, and DH could get my frozen drinks for me. It was convenient and fun. We did not drink too much. Probably broke even money wise. We will get it for our next cruise!

I got the Royal Replenish on our last 10 day cruise on the Grandeur...I thought it was worth it.....yes, I had more Frappuccino's then I would of if I didn't purchase the package...but really enjoyed 3 of them a day, soda was nice around the pool and dinner and shows...then really liked the bottled water for in my room and port days. I only a couple times got the fresh squeezed orange juice...but did like it. It was our first time doing it. We've always just had the soda package. Now we are diamond so we do get free drinks in the evening at the diamond lounge.

But I didn't know that you could just purchase certain days...we pre ordered this before our cruise.

So to anyone that did just days how did they mark your card? I think that would be better yet on sea days if you can do it that way.

I got the Royal Replenish on our last 10 day cruise on the Grandeur...I thought it was worth it.....yes, I had more Frappuccino's then I would of if I didn't purchase the package...but really enjoyed 3 of them a day, soda was nice around the pool and dinner and shows...then really liked the bottled water for in my room and port days. I only a couple times got the fresh squeezed orange juice...but did like it. It was our first time doing it. We've always just had the soda package. Now we are diamond so we do get free drinks in the evening at the diamond lounge.

But I didn't know that you could just purchase certain days...we pre ordered this before our cruise.

So to anyone that did just days how did they mark your card? I think that would be better yet on sea days if you can do it that way.

You must purchase for at least 4 days, and whenever you purchase it must extend to the end of the cruise. For example, you cannot have the package for day 2 and day 4. However, on a 7 day cruise, you could have the package for days 4-7.

We had this on Oasis last year. It was very convenient, and if you didn't like something, it was no big deal to not pay for it. We also didn't have sticker shock at the end of the cruise with a surprising bar bill.

However, we are not purchasing it for our next cruise. Mostly because we have 5 port stops and one sea day. You have to be on the ship to take advantage of the pre-paid drinks!

Ann

I have never been able to get the value proposition to work out for me. So in my case it is not worth it. Between C&A discounts, wine allowance, time off the ship in port, and access to Diamond Lounge I simply could not drink another almost $400 of alcohol in a week.

We bought the package when we were on Celebrity and loved it. Definitely worth the value and I agree with statements made about not having sticker shock at the end of the cruise and I like being able to try different drinks without worrying if I don't like it. I also like that it extends to Labadee. I am happy to see packages are now offered on RC and will be taking advantage of it! :D We're over 40 too. :p

You must purchase for at least 4 days, and whenever you purchase it must extend to the end of the cruise. For example, you cannot have the package for day 2 and day 4. However, on a 7 day cruise, you could have the package for days 4-7.

I see...thanks for the understanding...guess I will just purchase it for the whole cruise our 13 day cruise. I think is just to everyone that their own personal use I also forgot I got some speciality tea from star bucks also. But it could be something I could have or do without if I needed to save money.:D

I think there are benefits to the package as well as a couple thoughts:

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Jewel and both of us purchased the Premium Package. Drink for drink, I think we more than got our moneys worth because the package included drinks and tips. We did find that we consumed more than usual, not that we felt we needed to but that we tried drinks we normally would not have tried, in addition to our normal martinis and Scotch. It was also nice to get bottled water and soft drinks at any time.

Another nice thing was the bartenders became familiar with us, more than normal, and there was a genuine friendliness after a while. That may have more to do with the rapport we built with them.

On the other hand, part of the good rapport may have been, in part, all the extra tipping.:) After each exchange, they provide you with a receipt so you can track you drinks. We felt a little like we should add a tip to each one knowing full well that tips are aleady included. We added tips to those who really deserved tham and not all bartenders got extra from us. That said, the package may have cost as much, if not more, when the extra tips were included. In short, if you tend to tip well, you may not be saving much with this package.

As far as comparing this to an AI land vacation, please don't. In January we spent a week at a high end AI; El Dorado Royale on the Mexican Riviera, and while the drinks were included they were terrible by comparison to cruise ship drinks. While the AI could not mess up my Scotch (I drink it neat) and beer, the mixed drinks were, accross the board, terrible. It took most of the week there to find someone who could make a decent martini.

I think there is, definately, a place for the drink package. Unless we take a cruise with many sea days, we probably won't purchase another. Good luck with your decision.

Great question. I was trying to find the same answer. I think I will buy it, especially now that not everyone has to purchase too.

He does not drink so before I would have to down like 700 dollars worth of drinks. I am good but not that good !!!

So one soda & one alcohol please. And no we don't share before I get flamed - I don't do tonic & like I said he doesn't drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Did allure a couple of weeks ago, my wife enjoys mixed/frozen drinks so we bought the package for her.

I don't believe we really "saved" money but she did enjoy it a lot more as she was able to order exotic/strange drinks without feeling like she had wasted $10 if she didn't like it.

We bought the package on day two so we had it for 3 sea days , labadee day and then stayed on board the ship for the day in Jamaica so the only day we didn't really get any value from it was the day in Cozumel.

I think if you have a lot of port days and plan to get off the ship then the value drops pretty fast.

We did the Premium package on Allure last week. We thought it was worth it. We usually buy the wine package, soda package and the bottled water package (The larger ones delivered to the room). Having smaller bottled water to walk around with was better. By the time you included the wine, water and soda with the extra drinks we have, it was worth it. We found we had a drink or two before dinner that we normally wouldn't do.

Thanks!

You ever go to a restaurant, or even a McDonalds and get the special? Now, that special got you into the door right? What comes next? A $2.59 ice tea that cost $0.20 to make and some other sides, or dessert. The profits are in the extra's, and not the main course. Cruise ships are the same way. The drink package is a "poor" value as a stand alone item, just like one beer is not a good "value" either. However, in the big picture of things, and if you expect and are willing to pay the price and also, accept in your mind, the price of the cruise as one big price, and not the multiple small items that is tacked on, than the "value" is good. Prepaid, no receipts, no tracking, and if you drink enough to break even or better than why not. $385.00 for the week is acceptable for me and since I already paid for it, it is forgotten and merged into the total price of the trip!!!!!!!

I think it would depend on how much you drink typically. My first cruise I racked up a $600 bill (7 night). I'm not sure what I was drinking but whatever it was, it was good & expensive! So for me, it would have been worth it. Now this cruise, I'll be having maybe a glass or 2 of wine (pregnant) & I'm sure my husband won't be drinking enough to justify the cost. Only you can decide it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were given it for free, (don't know why), we found out when we boarded on a 14 day transatlantic with 8 consecutive sea days (nov last year). As d+ we obviously get drinks in the lounges so we wouldn't have bought it. For us , no it was not good value, we probably drank a little more than usual, for example a glass of wine or beer with lunch. We did like the convenience and being able to drink in the various locations. Even without the drinks in the lounges we still don't drink enough to get anywhere near, even on sea days, so no not worth it for us. But each to their own.