Chip and pin credit card -- availability

cruisemom42

Another question I've always wondered about:

No foreign transaction fee - but has anyone ever checked to see if they received the true interbank currency exchange rate on the date of purchase? In other words, could the transaction fee be worked into the Xrate? Guess it's just the past (years ago) international banker in me wondering.

My experience with the Chase Mileage Plus card has been very good. Always less than .01 sometimes as close as .002.

I am comparing my rate to the rate on the Stocks App on my IPhone. I believe that rate is tied to FOREX so it is accurate.

Edited by bugeater2

Now with all that being said, It is very easy to get a 0% transaction fee card. There are a lot of them out there.

I used the Chase United Mileage Plus Card for all of prebooking for this summer.

I will be getting the Southwest Rapid Rewards CC that I am going to use while in Europe. It will be easy to get the $2000 dollar spend and the 50,000 points are not bad either.

We got the Chase United card last year. Happy with it - seemed like within a few months we had enough for a trip to Europe. Also like the included trip cancellation insurance benefit.

I just got my Barclays chip and pin and I have a pin number. I was told that my pin would not be activated until I have used it once. We are going to Italy in June and will be in Rome for 3 days and I would like to use it once just to be sure it's activated. I won't be taking the train or using a car to get gas so I am wondering where I could use this to make sure it's activated. I have also already paid for my hotel. Will any restaurant be set up to use a pin number?

When I was in Rome 2 years ago I just used my regular credit card and it was no problem.

Thanks Virginia

I just got my Barclays chip and pin and I have a pin number. I was told that my pin would not be activated until I have used it once. We are going to Italy in June and will be in Rome for 3 days and I would like to use it once just to be sure it's activated. I won't be taking the train or using a car to get gas so I am wondering where I could use this to make sure it's activated. I have also already paid for my hotel. Will any restaurant be set up to use a pin number?

When I was in Rome 2 years ago I just used my regular credit card and it was no problem.

Thanks Virginia

I don't see why you couldn't just stick it into an ATM here at home, input your pin and just look up your balance.

That would constitute your first use. Also, Target is installing the technology in their stores as we speak and I believe Wal-Mart has done so as well.

We got the Chase United card last year. Happy with it - seemed like within a few months we had enough for a trip to Europe. Also like the included trip cancellation insurance benefit.

I love my United Card. It is a key player in getting my daughter and me home from Venice this summer for only $75/pp.

Is it really necessary to have a chip and pin card? I have a Bank of America debit card which I will use in ATMs to obtain euros. I also have a Chase Mileage Plus Card which I will use for any purchases (probably not that many). Will I have a problem? Under what conditions is it necessary to have the chip and pin card? Thanks.

Is it really necessary to have a chip and pin card? I have a Bank of America debit card which I will use in ATMs to obtain euros. I also have a Chase Mileage Plus Card which I will use for any purchases (probably not that many). Will I have a problem? Under what conditions is it necessary to have the chip and pin card? Thanks.

I have been very surprised at the urgency of some of the posts on this thread. We have been travelling in Europe twice a year recently and never have had a problem.

The chip-and-pin technology is most helpful/prevalent in Northern Europe but other than not being able to use our card in some automatic ticket machines at the Copenhagen airport, we never have had our card rejected. In that case, we waited in a five-minute line to get our local transportation pass from a real-person seller.

We last were in the Med in September and never had any problem. Of course, we were on a prepaid cruise, so did not use our credit card as often as we did last May in Germany and the Czech Republic.

Edited by CintiPam

I have been very surprised at the urgency of some of the posts on this thread. We have been travelling in Europe twice a year recently and never have had a problem.

The chip-and-pin technology is most helpful/prevalent in Northern Europe but other than not being able to use our card in some automatic ticket machines at the Copenhagen airport, we never have had our card rejected. In that case, we waited in a five-minute line to get our local transportation pass from a real-person seller.

We last were in the Med in September and never had any problem. Of course, we were on a prepaid cruise, so did not use our credit card as often as we did last May in Germany and the Czech Republic.

