First Cruise on AQ

jr8934

Hello, everybody! This will be out first steamboat cruise. We leave out of Cincinnati on June 23. Was hoping to hear from others who'll be on this cruise. Not sure what to expect. Can someone tell me more about the steamboat experience? Joyce

I'm on that trip too. I could not resist the 2-4-1 pricing and the DELTA QUEEN is not operating now. Hopefully, that will change next year, as I know there are people working on that right now.

Relaxing no pressure to rush around, very casual

We enjoyed our 1st steamboat trip last summer

it was a very different than other cruises

If you want to see the evening show I would go a bit early to get a seat we found it got very busy closer to show time

try the box seats on deck 2

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I think our room is on deck 2 so it should be easy to go to the shows. Thanks for the suggestion.

Calliope I look forward to meeting you. I read your post about once working on the AQ. Would love to hear stories! Joyce:)

Hi Joyce,

I look forward to meeting you too. I'm on second seating and have a room on the Texas Deck. I'm tall, wear glasses, and alas am getting grey. I will be traveling by myself this time. Chances are I'll be one of the youngest passengers onboard at 54. I never worked on the AQ, but I did work on the Steamers DELTA QUEEN and BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. My father was a licensed chief engineer and worked on the DQ, BofL, and many other paddlewheel steamboats. I will thoroughly enjoy sharing river tales with you and any others that come along.

I think that you will like having a room on the Cabin Deck. If there is inclement weather there is no need to step outside to go to meals or entertainment. These rooms are situated right across the hallway from the balcony seats in the Grand Saloon, so it's quite easy to get to and from an evening show. There is a shower tub in each room, and best of all the bay window makes a great place to sit, relax, and watch America go by. Personally, for the money, I think these are the best rooms on the boat. All of these rooms have a 10 x 11.5 living area with a 5x7 water closet. When the boat came out in 1995 these rooms were priced the same as the current B rooms on the Observation Deck and the AA rooms along either side of the Texas Deck.

We just got off this past Tuesday (R/T New Orleans), and it was our first experience on a river cruise and the American Queen. We enjoyed our trip very much; It was slower paced that a big cruise ship, crew very friendly, loved the rocking chairs on deck 4. For me the two downsides were the total disregard to keeping any kind of schedule. We were suppose to leave New Orleans Saturday night at 9 PM, we left at 5:30 with no prior announcement. Muster Drill was suppose to be at 4:30, it was at 4:55 and a total joke, At Oak Alley originally we were to leave at 5PM, it was moved to 9PM, but then moved forward to 8:30. Very confusing. There was also a major issue with service in the dining room. We were told by more than 1 person that they were at half staff in the dining room, another waiter told us that the cruise before ours half the wait staff walked off the job.

I am currently working on a full review and hope to post it soon. I hope that you will write of your experience once you have cruised as DH and I are considering either a R/T St Louis or R/T Cincinnati for our next AQ trip.

We just got off this past Tuesday (R/T New Orleans), and it was our first experience on a river cruise and the American Queen.

How full was the ship?

Last summer we had half the passenger & some of the crew were sent home

We had 1 sitting for dinner but the food was good & the service was good

We did have a delay due to generator problems one day but all other times we left on time

Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience

looking forward to your full review

Lyn

How full was the ship?

Last summer we had half the passenger & some of the crew were sent home

We had 1 sitting for dinner but the food was good & the service was good

We did have a delay due to generator problems one day but all other times we left on time

Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience

looking forward to your full review

Lyn

The boat was completely full, 425 +/- PAX. There were two seating's for dinner. One at 5:15 the other at 7:45. I think the reason we left early was because the Mississippi was running very high, and the downstream current was quite swift. There were fears that the boat would struggle to get upstream to Baton Rouge (Well founded as we were 4 hours late getting to Baton Rouge even with leaving 3.5 hours early. In fact we didn't dock because by time we got there everything was closed). In retrospect it was a good thing we didn't leave Oak Alley as planned because a woman had a medical emergency while at the early seating for dinner and an ambulance took her to the nearest hospital. If we were on the river when it happened it could have delayed her getting the medical attention she needed. I can only hope she is on the way to a full recovery.

