When Are Upsells/Upgrades Offerred ?

curtdesilets

Does the time of booking or price paid have anything to do with being offered an upsell/upgrade?

If the purpose is to make incremental income, it seems as if it would be more productive to offer the upsell to the person who paid full price rather than to the last minute booker who got a deeply discounted guarantee.

If your reservation is marked "Do Not Upgrade", does that also eliminate any chance of being offered an Upsell to a higher category -- for example, Oceanview to Verandah or Verandah to Suite?

Not in my experience. I always have my reservation marked "Do Not Upgrade". My last upsell was from a VF to a SS. My TA typically forwards the upsell email she gets from HAL to me and then I decide whether I'm interested in it or not.

When I had to call the TA because of a credit card number problem for payment I asked her if there was a possibility that we might be offered an upgrade in the future. She put me on hold and came back with an upgrade for us to a balcony 4 stories higher and also one for our friends who wanted to be on the same floor as us. We were bothed previously booked into an outside room on the Main so it was quite a bonus for us. I have always believed in asking. "Don't ask, don't get". It worked this time but I would never count on it.

I never started getting upsell emails until I started checking the upgrade box when booking a cruise. A friend who has cruised many times on HAL has never got an upsell email since he never wants upgrades. The fear of free upgrades is a bit overstated since they almost never do it anymore and usually just keep knocking down the upsell prices until the get rid of the higher priced cabins.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have a Travel Agent who is a member of the Virtuoso Group. She is wonderful and excellent and I have had excellent trips with her.

I am about to book on Holland America's New Amsterdam for the Med. Empires Tour in August.

Upon her advice I am booking a SS cabin at this time for two.

Originally I wanted to book a Neptune Suite SQ or SA.

However, she states that in the past 5 years of booking for HA, she has had 100% of her customers receive an upgrade and in all probability I will receive the upgrade to the Neptune Suite automatically.

The price point difference is significant.

I also asked if HA offers upgrades on the day of the cruise as well when you embark on the ship.

So hopefully this will work out. If I or she receives a call for this August cruise, I will certainly grab anything they offer, whether its complimentary or for a price.

The bolding is mine. My TA no longer discounts but does give OBC. (but when discounting was permitted by HAL it was done) Frankly, I don't think it is any of my business how much money my TA makes or what commission they choose to reduce. I think my TA has worked out the numbers/or their company has so that they can offer a savings (whether by discount or obc) to their clients and still make money.

Having worked on commission myself in my previous life, my income was my business and no one else's. If I chose to make less income by granting a concession there was a reason for it :) I looked at the bigger picture. that being said, I never divulged the commission or 'lost' commission to a client. JMO though.

IMHO it is none of my business how anyone is compensated as long as the employee and employer have reached a mutually-agreeable arrangement. I would not go to the grocery store/bank/doctor's office and ask someone what their compensation arrangements are; why would that be acceptable with a TA?

Completely agree with you both! IMO for someone to ask a personal question such as this is unmitigated gall! :( I would not care to do business with a client who has the audacity to question how or why I could discount a fare or give OBC! A TA's commission is only his & the Provider's business, not his clients business..

Betty

Just for info purposes:

I booked a specific VD cabin back in January directly with HAL for May cruise. Before final payment date I checked prices regularly and twice was able to take advantage of price drops with total savings of over $800. 2 weeks ago I received upsell offers for both SS and Neptune suites. I took the SS offer as it was still less than I was paying before my final price drop and I could still have some say in cabin choice as I had a specific area I wished to be in. 2 days ago I received another upsell offer for Neptune suite at $100pp less than the previous offer. I did not accept as the price is still more than I want to pay. But, I am crossing my fingers for either an upgrade or another upsell for even less which I will definitely take and will still be far less than my original booking price.

This is my also my first time cruising with HAL.

Just for info purposes:

I booked a specific VD cabin back in January directly with HAL for May cruise. Before final payment date I checked prices regularly and twice was able to take advantage of price drops with total savings of over $800. 2 weeks ago I received upsell offers for both SS and Neptune suites. I took the SS offer as it was still less than I was paying before my final price drop and I could still have some say in cabin choice as I had a specific area I wished to be in. 2 days ago I received another upsell offer for Neptune suite at $100pp less than the previous offer. I did not accept as the price is still more than I want to pay. But, I am crossing my fingers for either an upgrade or another upsell for even less which I will definitely take and will still be far less than my original booking price.

