Gala Brunch is a cotton candy machine

Caymon

Gala brunch is gone on Silhouette, as discussed in another thread. It wasn't terrible that it was gone, but they should've gone cold turkey instead of what they're doing now.

On the April 6 Silhouette Western, here's how they executed the "replacement" for the brunch.

• Breakfast was normal in Oceanview. Same offerings and times.
  • Lunch stations were about 1/2 different. Sushi was offered, along with more variety at the stations, but nothing new. Many offerings were in unusual places.
  • There were two chocolate fountains stuffed where a tray of utensils would normally be found. They were noisy and too high to be used by most. A big fat bowl of marshmallows sat next to each. Maybe some fruit.
  • Three ice sculptures were rolled into the middle of walkways. They were just in the way.
  • There were no bakery sculptures, no enormous dessert display, not a shrimp cocktail in sight. No breakfast items at all.
  • The offering that jumped the shark for me was the enormous, well-worn tub of a cotton candy machine, flinging pathetically small threads of pink sugar onto sharpened barbecue skewers. Between the ice cream and the pizza. Cotton candy.

Again, I'm not really too upset about the disappearing brunch. I'm disappointed, and my teen girl will be too next time she sails, but I'm not crushed about it.

But it did seem cheap, and the cotton candy machine was just silly. Just do a normal lunch, please, not a half-baked fake makeup brunch.

Edited by Caymon

Chocolate and white chocolate fountains were not loud and not where people couldn't reach them. Never did I see somebody having an issue reaching to use them. The ice sculptures where not in the way.

The cotton candy maker was next to the ice cream just beyond the sprinkles and jimmies for toppings. I thought the maker was not out of place where they put it and based on the line it sure looked like a hit.

My daughter and myself thought it was fun.

This replacement "brunch" was an utter disgrace, no plates, no cutlery, no glasses, less than stellar choices ( the "sushi" was simply awful the whole trip) cost cutting and more cost cutting by a previously premium line that is sinking fast into mediocracy.

Spoke to several other regular Belgian Celebrity cruisers. ( elite and elite plus) They just came back from a Panama Transit. They had it with Celebrity and will spend their Euros elsewhere until quality is restored, and so will we.

This replacement "brunch" was an utter disgrace, no plates, no cutlery, no glasses, less than stellar choices ( the "sushi" was simply awful the whole trip) cost cutting and more cost cutting by a previously premium line that is sinking fast into mediocracy.

Spoke to several other regular Belgian Celebrity cruisers. ( elite and elite plus) They just came back from a Panama Transit. They had it with Celebrity and will spend their Euros elsewhere until quality is restored, and so will we.

Huh. And yet the previous poster found it pleasant and fun. Guess it just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time!

Trust me, the experienced Celebrity cruisers were not amused by the changes on my sailing 23/03.

A real shame as the crew onboard Silhouette is fantastic as always and also do not like unhappy repeat customers.

Gala brunch is gone on Silhouette, as discussed in another thread. It wasn't terrible that it was gone, but they should've gone cold turkey instead of what they're doing now.

On the April 6 Silhouette Western, here's how they executed the "replacement" for the brunch.

• Breakfast was normal in Oceanview. Same offerings and times.
  • Lunch stations were about 1/2 different. Sushi was offered, along with more variety at the stations, but nothing new. Many offerings were in unusual places.
  • There were two chocolate fountains stuffed where a tray of utensils would normally be found. They were noisy and too high to be used by most. A big fat bowl of marshmallows sat next to each. Maybe some fruit.
  • Three ice sculptures were rolled into the middle of walkways. They were just in the way.
  • There were no bakery sculptures, no enormous dessert display, not a shrimp cocktail in sight. No breakfast items at all.
  • The offering that jumped the shark for me was the enormous, well-worn tub of a cotton candy machine, flinging pathetically small threads of pink sugar onto sharpened barbecue skewers. Between the ice cream and the pizza. Cotton candy.

Again, I'm not really too upset about the disappearing brunch. I'm disappointed, and my teen girl will be too next time she sails, but I'm not crushed about it.

But it did seem cheap, and the cotton candy machine was just silly. Just do a normal lunch, please, not a half-baked fake makeup brunch.

This does not sound appealing to me at all.

Maybe this was something like a temporary solution until they find a better way.

On my Eclipse cruise (14days 22nd of march) the brunch was just gone. So at least this is an improvement to our brunch ;)

A question for Caymon: Was the MDR open for lunch the day the "brunch" was held in the buffet?

Sorry, I don't know. We rarely use the MDR for breakfast or lunch. I still enjoy Oceanview's breakfast and we're huge fans of AquaSpa Cafe, which still did have a daily fish offering, even if it wasn't the formerly amazing tuna.

Maybe the ship was trying to do something nice, knowing that some would miss the Gala Brunch. Well, I guess no good deed goes unpunished and is always complained about on here!

That's exactly what they were doing. If it's a permanent replacement, I hope they'll use some of the feedback from boards like this to improve it.

That's exactly what they were doing. If it's a permanent replacement, I hope they'll use some of the feedback from boards like this to improve it.

I hope they listen to all their customers, those on here and those that are not on here. That is what their surveys are for.

Just goes to show you how people are different - I was wondering where to get cotton candy on the ship without having to book QSine. The only other place I've seen it was in mini bowls at the Gala Brunch. My SO is partial to the stuff and it is his first Celebrity cruise. Normally I'd skip the brunch (did it once, was too crowded for me) but he might pop in briefly to get some cotton candy. Or we will book QSine and ask for a big portion.

I hope they listen to all their customers, those on here and those that are not on here. That is what their surveys are for.

Surveys, what surveys? Unfortunately they are going to electronic comment cards that are not getting out to all their passengers.

Maybe the ship was trying to do something nice, knowing that some would miss the Gala Brunch. Well, I guess no good deed goes unpunished and is always complained about on here!

We were on this cruise and had a wonderful time. There were plenty of people enjoying the chocolate fountain, sushi, and cotton candy. I didn't realize at the time that it was an attempt to replace the brunch. Just thought it was another very nice day in the oceanview café.

The staff and servers on the Silhouette were exceptional. Nothing was too much for them to do to make us happy. Admittedly, we are not particularly demanding but do occasionally have special requests.

As some seem to insist, "This is Cruise Critic, so we are required to complain". :D

Golden Coral advertises a cotton candy machine. This is a very unpleasant direction to be headed in...

They also advertise that they serve food, so I guess that makes serving food on a cruise ship an "unpleasant direction to be headed in...."?

Not sure if we should look forward to our upcoming cruise in August or not.

Just because of cotton candy? Really? If this is all that it takes to ruin your cruise, better cancel NOW!!!

Edited by boogs

It would be terrific if they had cotton candy one day, snow cones on a different day....it would liven up the buffet. Likely this was a one off..but it seems like a great idea....or better yet, serve those free somewhere around the pool.

Edited by ghstudio

I like cotton candy. Hope they do it on the M class.

However, it seems ridiculous to talk about it as a substitute for the fancy brunch. Whether you liked the fancy brunch or not, why not just take the cotton candy/chocolate fountain for what they are - fun enhancements?

I recall one cruise during Super Bowl...they served...wait for it...HOT DOGS in the small lounge where they had the big screen tv with the game on. People actually complained...we pay all this money for a cruise to eat HOT DOGS?? Well, they were trying to capture a "game day" party for everyone...do you all serve filet mignon and lobster at your Super Bowl parties on land??