Really my only complaint was the service in the dining room-everything else was perfect. The weather, our room steward, friendly staff, production shows (Smaller than those in a larger ship, but a much nicer setting, and the entertainers were very good). The boat is lovely, not too big, not too small. I would sail on the AQ again in a heartbeat. In fact we are thinking of a summertime trip. Maybe St. Louis.

Thanks for the update

That may have been the reason

We are thinking of a Sept cruise ...I do not like the summer heat so the fall cruises from St Louis may work better ;)

Lyn

I am eagerly awaiting our first cruise on the AQ. If we enjoy it we might consider the cruise from St. Louis later. We like being able to drive to the port from the Chicago suburbs. Joyce

According to this trip's itinerary posted on AQSC's website Portsmouth, Ohio has been dropped as one of the towns that we stop at and Augusta, Kentucky has been added. Trust me, that's a good change. George Clooney's parents still call Augusta home, and his Aunt Rosemary kept a second home there also. Augusta really is quite charming, and though I've been there numerous times, I look forward to our visit.

Really thought about this before I decided to post. This was the worst cruise we have ever taken. We cruised from 04/22/14 to 04/26/14. Yes, the dining room was terrible. This was the most disorganized cruise we have ever taken and will never cruise with them again. We are very, very experienced cruisers although almost every cruise is on a major cruise line and not river cruise's. I will be posting a full description of our cruise. On another posting someone mentioned that we stepped down by going on this cruise, we thought it was funny. Unfortunately it was not funny, but was the truth. We were told by several crew members that many of the crew had left and they were tremendously short, in particular for the dining room. Never on this boat or this line again.

I am sorry to hear of your experience. We were on the March 29th to April 6th, New Orleans to Memphis, sailing and had a fine trip. Admittedly we did not eat in the Dining Room in the evening, as we could not get first seating and we must eat early for health reasons. We did eat there several times at lunch and dinner and the service and food were very good, as was the food at the Front Porch.

We have just booked back-to-back Cincinnati sailings in late June. It does concern me, though, that they are offering 2-for-1 again. I understood that March might be a quiet time, but am surprised that summer trips are not filling up.

Calliope, any thoughts?

We have just booked back-to-back Cincinnati sailings in late June. It does concern me, though, that they are offering 2-for-1 again. I understood that March might be a quiet time, but am surprised that summer trips are not filling up.

Calliope, any thoughts?

Not Calliope

but I will offer my opinion ...PRICE

People that are used to paying $399 for cruises are not going to be looking at paying $3000+ for a short 5-9 day cruise

JMO

Thanks. Agreed, price is surely a major factor. It is such a different experience from a mainstream cruise, which I guess many folks would not "get" and be willing to pay extra for. Our first trip with them was full price, and the boat was full. We just loved it. It was meant to be a one-time thing and we probably would not have done the last trip and surely would not be doing the June trip if both were not 2-for-1. My concern is the ongoing financial viability of AQSC.

Thanks. Agreed, price is surely a major factor. It is such a different experience from a mainstream cruise, which I guess many folks would not "get" and be willing to pay extra for. Our first trip with them was full price, and the boat was full. We just loved it. It was meant to be a one-time thing and we probably would not have done the last trip and surely would not be doing the June trip if both were not 2-for-1. My concern is the ongoing financial viability of AQSC.

Agree with you there

Our 1st trip was discounted but still only half full ship ..which was nice

Looking at another cruise maybe in Sept if the right deal comes along.;)

Lyn

I would like to comment that the price had absolutely nothing to do with our dissatisfaction. If anything maybe the fact that we are used to cruising with Seabourn and Regent in suites may have something to do with our feelings. (my favorite is still Allure and Oasis on Royal Caribbean and I don't remember seeing any cruises on them for $399 ) This was not at all an expensive cruise, rather less expensive than any we have taken in years.

Rude and unmannerly crew as well as tremendously disorganized is what we found. So, maybe you are correct, it was in the price. We won't STEP DOWN again. I was only trying to give an honest opinion of our trip.