CintiPam,

Thank you for the reassurance. I, too, will be on a Mediterranean cruise, so hopefully I won't have the need for the chip-and-pin card. I intend to access an ATM at the airport to obtain the initial euros and then at the various ports for additional euros, and my shipboard expenses will be paid for with my credit card.

7 trips to Europe and we only take Cap One and Andrews CU (true chip and pin) - No transaction fees. We also have a Cap One money market card we use for getting cash - again no fees at all, only the conversion.

As for BofA ATMs: they are affiliated with Barclays which has branches in a lot of European countries and also around the world. We can use that ATM card at a Barclays with no transaction fees - always check for card affiliations before you travel abroad.

And carry that terrible credit card with the high interest and large transaction fees - if you have nothing else, it will get you home:)

CintiPam,

Thank you for the reassurance. I, too, will be on a Mediterranean cruise, so hopefully I won't have the need for the chip-and-pin card. I intend to access an ATM at the airport to obtain the initial euros and then at the various ports for additional euros, and my shipboard expenses will be paid for with my credit card.

I would not spend any time worrying about this issue while on your cruise. I understand that if you are driving around Europe, using your card when there is no attendant, such as at a gas station or automated parking garage, poses problems, but with ATM machines so readily available everywhere, you really will be just fine with paying for things with your Euros. We always get our Euros at the airport at which we land, and it has worked out for us easily.

However, this chip-and-pin issue has been percolating quite a long time now in the USA. I followed this issue closely when I was a bank attorney in the year 2000 (:eek:!) and now 14 years later, the USA banks still are procrastinating about providing this really helpful technology.

It reminds me of the fact that in the fifth grade, I learned the metric system and the USA never proceeded to adopt it. I hope that is not the case here.

I have the Chip/Pin CC from Wells Fargo but for the Cruise portion of my trip I don't think I would need a chip/pin cc.

But for the land portion of my trip it is a must. For example, I will be in Iceland for 3 days and renting a car. Many of the gas stations do not have an attendant in the late evening hours and the only way to get gas is with a chip/pin.

Usually this wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't be out driving so late in the evening but when you are in a country where the sun doesn't "set" until after midnight and rises less that 3 hours later, you tend to be out a lot later than you normally would otherwise.

Another place, while not necessary but convenient, is buying tickets for the regional trains and metro. I have seen a few times 10-15 people in line for a single attendant to buy a ticket and 3 machines that are not being used at all.

hope this helps a little bit.;)

Edited by bugeater2

I would not spend any time worrying about this issue while on your cruise. I understand that if you are driving around Europe, using your card when there is no attendant, such as at a gas station or automated parking garage, poses problems, but with ATM machines so readily available everywhere, you really will be just fine with paying for things with your Euros. We always get our Euros at the airport at which we land, and it has worked out for us easily.

However, this chip-and-pin issue has been percolating quite a long time now in the USA. I followed this issue closely when I was a bank attorney in the year 2000 (:eek:!) and now 14 years later, the USA banks still are procrastinating about providing this really helpful technology.

It reminds me of the fact that in the fifth grade, I learned the metric system and the USA never proceeded to adopt it. I hope that is not the case here.

I think the Target data breach has started the ball rolling. As they, along with Wal-Mart, are installing technology to allow the use chip/pin cc, I think we will begin to see the transition begin to take hold.

I would love to see these 2 retailers just announce that by a certain date they will no longer accept swipe/signature cards. I think that alone would be the kick in the pants the US banking industry would need to get with the rest of the world.

I think the Target data breach has started the ball rolling.

Everything I have seen this is the truth....the Target issues were the straw that broke the camel's back. However, I did see somewhere the estimated cost for conversion to Pin and chip is over 3 billion dollars, and a lot of new equipment installation. So it can't happen over night.

Everything I have seen this is the truth....the Target issues were the straw that broke the camel's back. However, I did see somewhere the estimated cost for conversion to Pin and chip is over 3 billion dollars, and a lot of new equipment installation. So it can't happen over night.

