Gala Brunch is a cotton candy machine

Caymon

Why are so many people so willing to accept cutbacks on Celebrity? I'm with the OP, what they provided was a poor substitute for what I thought was a nice brunch.

On Century last week there was no brunch. When I asked the head waiter why, he told me it was the US governments fault as they had specified there needed to be sneeze guards over the food. A BS answer, Instead of using sneeze guards Celebrity took the opportunity to do yet another cut back.

We were on this cruise and had a wonderful time. There were plenty of people enjoying the chocolate fountain, sushi, and cotton candy. I didn't realize at the time that it was an attempt to replace the brunch. Just thought it was another very nice day in the oceanview café.

The staff and servers on the Silhouette were exceptional. Nothing was too much for them to do to make us happy. Admittedly, we are not particularly demanding but do occasionally have special requests.

Glad you enjoyed it. I've had the same kind of cruising experiences that you voiced. I'd love the chocolate fountain and cotton candy, you can keep the sushi LOL!

Why are so many people so willing to accept cutbacks on Celebrity? I'm with the OP, what they provided was a poor substitute for what I thought was a nice brunch.

On Century last week there was no brunch. When I asked the head waiter why, he told me it was the US governments fault as they had specified there needed to be sneeze guards over the food. A BS answer, Instead of using sneeze guards Celebrity took the opportunity to do yet another cut back.

Apparently the CDC disagrees with you.

Health Practices on Cruise Ships: Selfservice buffet. There are various requirements for selfservice buffets. They include having an effective sneeze guard to prevent potential contamination, having a serving utensil for each food item on the serving buffet, and ensuring that customer plates are not reused and customer eating utensils are not brought to the buffet.

Apparently the CDC disagrees with you.

Health Practices on Cruise Ships: Selfservice buffet. There are various requirements for selfservice buffets. They include having an effective sneeze guard to prevent potential contamination, having a serving utensil for each food item on the serving buffet, and ensuring that customer plates are not reused and customer eating utensils are not brought to the buffet.

Read my post again..... It's easy for you to find because you quoted it in your post......I never said that I was against sneeze guards, I think they should be used!:rolleyes:

My issue was that Celebrity, instead of supplying sneeze guards for the Brunch, they took the opportunity to cut back on what I thought was a very good event. If they were not intent on cutting back, they would have come up with guards. They figured it out for the cheaper buffet.

Edited by sanjoseca

This requirement is certainly not new...so it raises several issues, none of which are good.

1) if this has been a requirement for a while, why has celebrity ignored it for so long;

2) how is it possible that the health inspectors just found the issue?

3) if this issue has been ignored, how many other health requirements are they also ignoring?

I choose to believe none of the above...but believe someone in hq decided to misinform the folks on the ships to cover a cost saving move.

This requirement is certainly not new...so it raises several issues, none of which are good.

1) if this has been a requirement for a while, why has celebrity ignored it for so long;

2) how is it possible that the health inspectors just found the issue?

3) if this issue has been ignored, how many other health requirements are they also ignoring?

I choose to believe none of the above...but believe someone in hq decided to misinform the folks on the ships to cover a cost saving move.

Why don't they offer an sit down order off an upscale menu for a brunch in the mdr once per cruise then

Whether you liked the fancy brunch or not, why not just take the cotton candy/chocolate fountain for what they are - fun enhancements?

Chocolate fountains were not my favorite when they were at the brunch. I always wondered how those things ever passed a health inspection. They are pretty to look at.

They ARE fun enhancements. In fact, they belong on a fun ship. Maybe they'll add funnel cakes and really capture that carnival atmosphere.

Edited by Caymon

Not sure if we should look forward to our upcoming cruise in August or not.

YOU SHOULD! Celebrity is excellent. It's evolving, but it's excellent. I predict you'll be very pleased and if you haven't seen the brunch, you won't miss it.

I like this. It would be a great feature that meets the Celebrity standard.

If the real reason to get rid of the buffet is lack of sneeze guards and not a cutback then spend the money on an upscale dining experience once per cruise

Our family enjoyed the brunch and dearly missed it on our recent sailing, along with many other things we had grown accustom to with X. They did not do anything to help compensate, which was fine by us. There is not harm in adding features to the buffet, but our experience was that the other cut backs were more noticeable and had more of an adverse affect than having no brunch. We dearly hope that as X evolves, it puts more emphasis on what made it attractive to its more loyal customers.

Why are so many people so willing to accept cutbacks on Celebrity?

