Review (Part I because I am long winded) 4/6 to 4/13 W. Carib

turning46

I really hope others on this same voyage write reviews, because it's always interesting to read other perspectives on the same cruise. Anyway, here's the start of my review:

Being risk-adverse, H and I flew into Fort Lauderdale the day before our sailing. Day of embarkation, we took a taxi to the ship and were able to get in line (we'd been able to upgrade to Aqua Class inexpensively, so we had priority embarkation), check in, and be aboard the ship sipping sparkling wine within minutes. The "regular" line was longer, but seemed to be moving briskly and efficiently.

Once aboard, we were greeted by smiling and friendly staff. This was a continuous theme for us, although these folks are working VERY hard (more on that later). How they manage to muster up a smile and friendly greeting hour after hour, I will never know. Huge kudos to the staff from me.

H and I walked around the beautiful ship: Silhouette is truly lovely. Sleek and elegant, with lots of clean lines and glass. Some folks prefer a more baroque style, but we found the Silhouette's style very appealing. The ship fairly gleamed, too.

We headed to the buffet, which was crowded as expected, but not terribly so. There wasn't a rude or pushy or grabby person in sight - our fellow passengers were, almost without exception, friendly and smiling. We're all vacationing on a beautiful ship into beautiful places, what's not to smile about?

We did have to the "you sit, I'll go get food" dance, as seating was at a premium, but it wasn't long before we found a place and we both thoroughly enjoyed our lunches. Salad ingredients were fresh and varied, and the Indian food (throughout the entire trip) was interesting and delicious. We remembered the Indian selections from our last cruise, and they were always good. We enjoyed an appropriately fruity and exotic cocktail, and awaited our rooms and muster.

Muster was rather silly, with people crammed into a small place to view a video no one can really see or hear. But if was over quickly, and we did meet a lovely couple there, whom we dubbed "Mr. and Mrs. Muster" for the rest of the cruise. The Musters were an older couple, extremely charming and gracious; I wish we'd been able to chat with them more often. As was typical of our last cruise, these ships are just small enough to run into the same folks regularly throughout the ship, but not so small as to have the same people all up in your grill all the time. ;)

Our room was spacious and beautifully clean. Sylvestre, the room attendant, was terrific. The room was kept lovely, linens and towels changed out, he even accommodated our request for a cheese plate to replace the usual AQ hors d'ouevres. We found the old joke about "you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, you come back and your bed is made" to be only a slight exaggeration.

In AQ, you get an offer for 50% off a specialty restaurant the first night. We took advantage and ate at Murano. Oh my. Deliciousness! The table side lobster dish was over-the-top rich, as was the chocolate souffle. We had the premium bev package, and were able to pair each course to a lovely glass of wine. We highly recommend Murano (esp. at half off).

Entertainment that night was the "5 Tenors of Rock." These were 5 young men from a musical theater background who put together a rock vocalist act. They were great: just a hoot, with a lot of talent and energy. The show was a little cheesy, but I like cheese. I am from Wisconsin, after all. ;)

A few more delicious cocktails, and we were done for the night.

The next day was a sea day, and the first formal night. During the day we played trivia and took a dance lesson. Trivia was a lot of fun, but you'd think they were giving out diamond necklaces as prizes, the way some people acted. Still, the trivia hosts were terrific, and we went several times. Mostly, though, we just relaxed and sipped our cocktails.

It may be because we prefer not to sit in the sun, but we were always able to find lounges available. My favorite place on the ship is the solarium: breezy but warm, out of the direct sun, but with whirlpools and a warm, underused pool. My H discovered his favorite thing to do was to float in the pool, gliding back and forth like the world's largest, most content otter.

Formal night was lovely, with many tuxedos and lots of glamourous dresses. And what could be more adorable then the children in their fancy wear? There were more children on board than we expected, but they were all very well behaved and well supervised, as far as we could see. Of course, we did spend a lot of time in the solarium, but we never observed children racing around or shouting or anything. They were cute!

Before I wrap up Part I (I know, I'm a windbag), a word about service and about crowding, which were the only possible negatives on this sailing.