Just like other places on cruise critic, don't say anything negative about MY LINE.

Huh? I merely said our experience was different than yours. In no way did I say that you are wrong or that I think somehow you were unhappy due to price. Nor did I defend AQSC. Then another poster and I exchanged a couple of comments about price being an issue for the line. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

I would like to comment that the price had absolutely nothing to do with our dissatisfaction. If anything maybe the fact that we are used to cruising with Seabourn and Regent in suites may have something to do with our feelings. (my favorite is still Allure and Oasis on Royal Caribbean and I don't remember seeing any cruises on them for $399 ) This was not at all an expensive cruise, rather less expensive than any we have taken in years.

Rude and unmannerly crew as well as tremendously disorganized is what we found. So, maybe you are correct, it was in the price. We won't STEP DOWN again. I was only trying to give an honest opinion of our trip.

Just like other places on cruise critic, don't say anything negative about MY LINE.

My comment was not directed at your posts if that is what you are implying

LDVinNC asked why the cruises do not seem to sell well, or why the ships do not sail full

JMO ... the prices do not appeal to those that prefer the lower priced ocean cruises

We all know their are people out there that search for the lowest deal

We have not sailed on the luxury lines or RCCL so cannot compare with their ships or service

We had one cruise on AQ ..it was fine for what we were looking for

No expections but the food exceeded what we had expected

The food was good, the staff were friendly, we had no problem only the room stewardess was not up to snuff

Everyone has different requirements & expectations

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I found it interesting what you wrote in your original posts. Even the printed documentation received in the mail was not up to your expectations. Nevertheless, I thought that you were giving an honest rather unbiased opinion. I too personally think that the current management of the AQ has a way to go before it reaches the high standards of The Delta Queen Steamboat Company when Sam Zell was majority stockholder. And I continued to read what you wrote.

During my most recent trip last July I too saw disorganization in the crew. I had a waitress that was incredibly wonderful at her job hampered by not having proper assistance in the dinning room. The feeling that I experienced from dinning room staff when not availing myself to the breakfast or lunch buffet is not a particularly endearing one. I'm sorry, if I order soup and salad off of the menu I don't want to be told to get it myself from the chow line. The old excuse of half the dinning room staff left after the last cruise is really getting tired and lame. The VP of Hotel Services/Hotel manager onboard, David Kelly, was indeed extremely rude to me for making, what I thought to be relevant suggestions to a certain situation. The young assistant purser in the office just groaned when I presented my problem to him.

A Yiddish proverb is a fish rots from it's mouth. Management needs to improve, and that's what I'm hoping for. This will be my fourth time on the AQ since she was reintroduced during 2012, and I keep hoping for better. That's why I waited to book a heavily discounted short trip. I can't necessarily justify paying such high per diems if the product offered does not provide even the very basics right! I want to see how they are now doing. And if my expectations are met, I'm considering the Christmas cruise later this year. If they are not met, I'm going elsewhere at Christmas, and continue to pray the DELTA QUEEN comes out next year operated by a different company.

I've been on the OASIS OF THE SEAS and enjoyed the cruise along with other Royal Caribbean ships including the SONG OF NORWAY. I have been in the Queens Grill suites on Cunard's QE2, QM2, and QE for cruises and transatlantic crossings. I was also on the S.S. NORWAY during her last days. Talk about faded glory! I enjoyed each and every one, and with well more than one-hundred cruises as a paying passenger I never felt that I was lowering my standards to experience a certain ship, boat or line.

Then I hear that this was a step down for you from the rarified air of Regent and Seabourn; well I'd be unhappy too. If that was the same condescending attitude, no wonder you were dissatisfied. It can be very unsettling trying new things, and not being around others that you have a natural inclination towards. I would not recommend that you ever give the AQ another try. In all fairness they blew it, and you would just be miserable. Perhaps even more so than when you are giving your honest opinion and not every Cruise Critic here is feeling as strongly as you apparently do.

I am sorry to hear of your experience. We were on the March 29th to April 6th, New Orleans to Memphis, sailing and had a fine trip. Admittedly we did not eat in the Dining Room in the evening, as we could not get first seating and we must eat early for health reasons. We did eat there several times at lunch and dinner and the service and food were very good, as was the food at the Front Porch.

