Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

I've been wanting to get a TRUE chip-and-pin card for a while but cannot seem to find one that meets the following criteria and is available to me as an individual:

• No foreign transaction fee
  • True chip-and-pin card, not just chip-and-signature
  • No annual fee
  • Available in America
  • Doesn't require joining a credit union or opening an additional account

If anyone knows of such a card, can you please list the specifics (issue, name of card, etc)? I don't really care whether it is a MC or Visa if it meets all of the above criteria.

I have so far this morning tried Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citibank, and Chase. I didn't call Capital One but I checked with them pretty recently and they do not offer anything. Yet.

I got something from Chase saying that their United Mileage Plus cards would be available with chip and pin later this year, but that you would have to request it, they won't automatically issue them.

This article has a list of those that are supposed to be available this year: http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

Edited by euro cruiser

I had a B of A visa card with Hawaiian airlines and it is being cancelled and the new card is a Master card from Barclays. It is chip and pin, no transaction fee plus a bunch of other stuff. It is tied to my Hawaiian airline account but maybe Barclays has this available for a regular card.

I have Chase United mileage card, not chip+ pin, but it has annual fee of $85.

Today I just applied for a Chase Sapphire card WITH chip+pin. It will have a fee of $95, but it is waived the first year.No foreign transaction fee.

Best I can offer.

Rick

Interesting timing of this thread, as I called Chase yesterday afternoon to ask about a true chip & pin card. Our United Mileage Plus cards are issued by them, including the Explorer card, which is aimed at international travelers and heavily advertised as having no foreign transaction fee. Nonetheless, there is NO chip & pin option right now for this card (or any of the Mileage Plus cards), which is absurd. A supervisor told me they were "working on it," but she had no timetable.

I haven't gotten any mailing from them about chip & pin cards being available later this year, but I'm happy to hear it.

Cruisemom, here's another list of available chip & pin cards:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-emv-chip-credit-cards/#list

Cruisemom, We can recommend the Andrews Federal Credit Union issued Visa which is fee free and has zero foreign exchange fees. Joining Andrews is really no big deal and they offer a scheme where anyone can join with a few clicks of the mouse (it is also free). The only downside is that they are a bit of a pain if you want a very high credit limit on the Visa and might request additional credit info. As to being eligible to be a member this is done because of a Federal regulation (and law) that requires credit unions to be open to select groups. But Andrews provides a link to the "American Consumer Council" which one can join for free (there are no membership charges) with a few mouse clicks. One you have joined ACC you are eligible for Andrews.

Several regular posters here on CC have gone through the Andrews "hassles" and we can say that we are pleased with the result. For those that need an additional fee free debit card (to get money out of ATMs) Andrews also offers that service. Having debit cards from multiple banks allows one to have additional cash source "back ups" and is also a way around daily withdrawal limits imposed one a single card or by a single bank.

For those of us who do a lot of international travel, jumping though some of these "hoops" is a necessary evil in an era when Travelers Checks are obsolete (and not accepted in many places) and having multiple source of obtaining cash a necessity. There are also some interesting variations in major credit card benefits. For example, between AMEX. MC and Visa only one card offers included collision damage waiver in Northern Irealnd...and there is another card (among those big 3) that offers the coverage in New Zealand.

We really wonder how anyone, without a good credit rating, can do any significant foreign travel. One needs to be able to get multiple credit cards (and often debit cards) to handle the needs of longer land-based trips.

Hank

Today I just applied for a Chase Sapphire card WITH chip+pin. It will have a fee of $95, but it is waived the first year.No foreign transaction fee.

Rick... Better double check the chip & pin feature. I could be wrong...it happens a lot...but last I knew the Chase Sapphire Card was chip & signature.

I did a quick check and I see the embedded chip in graphics, but no mention at all of it being chip & pin. You might want to give Chase a call to confirm.

Lew

For those of us who do a lot of international travel, jumping though some of these "hoops" is a necessary evil in an era when Travelers Checks are obsolete (and not accepted in many places) and having multiple source of obtaining cash a necessity. There are also some interesting variations in major credit card benefits. For example, between AMEX. MC and Visa only one card offers included collision damage waiver in Northern Irealnd...and there is another card (among those big 3) that offers the coverage in New Zealand.

In Australia, from August, all use of credit cards will involve only pin. At the moment, each time we use a card we have to opt for credit or debit; sign or pin. I wonder what will happen for Americans who do not have the pin option?