Target's piece of the pie is ONLY $100 Million and this includes converting all of their RedCards to chip/pin as well.

Earlier this year, Target announced an accelerated $100 million plan to move its REDcard portfolio to chip-and-PIN-enabled technology and to install supporting software and next-generation payment devices in stores. The new payment terminals will be in all 1,797 U.S. stores by this September, six months ahead of schedule. In addition, by early next year, Target will enable all REDcards with chip-and-PIN technology and begin accepting payments from all chip-enabled cards in its stores

https://corporate.target.com/discover/article/enabling-REDcards-with-chip-and-PIN-technology

Edited by bugeater2

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you have a Barclaycard Arrival you can now request a chip and pin card. I think it was made available VERY recently. I noticed a chip on the card image on my account page. You can request it through your online account but I did it over the phone. The agent assured me it was chip and pin not chip and signature. It's been renamed Arrival+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If any of you have a Barclaycard Arrival you can now request a chip and pin card. I think it was made available VERY recently. I noticed a chip on the card image on my account page. You can request it through your online account but I did it over the phone. The agent assured me it was chip and pin not chip and signature. It's been renamed Arrival+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for that info.. just called them and they are sending me a new card with chip and pin.... for the arrival plus card.. the person I spoke with was very informed...

In Australia the publicity campaigns are being ramped up to encourage us to use our pins as it seems in August we will have no choice. No more signing with credit cards, and I suspect it may be a bit tricky for people like my 87 year old mother who has signed all her life! I guess the wave technology is made for people like her!

I had an argument with customer service at American Express Friday. We carry this for emergencies only when we travel, because of the fees. On their website, featured very large they advertise chip and pin cards. I have a platinum card which gives me good benefits. When I called, the rep stated they don't have any chip cards. Then she told me that it's not a problem in Europe, course everyone takes American Express, Hah, I finally gave up and made some rude statement about her never traveling to Europe and hung up. We're going without this cruise and not really planning to spend much but cash off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is copied from B of A "chip and credit card FAQs"....

What's the difference between chip & signature and chip & PIN? Does my card have a PIN?

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not currently offer chip & PIN technology."

But further on in the web site it states that Bank of America Merrill Lynch offers Chip and PIN cards to their Corporate and Commercial portfolio.

Edited by Ethel5

But for the land portion of my trip it is a must. For example, I will be in Iceland for 3 days and renting a car. Many of the gas stations do not have an attendant in the late evening hours and the only way to get gas is with a chip/pin.

Usually this wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't be out driving so late in the evening but when you are in a country where the sun doesn't "set" until after midnight and rises less that 3 hours later, you tend to be out a lot later than you normally would otherwise.

Another place, while not necessary but convenient, is buying tickets for the regional trains and metro. I have seen a few times 10-15 people in line for a single attendant to buy a ticket and 3 machines that are not being used at all.

Just a note that those without chip and pin credit cards can usually still buy gas station gift cards at major stations like N1 and Olis in Iceland. You can use these gift cards at the pump even when it is an unmanned station or after hours. It isn't as convenient as having a chip and pin for the cheaper always unmanned gas stations but since gas stations can be 3 hours apart, it is usually better to top up when passing the 50% full/empty mark.

Went to Target two days ago. One of the newest in the area. The credit card reader had the chip and pin slot blocked off and the clerk didn't know why. *sigh*

Went to Target two days ago. One of the newest in the area. The credit card reader had the chip and pin slot blocked off and the clerk didn't know why. *sigh*

Target has announced they will begin issuing their chip and pin card in 2015. I doubt the terminals will be activated for chip and pin card processing much before their cards are introduced.

Lew

Not having a chip and pin card really slowed me down. I couldn't use the ticket machines in the Marseille train station, the Naples station, Park Guell sent me to a different line. In all cases it changed the ticket time I could get.

And even if Bank America gets the chip and pin cards, their transaction fees are high.