Wine in Cozumel or just Tequila

The Phoenixx

Counting down, excited and can hardly wait. We are still not sure what we are going to do other than the beach, but we will work that out. I wanted to know if Cozumel is a place where we can find good wine? Also where can I find the tequila with the worm in it?

Thanks in advance.

First, no tequila has a worm in the bottle. You are think about mescal. Mescal is made from the maguey plant is is a variety of agave that is used tequila. But the distillation and taste are different. Mescal is available. But look for the single village distilleries for a better product.

The better place to look for wine and mescal is at either Mega or Chedrauri groceries or Cosi Liquors. All near the downtown area. Taxi drivers know where they are. Not sure which wines are readily available in Cozumel as the major wine producing areas are in the North and Western parts of the country, around Guadeloupe and Ensenada. But I think that wines from L.A. Cetto and Monte Xanic labels should be around. L.A.Cetto has a decent Petite sirah and Monte Xanic is know for their chenin blancs,voigners and chardonnays. They are a bit more pricy than L.A. Cetto. You'll probably find a lot more selection from Chile's Concha y Toro vineyards than any vineyard in Mexico and Chilean wines are very popular in the Yucatan/Riveria Maya areas.

Thank you for your thorough answer. It is obvious I am not a wine or tequila expert. Barely a novice, but I think they will make nice gifts to bring back now that I know what to look for. :)

on Melgar ave next to Mega is La Europea store with a wide selection of wines,

tequilas, etc

https://www.laeuropea.com.mx/tiendas.asp?vm=n&e=63