In Australia, from August, all use of credit cards will involve only pin. At the moment, each time we use a card we have to opt for credit or debit; sign or pin. I wonder what will happen for Americans who do not have the pin option?

American credit card issuers are just clueless. When I was speaking with Chase the other day (and their customer service folks are quite good and above average for businesses here), the supervisor tried to tell me that it wasn't such a big deal not to have a chip & pin card abroad, that everyone was "required to accept a signature." Really? Tell that to the unmanned gas pump I tried to use NINE years ago in France, or the ticket machine at a train station in Paris from which I tried to print my reserved ticket, also nine years ago. Our country has been behind the eight ball on this for a good decade if not more.

American credit card issuers are just clueless. When I was speaking with Chase the other day (and their customer service folks are quite good and above average for businesses here), the supervisor tried to tell me that it wasn't such a big deal not to have a chip & pin card abroad, that everyone was "required to accept a signature." Really? Tell that to the unmanned gas pump I tried to use NINE years ago in France, or the ticket machine at a train station in Paris from which I tried to print my reserved ticket, also nine years ago. Our country has been behind the eight ball on this for a good decade if not more.

And what's more, you have to go through about 4 levels of managers before you can even get to someone who UNDERSTANDS what a chip and pin card is. Many, many times now I've been told that I can get a pin for my current card to use at ATMs. They can't understand this is a totally different thing...:cool:

We only have chip and in debit and credit cards here. (It always feels very antiquated to me to have to SIGN a credit card slip when I visit the U.S.)

But, I have noticed here that even when you're in a restaurant for example, and they bring the card reader to your table when it's time to pay the bill (which is much better security because your credit or debit card is never out of your hands or sight), the machines do seem to be able to produce a slip for a signature for our many American visitors.

Rick... Better double check the chip & pin feature. I could be wrong...it happens a lot...but last I knew the Chase Sapphire Card was chip & signature.

I did a quick check and I see the embedded chip in graphics, but no mention at all of it being chip & pin. You might want to give Chase a call to confirm.

Lew

Lew,

You are correct, the Chase Sapphire Card is chip & signature only.

It takes 3-5 days to receive a new chip & signature card.:)

Edited by txd

I've been wanting to get a TRUE chip-and-pin card for a while but cannot seem to find one that meets the following criteria and is available to me as an individual:

• No foreign transaction fee
  • True chip-and-pin card, not just chip-and-signature
  • No annual fee
  • Available in America
  • Doesn't require joining a credit union or opening an additional account

If anyone knows of such a card, can you please list the specifics (issue, name of card, etc)? I don't really care whether it is a MC or Visa if it meets all of the above criteria.

I have so far this morning tried Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citibank, and Chase. I didn't call Capital One but I checked with them pretty recently and they do not offer anything. Yet.

I received my Wells Fargo Chip and Pin last week and 2 days later I received the letter with my assigned pin number. You do NOT get to pick your pin number and it cannot be changed. The letter said that the pin number is hard coded in the chip.

Unfortunately the Wells Fargo only meets 4/5 of your criteria. They have the foreign transaction fee.

I will use my Chase Mileage Plus as my primary credit card for most transactions and just use the Well Fargo as needed.

Lew,

You are correct, the Chase Sapphire Card is chip & signature only.

It takes 3-5 days to receive a new chip & signature card.:)

I have a Visa affinity card (Marriott) with a chip and signature. I've tried to get a chip and signature, but was told by a manager that the US system is just starting to convert (reluctantly) and the software is being developed.

glad to hear some systems may be available later this year.

I just got a Bank of America Travel Rewards card, no annual fee, no transaction fees and it has a chip and you can get a pin.

We are B of A customers so I don't know if you need an account to get it.

Although you can get a PIN for this card, it's a Chip & Signature card, not a true Chip & PIN card. Click here for an explanation on the B of A website.

Lew

Does this mean that our American magnetic stripe credit cards will not work in Europe?

You will still be able to use your mag-stripe credit card at most manned locations. At best, your purchase will be processed just as it is at home. At worst, you'll be asked to provide some ID. In Madeira last year we were asked to enter our PIN at a manned location...I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't had a Chip & PIN card.

You will not be able to make purchases at most unmanned locations such as ticket machines, gas stations, parking garages, etc. There are still some ticket machines that will accept a mag-stripe card, but they are gradually disappearing.

Lew