Service: the crew did their level best. I've rarely seen such a cheerful and hardworking bunch. However, they were outgunned in several venues, including many of the bars, in the main dining room, and at the coffee bar. I think X may be being penny wise and pound foolish by not hiring more people at these posts. The staff was TERRIFIC, but they were stretched thin.

Crowding: There was a VERY large group of travel agents aboard. Most of the time during the days, they were at seminars in teh specialty restaurants. However, when they were finished or on break, they tended to travel in large herds. They were a friendly, gregarious bunch, but wherever they went, only they could be there, because they took over the place.

This was especially true at Il Bacio, and especially especially true at the Molecular Bar. Both are popular places, so it's typical and expected to have to wait behind a few people throughout the day. But whenever the A group was there, suddenly you'd be behind 30-40 people with no prospect of service or a seat any time soon.

Luckily, there were plenty of OTHER places to go, but their presence did limit everyone else's access to certain venues throughout the cruise.

I'll write more about the next days, but I've already gone on quite enough. I'll be happy to answer any questions!

Enjoying your report! Do you recall The Cruise Director's name? Where was your room?

I hear you regarding trivia! We love playing, but there are always some who think they know all the answers & question everything. I love the hosts who tell all at the beginning, that there is only one right answer; the one they have! We've had those who deduct points for arguing; that usually stops them in their tracks!

Keep it coming! We'll be on board the TA next week.

Enjoying your report! Do you recall The Cruise Director's name? Where was your room?

I hear you regarding trivia! We love playing, but there are always some who think they know all the answers & question everything. I love the hosts who tell all at the beginning, that there is only one right answer; the one they have! We've had those who deduct points for arguing; that usually stops them in their tracks!

Keep it coming! We'll be on board the TA next week.

Thanks! The cruise director was named Damien, he was from Canada, and H swore he must be using amphetamines because he was UP all the time! He had a big personality, and we enjoyed it immensely.

Our room was 1645, waaaay aft, which is fine by us, on the 11th deck. I kept the weight gain at a minimum :rolleyes: by taking the elevator only twice during the week and walking back to our room. The room was great, except for a sticky closet door, and being way back, it was very quiet.

I really, really wish I could remember the name of the Brit who called Trivia. He was understatedly hilarious.

Service: the crew did their level best. I've rarely seen such a cheerful and hardworking bunch. However, they were outgunned in several venues, including many of the bars, in the main dining room, and at the coffee bar. I think X may be being penny wise and pound foolish by not hiring more people at these posts. The staff was TERRIFIC, but they were stretched thin.

We were on the ship in March for our first ever Celebrity cruise. It was a wonderful week but I do agree that you were spot on with the less than stellar service in the bars, MDR, and coffee bar. I would add the pool to that as well. I expected more from Celebrity in these areas. They definitely need more bar servers in the lounges/pool. As far as the dining room, I just think we were unlucky with an assist. waiter who, although very nice, was not strong, which caused the waiter to have to pick up the slack.

Damian was our CD as well and we found him great and high energy as well!

What ship does this review pertain to? Am I overlooking something?:confused:

Oops never mind. After re-reading 3 times, I finally found the ship's name

Edited by 4cats4me

Wife and I were on the Silhouette a little over a year ago...............I still think it is the most beautiful ship I have been on..............love that hallway leading to the Blu dining room and the other Specialty restaurants. Much of the artwork, vases and pictures came from the Mercury.............our first Celebrity cruise

We booked the Silhouette April 20 for the Transatlantic. Never did Celebrity before but I am hearing all great things. We have done MSC, NCL and Carnival...Just love cruising..Wish I could do more cruises...just have to wait for retirement..lol..

Thanks! The cruise director was named Damien, he was from Canada, and H swore he must be using amphetamines because he was UP all the time! He had a big personality, and we enjoyed it immensely.

Our room was 1645, waaaay aft, which is fine by us, on the 11th deck. I kept the weight gain at a minimum :rolleyes: by taking the elevator only twice during the week and walking back to our room. The room was great, except for a sticky closet door, and being way back, it was very quiet.

I really, really wish I could remember the name of the Brit who called Trivia. He was understatedly hilarious.

The brit was named Pete.