I think most people grasp the concept that nothings comes for free.

I think that X and RCI have determined that a larger audience would prefer lower overall cruise fare than spending more to keep the services that once used to be important part of cruising as costs have risen over time.

Watching news now, and they are reporting on the huge increase on grocery prices. Beef up over 5% eggs up 7%.

Many restaurants who have stayed away from price increases have finally raised prices. Others have cut portion size.

Like these places, X too needs to work to cover costs. No surprise we see cutbacks, changes and increased options for enhanced dining for a fee.

I think most people grasp the concept that nothings comes for free.

I think that X and RCI have determined that a larger audience would prefer lower overall cruise fare than spending more to keep the services that once used to be important part of cruising as costs have risen over time.

Well, my cruise wasn't free.

Celebrity classes itself as a premium cruise line and often uses the tag line "Modern Luxury", so that is what I expect.

I suspect that Celebrity has cut back to the point where they are only on par with perceived less than premium cruise lines.

While I'm not a big cotton candy fan or chocolate fountain fan, I can't say I'd be upset about the removal of brunch...really? Do we need another "time" to eat lol. I gain upwards to #1 every day on a cruise and that's being mindful of what I eat (yea, I usually eat it anyways, I'm just mindful :D) but of course, most of my cruises have been on the OTHER lines, the ones that have lots of kids or lots of hairy chest contests.

How sad and pathetic! The Michael Bayley mantra of cut, cut cut and turn up the (music) volume persists!

The Brunch was so unpopular that there were always long lines to get in. Go figure!!

Edited by Seapoint

The Brunch was so unpopular that there were always long lines to get in. Go figure!!

Never experienced a line myself, but I have only experiecend 3 brunch buffets so far and always avoid arrival at opening and noon time when most people look to partake. 2 of the 3 I was able to even get a 2-top table at the windows.

Well, my cruise wasn't free.

[sNIP]

"Modern Luxury", so that is what I expect.

The free parts I speak of are the parts of the cruise where cruise fares themselves have remained stagnant overtime, where during the same time direct costs costs have risen dramatically.

That fares have remained steady, means something has to give, that's going to be in the delivery of the product.

Until such time as we passengers agree to pay double for our cruise fares, we can not expect the service levels and product remain unchanged.

One could define "modern luxury" as not at all the same as luxury of years gone by.

Therefore modern means "new" and not the same ol' same ol' and not of the same luxuries as the grand old days of cruising, or even the years of cruising 3 years ago.

The free parts I speak of are the parts of the cruise where cruise fares themselves have remained stagnant overtime, where during the same time direct costs costs have risen dramatically.

snip

Until such time as we passengers agree to pay double for our cruise fares, we can not expect the service levels and product remain unchanged.

One could define "modern luxury" as not at all the same as luxury of years gone by.

Therefore modern means "new" and not the same ol' same ol' and not of the same luxuries as the grand old days of cruising, or even the years of cruising 3 years ago.

I agree that costs are rising, but not double. I disagree that double costs mean double prices. I'm passionately pro-business and understand that cuts are reality. That doesn't mean they can't be done better. And I'm not sure people aren't willing to pay more. I consider X to be the top of the non-premium cruise brands. The next step isn't $100 more pp, it's $1000.

I see where you're going with defining 'modern', but I'm not sure anyone considers cotton candy to be a new standard of luxury. When I think of Celebrity's advertising photos (imagine them in your head. Couples in nice clothes laughing on the lawn, clinking glasses, sitting on their balcony) I don't see any cotton candy.

Enjoy your transatlantic. Always wanted to do one of those.

I see where you're going with defining 'modern', but I'm not sure anyone considers cotton candy to be a new standard of luxury. When I think of Celebrity's advertising photos (imagine them in your head. Couples in nice clothes laughing on the lawn, clinking glasses, sitting on their balcony) I don't see any cotton candy.

If one doesn't like cotton candy, they don't have to abide in it, but some have said that they enjoyed it. I don't think it has anything to do with modern luxury or the new standard of luxury, it is just another amenity, which some enjoy and others don't. I personally wouldn't call bingo a standard of luxury, but others would.

I wonder how many new passengers would book if the brochure actually showed us passengers doing some of the things some do. Just picture it and remember they are actual passengers, not models......folks by the pool sleeping or reading or catching some rays, folks piling up their plates at the buffet, folks playing bingo, folks playing cards in the buffet, etc.

Edited by NLH Arizona