Calliope, any thoughts?

Why, yes, thank you! Your back to back round trips out of Cincinnati are over very scenic stretches of the Ohio River with many enjoyable stops.

The three night trip will take you to both Louisville and Madison, Indiana. The Louisville landing is about 133 miles downriver from Cincy. In Louisville if you enjoy history and marine transportation the Str. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE ,which is celebrating her 100th anniversary this year (http://www.belleoflouisville.org), is only a short walk away from where the AQ lands downtown in the Falls City. Mark Twain wrote about steamboats just like the BELLE. There truly is nothing like her any where else in the World, and if the opportunity presents itself it's always enjoyable to ride the BELLE. Madison is a wonderful little town with very friendly residents. It's an easy walk up to Main Street and enjoying the shops and parks in town. Admission to the Lanier Mansion is probably included with the standard shoretours and this antebellum Greek Revival gem is every bit as stunning as the great houses on the Lower Mississippi.

I'm not sure if lunch will be provided for you on lay over day in Cincinnati. (The old Delta Queen Steamboat Co. would always provide a kitchen prepared hot lunch) If not there are several nice restaurants that are a safe and easy walk across the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge between Cincinnati and Covington, Kentucky. Construction of the Roebling bridge was halted by the Civil War and it is considered the prototype for Roebling's Brooklyn Bridge. Also along Covington's riverfront is the lovely Licking Riverside Historic District with a number of Italianate, Greek Revival, and Second Empire homes that are well worth seeing. Walking north from where the AQ lands in Cincinnati will take you into downtown Cincinnati. Just head up Broadway and turn left on Fifth Street and you can walk to Fountain Square and Greater's Ice Cream Parlor. Oprah says it's the best ice cream that there is, and I agree.

The four night trip steams sixty miles up river to Maysville, which is a nice little town to walk about. It's claim to fame is Rosemary, Betty and Nick Clooney grew up there. The Russell Theatre is being restored and was where "The Stars are Singing" was premiered. The next stop is 100 miles further upriver at Huntington, West Virginia. It's the home of Marshall University and is a major rail center for CSX Railroad. Augusta, Kentucky is the last stop. The town is quite small and easy to stroll around. George Clooney's folks still live there, and if Nick Clooney is in town, he'll probably come down to gander at the biggest steamboat to ever land in Augusta. Rosemary Clooney and her husband Dante had a home in Augusta to get away to from California. It's now a museum dedicated to Rosie. Another interesting thing is that thirty or so years ago Augusta was used by the makers of the TV movie "Centennial" to film the waterfront scenes of what was supposed to be St. Louis.

Anyway, I'm hoping that you have an enjoyable seven nights aboard the boat, and that I have an enjoyable four nights there. I'm really hoping we all receive wonderful service, excellent food, and that everyone leaves the boat anxiously looking forward to another steamboat trip!

Edited by Calliope

Regarding the service in the dining room and comparing this to ocean going vessels:

Please be aware that the river cruise ships do have to have US crew by legal reasons. While Regent or Seabourn can hire Asian crew it´s pretty hard for an US flagged vessel to find well trained crew. I´m not quite sure but American Queen Steamboat Company has some kind of agreement with the city of Memphis which may include that they have to hire staff from the Memphis area.

Remember NCL America used to have 3 ships in Hawaii. Passengers complained a lot about bad service and collegue students who think that they are on vacation instead of doing their job onboard.

With the extremly fast growing cruise industry there is an extreme lack of trained staff - even with the ocean going vessels. So I can imagine it´s even harder to find trained US staff. You have to be addicted to steamboating when you work on there for more than a contract. Most of the new crew members do not have a clue what they are into. So it´s not unusual that many of them quit after the first week.

I agree with Calliope that there might be a management problem too.

I haven´t been on the AQ since she came out in 2012 (except as a visitor last summer). ACL is doing a different thing hiring collegue students for 12 weeks getting them a training in their headquarters. But those boys and girls have to do double duties as waiter and cabin steward.

steamboats