Congrats on your upgrade. The SS is a wonderful cabin and you are going to have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Completely agree with you both! IMO for someone to ask a personal question such as this is unmitigated gall! :( I would not care to do business with a client who has the audacity to question how or why I could discount a fare or give OBC! A TA's commission is only his & the Provider's business, not his clients business..

Betty

Unmitigated gall and audacity? There are lots of professionals that work on commissions that gladly disclose that they do so. If you read my post again, at no point did I suggest that you ask about a TA's individual income. I agree, that is personal information. But I also embrace the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

If my TA is offering me a price that no one else seems to be able to offer or "seems too good to be true", you can bet that I am going to be suspicious. I will ask that TA how he or she can offer this price when no one else appears that they can. I am working with the TA for one reason - to protect my interests when travelling.

For me, a TA who feels the need to buy down my vacation is not meeting my needs. I have no problem paying a fair price for a fair service and I do not expect or require that a TA subsidize my cruise by ponying up his or her commission.

Just for info purposes:

Congratulations on the price drops and upsell.

I think I've scoured the boards and haven't found the answer, so while this thread is active I'll just ask. :) This is our first cruise. We're booked on the Maasdam in a BB Guarantee for the May 24th Canada/New England trip. I see the prices have been cut and that's okay with me, as I've had the "security" of knowing I'll at least have a BB Verandah since January. In looking at the deck plans and from comments here on CC, I can see how some rooms may not be perceived as an upgrade. IF we get an upgrade, will our HAL PCC call and offer it up, giving us the option, or does the assignment just show up on the reservation?

Unmitigated gall and audacity? There are lots of professionals that work on commissions that gladly disclose that they do so. If you read my post again, at no point did I suggest that you ask about a TA's individual income. I agree, that is personal information. But I also embrace the philosophy, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

If my TA is offering me a price that no one else seems to be able to offer or "seems too good to be true", you can bet that I am going to be suspicious. I will ask that TA how he or she can offer this price when no one else appears that they can. I am working with the TA for one reason - to protect my interests when travelling.

For me, a TA who feels the need to buy down my vacation is not meeting my needs. I have no problem paying a fair price for a fair service and I do not expect or require that a TA subsidize my cruise by ponying up his or her commission.

I stand by my post.. I was in the travel business for 28 years & still maintain it is none of the clients business how the TA can give you a lower price..

I'm well aware that there are many professionals which work on commission.. I once also worked on commission by selling a product in order to supplement my income so I could take advantage of my free travel perks..

You stated quote: The morale of the story - if you are working with a TA who offers you a discounted price, make sure that you ask how you are receiving that price. Ask your TA how he or she can offer a price that is lower than anyone else. A TA who is open and transparent will have no problem sharing this information with you. Unquote

TA's sharing of his/her commission is between the TA & the Service Provider, not their clients!

Agree you can ask anything you want of a TA but it's also his right to turn away your business.. I would not have the audacity to question our TA as still believe it's none of our business!

Edited by serendipity1499

I stand by my post.. I was in the travel business for 28 years & still maintain it is none of the clients business how the TA can give you a lower price..

I'm well aware that there are many professionals which work on commission.. I once also worked on commission by selling a product in order to supplement my income so I could take advantage of my free travel perks..

You stated quote: The morale of the story - if you are working with a TA who offers you a discounted price, make sure that you ask how you are receiving that price. Ask your TA how he or she can offer a price that is lower than anyone else. A TA who is open and transparent will have no problem sharing this information with you. Unquote

TA's sharing of his/her commission is between the TA & the Service Provider, not their clients!

Agree you can ask anything you want of a TA but it's also his right to turn away your business.. I would not have the audacity to question our TA as still believe it's none of our business!

I am glad that you stand by your post. You have written repeatedly that your TA provides you with substantial discounts and it would appear that you have no interest in questioning how you receive that discount. That is okay and if it works for you, so be it.

It doesn't work for me. Things have changed in the travel industry and in many industries with more and more service providers providing greater transparency and openness. And to use your phrase, I would not have the audacity or the unmitigated gall to require that a TA subsidize my travels.

We can agree to disagree.

If you book a specific stateroom with a stateroom number, is it then still possible to get an upgrade?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Forums

Yes. I had a specific VF cabin when I was offered the upsell to a SS.

