Entertainment book

2cruz

I've read that it's worthwhile to get the Entertainment book. Can anyone tell me if there are coupons for any tours in there, what type of discount for one day car rentals, or is it mostly for dining coupons. Thanks.

here are a few:

1 Body Glove Cruises on Kona-Yes, 2 for 1, valid anytime.

2. Royal Pacific Limousine - 50% off, up to $50, 3 hour minimum. In Honolulu. There are 3 of these coupons in the book.

3. I booked Safari Air online @ saved $$$ it was 139/person, regularly 209. You pay now, so that is why the discount. I saw no Heli tour coupons in the book

4. Luau coupons are for :

Germaine 25% off up to 4 adults

paradise Cove - 25% off up to 4 adults

island Breeze in Kona-25% off up to 4 adults

Marriott Luau Maui -25% off of buffet up to 4 adults

Royal kona Luau - 25% off off dinner show up to 4 adults

Royal Lahania Luau - 25% off off dinner show up to 4 adults

Also -

Buy one get 1 free Polynesian Culture Center admission $27 value

Lots & lots buy 1 get 2nd free lunch/dinner meals

20% coupon for Hilo hatties, max $25

many many more...parasailing, kayaking, zoos, movies, batting cages, go cart rides etc

Here is a thread about this as well...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=159779

If you go to the Entertainment web site and select Hawaii as your location and type in a town (e.g., Kihei or Honolulu), you can pull up the coupons that are included in that book.

http://www.entertainment.com

There are a few worthwhile coupons but a lot of time you can find the same or better through the on-island activity desks or in all of the little free magazines you'll find all over the islands.

So do you think it's worthwhile to purchase the book or are the coupons repeated in the free magazines.

Not many of the coupons are repeated. And by using one or two coupons for dinner will pay for the book alone. Even as a local I get the book because some of my favorite restaurants are in there.

Suebee and Speen - have you tried these?

Don Ho's

Nick's Fish Market

Sunset Grill

Canoes at the Ilikai

Hecocks Lahaina

Loberster and Crab House

Meriage

Neptune's GardenReilleys

Royal Ocean Terrace Lahaina

Seafood Village

Ale House Maui

Kit n Kitchen

Nick's Cafe

Arnold's Beach Pub

Cheers

Fernandos Maui

Ricardos Kauai

Ye Old Fox and Hounds

All are Honolulu unless otherwise specified

Many thanks; you folks are the greatest!

Donna- I have been to Don Ho's, both the show and restaurant. The restaurant has a pleasent setting, nice music, kvetchy pizza (on surboards). I had the Mushu which was WAY too strong of flavors for me. Not hot spicey, but I just wasnt used to so many strong flavors at once. My husband had a scallop pasta which he LOVED at the time but it came back on him that night...couldve been illness (it was going around) or couldve been the fish....we'll never know. My kids had the keiki meals. So we might go back to try something different because we like going to the tower.

I have heard good things about Nicks Fish Market, Sunset Grill and Neptune's Garden but havent tried.

We tried Seafood Village. Well, we didnt use the coupon and we didnt order from the menu...they had some kind of special they were advertising off the street. I have to say it was the worst meal I have ever eaten in a restaurant...ever. And I am generous with praise normally. The restaurant did get an Ilima award some SOMEBODY likes it.

We havent tried the others but then we try to stay a little closer to home since we have kids.

Sandy, I love California Beach Rock N Sushi. I love their sushi and all of their food. They have a $10.95 dinner special every night. Its Miso Soup, Salad, tempura shrimp and vegetables, a piece of meat either Salmon or Chicken I think (We always get the Salmon), 3 pieces of Nigri Sushi, Sashimi or California Rolls, and rice. You simply cannot beat the price....the food is terrific and the portion is surely big enough! The place is small and there is always a line after 5:30. If you get there when it opens, sushi at the bar is .99 for happy hour.

We also like to go to Tanaka of Tokyo for family celebrations. It is Teppanyaki style (hibachi grilled food at your table by the drama chef). Reasonable prices and excellent food. My kids get a keiki meal which is the same as the adult meal without the soup and salad for $10.

