Skagway bike tour through rainforest and tidal flats

kjpabl

Hi, planning a cruise to Alaska again (in 2015) and this time bringing our DD and SIL. They are excited about the whale watching excursion in Juneau and the fishing trip in Ketchikan. However, they are active people and would prefer something other than the tour my DH and I have planned in Skagway (Dyea Dave's tour to Emerald Lake and then back on the WP&Y RR). They saw the cruise line's advertisement for a Bike tour that takes you out to Dyea then you bike through a rainforest and out to the coastal tidal flats. I have always relied on the advice here on the CC boards and do all our own booking. Does anyone know of a tour company that does a tour like this? Who would I contact? I looked on the Skagway website and couldn't find any bike tours. :confused: Thanks for any advice.

I have biked both the above routes. I do not recommend either as tours. Especially the Klondike Highway biking. You are jammed up between two guides, no bike paths, heavy traffic.

I would never consider any "tour" for biking to Dyea. It is simple and easy to go on your own, at your own pace. There are several points of interest that are clearly marked, which you can stop at if you wish. The biggest problem with both of these, if you take "tours" ( and especially for someone looking for activity) is they are going to be very tame and based on the least fit, slowest rider, only going as fast as them. These tours also go in foul weather, which is my preference for avoiding. I've had no problem picking up bikes any day I wanted them. As mentioned, Sockeye Cycle is the Skagway vendor.