I booked a specific cabin on the Veendam, via HALs website. It departs on May 1st, (sooo excited, we fly out a day early in the morning)....Anyway, on Friday April 25th, and 1:21pm my tz (CST), I got an email offer for an upsell. It actually went to my spam folder, and I just happened to check it that evening. It was a decent offer, but I wanted to stay with my semi-wrap-around aft cabin that I picked. ...........................

PREFERRED LIMITED UPGRADE SPECIAL! Please call us directly at 888-628-8107

Upgrade your Vista Suite A-BC to Neptune Suite SA-SB for an additional $ 699PP

Upgrade your Vista Suite A-BC to The Pinnacle Suite for an additional $ 1,399PP

Contact 1-888-628-8107 between 8am and 5pm Pacific Time Monday through Friday

*By accepting this offer, guests who have purchased CPP/P are responsible for any increase in the cost of the coverage in addition to the upgrade price

*Fares are per person based on double occupancy, singles are 200% of double

*PLUS offers will not qualify for the double cruise day credits under the HAL

LOYALTY PROGRAM

**This offer is on a first come, first served basis**

I am curious about whether I had taken one of the offers, if I would still get my double cruise day credits, since my original cabin was still a suite. I would 'assume' so, but if not, then it would have to be a better deal to lose out on those extra 9 days of credits.

• 2 months later...
Just for info purposes:

I just realized I never updated this post. 2 days before sailing I did receive another upsell offer for a Neptune Suite for $125 pp. I grabbed it and between the price drops and upsells, we ended up with a beautiful, spacious Neptune Suite for a lower price than what I had originally booked a VD verandah for. Great deal and a truly awesome trip. I am going to have a hard time going with a smaller cabin again. :)

I just realized I never updated this post. 2 days before sailing I did receive another upsell offer for a Neptune Suite for $125 pp. I grabbed it and between the price drops and upsells, we ended up with a beautiful, spacious Neptune Suite for a lower price than what I had originally booked a VD verandah for. Great deal and a truly awesome trip. I am going to have a hard time going with a smaller cabin again. :)

Very nice up sell. Congratulations and your right it is always hard to go back down to smaller but there's still a chance for an up sell on your next cruise.:D

I got a sweet upsale this march on the eurodam, I booked the cheapest inside, and booked a retreat cabana, and was offered a upsale to a VQ, spa room, I floor below my lovely cabana,, for only 100$ and I was sailing solo----:)--

• 2 weeks later...

My TA just contacted me regarding my Cruise on August 28th out of Venice, for the Empires Cruise.

I am booked in a SC category Neptune Suite in a specific cabin (6100) but am hoping to get a complimentary upgrade into a SB or SA category on the Rotterdam deck on the New Amsterdam.

She tells me that most of her passengers get upgrades to one category up without charge or they get an upsell offer as well.

Today she got this upgrade offer:

"Preferred Limited Upgrade Special:

Upgrade For Selected Bookings from your Neptune Suite (SQ to SC)

to the very best available

Pinnacle Suite (PS) for an additional $ 2,749 per person USD/CAD"

Well, for that price, I could take a whole different cruise.

So I am going to wait.

But if I wanted to be in a SA Cabin, should I have her call and ask if there is a discounted price.

Originally I was in a "SS" and I paid to upgrade to a "SC" so as to be sure and not miss out on being in a Neptune Suite.

It would be nice to be up one deck and get an "SA" but I don't want to pay full price.

Does the fact that they sent her the email indicate that they are now fulfilling the "SS" and other guaranteed category cabins?

Since you are about three weeks out, they are probably beginning to work on inventory. Upgrades and paid upsells cancome at any time now.

I don't think I'd pay for an upgrade to an SA. In the first place, it is not unusual for an SC guarantee to end up in an SA at no cost. In the second place, there is no real value in being in an SA unless you can get one near the the Neptune Lounge and that is REALLY important to you. It can be handy to pop in for an early morning cappuccino, but I wouldn't volunteer to pay more for that. The SA's beyond the elevators/stairwell have no advantage except they are on the same deck.

The ones that seem to have appeal to a lot of folks are the aft suites with the large balconies.

• 3 weeks later...

The upsell just arrived in my email. $199 for an upgrade from VC to a SZ to SS or $399 for SC to SA.

We actually decided since it's DH's 50th birthday to splurge and upgraded. We were offered the SS category first off and it seems like a great suite. Same deck as our original cabin, just a bit further down the hall.

We are counting the sleeps only 12 more to go :D