Also at Ward Center (where C.B.R.N.S is) we like Compadres...a mexican restaurant with a really nice fajita salad and 'kids eat free' on Sunday. (El Charro has a coupon but its too far out of Waikiki for you....but a lot of us locals go there!) Brew Moon is a chain which you may know. We have never been impressed with the food, but we like to dine and see a movie at Ward so the coupon gets used. The sunday paper will have a coupon once a month (A HUGE steak meal plus appetizer and dessert for $36) for Stuart Andersons at Ward Center (and other locations). Probably the best steak house around for our family. Much better than Outback. Very large portions so you dont even have to get the kids meals but they have them.

Without a coupon, Bucca Di Beppo at Ward will give you family style italian at bargain prices with huge portions. A great place for a budget.

E&O Trading at Ward (yep, we love our Ward Center) has wonderful dining..small portions but excellent food! We wont take the kids there because service is and atmosphere is more on the fine side. No coupons out yet.

I think the rest of the places are out of town. We spend so much time at Ward when we do go downtown that we hardly get to the other restaurants in our book!

Don Ho's - bah, don't bother

Nick's Fishmarket - very good the last time I tried. But that was over 7-8 yrs ago and the chef has changed since then so it might be different now.

Sunset Grill - good. Not sure if it's worth your time to track down but decent food.

Meritage - are they still open? I thought they closed.

Neptune's Garden (in the Pacific Beach Hotel) - Sweet Emi here will rave about them. I haven't been in a while either (this one is over 15 yrs now) but don't remember it being that good back then. 'Course, things have probably changed for them as well.

Kit N Kitchen - I want to try this restaurant! I've been meaning to try it for a while now but it's a little out of my way to get to. Plus, it's near the University of Hawaii campus area which tends not to have the best parking availability. Kind of a fusion between Italian and Chinese food.

Hope this helps :)

Spleen

(beachchick here)

There are car rental coupons, but they specifically exclude Hawaii. They are good anywhere else in the US though. We were rather peeved--it's a Hawaii book after all. It seems that many of the coupons for car rental, air, and the like are in all the Entertainment books and don't always apply to the specific state or region.

beachchick

Thanks so much for your responses. We are staying in the Honolulu/Waikiki area post cruise for a week and wanted to know where to go eat besides at the hotel. Out of town locations for lunch are okay, too.

Well, if your up in Haleiwa (Noth Shore area), there is a coupon for a couple of places in the North Shore Marketplace. One is Kono's Epic Food and Drink. It is totally a hole in the wall place. Breakfast is served until 1 and their breakfasts are cheap and delicious. I have also had their chicken burrito (I forget the exact name, but it was stuffed with rice and a sweet pineappley sauce) and it was really tasty. It is a neat stop if you dont want to wait in line for some of the other places closer to the beach. But then, if Giovannis Shrimp Truck is down there (you'll know its open by the crowds) you must go there!

I read that there is a 2 for 1 coupon for the Arizona. Is this true? Thanks

Must be a tour. The Arizona doesn't charge admission so yes, technically it's 2 for 1 for that matter, it could be 10 for 1. :D The 2-for-1 that you're seeing is probably for a shuttle to take you to the Arizona.

And as for where to get the Entertainment book:

http://www.entertainment.com/

Plug in any of the Hawaii zip codes (for instance, 96814) to find the right one.

Spleen

The "Arizona" coupons I see are actually for the Missouri Memorial (not free...enjoy 4 admissions at 50% off) and the Bowfin Museum (also not free - 2 for 1) which are near the Arizona Memorial. There is no coupon that I see for the Arizona which would be rather redundant as Spleen suggested (FREE).

Usually the new books come out in August or so, so keep an eye out - it shouldn't be long now!

Around April or so - they usually drop their prices to $10 - which is still good until November, so that is a very good deal if you are traveling then.

Emi

We are cruising on the Wind October 15th. If you are cruising with us and would like to have any of the coupons that we are not using we would be glad to share them. I plan on leaving the book on the Wind as they are only good until November 1st and the next set of cruisers will be the last to use this book. If you are interested let me know!

Theresa:)

• 1 year later...

Archived