ABC Jeep Safari

Ashkins

IMMN: I might try taking it in our backpack with our towels wrapped around it---or maybe I'll take some bubble wrap. I wasn't going to try to film anything while we were riding since everybody on here has talked about how bumpy it is. I figured it would be all I could do to hang on to DH---LOL!! I'm so glad you had a good time. We are really looking forward to this!! Oh, I do have one other question---Can you leave things in the jeep when you get to your stops? Do they have someone from their company stay with the jeeps? Thanks again! Susan & Jim

[quote name='PurrSusan']IMMN: I might try taking it in our backpack with our towels wrapped around it---or maybe I'll take some bubble wrap. I wasn't going to try to film anything while we were riding since everybody on here has talked about how bumpy it is. I figured it would be all I could do to hang on to DH---LOL!! I'm so glad you had a good time. We are really looking forward to this!! Oh, I do have one other question---Can you leave things in the jeep when you get to your stops? Do they have someone from their company stay with the jeeps? Thanks again! Susan & Jim[/QUOTE]

I felt comfortable leaving my things in the jeep during stops. No, they do not watch over your belongings. If you have anything of great value, it would probably be fine, but to be safe you might want to take it with you. FYI, the AM part of the tour is quite tame touring different areas of Aruba...the thrill begins in the afternoon. Be sure to wear supportive shoes or sandals.

[quote name='Driftwoodgal']If you have a bad back and neck, would you recommend this tour? It sounds like this tour is one that you will remember and talk about for months, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the cruise because of pain.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would not take this tour if I had any neck or back problems. The ride to the natural pool is extremely bumpy...actually driving over huge bolders. Aruba is beautiful!!!! There is much to see and do without going to the natural pool and taking a risk of further injuring your back or neck.

IMMN, Did you go to the Ostrich Farm? If so, was it a "drive-by" or did you go in? Also, I read where they take you to lunch. What was good to eat? Were there any good places to buy things? Where were the best prices? Thanks again until I can think of more questions--LOL!!! Susan

[quote name='PurrSusan']IMMN, Did you go to the Ostrich Farm? If so, was it a "drive-by" or did you go in? Also, I read where they take you to lunch. What was good to eat? Were there any good places to buy things? Where were the best prices? Thanks again until I can think of more questions--LOL!!! Susan[/QUOTE]
We did go to the Ostrich Farm. There was a tour guide at the farm that took us around. We were there for about an hour. Yes, you also go to lunch. You do not get to choose....I know there was chicken, rice, and cole slaw, maybe fries...not memorable, but good. We enjoyed drinking the local beer more! We did not shop on the tour or Aruba. I believe there may have been a shop by the natural bridge.

[quote name='Driftwoodgal']If you have a bad back and neck, would you recommend this tour? It sounds like this tour is one that you will remember and talk about for months, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the cruise because of pain.[/QUOTE]

We took a Jeep tour when we were in Aruba last November. Jeeps were a wreck. Roads thru the National Park were nothing more than a series of ruts and pot holes. Very Rough. Saw the Natural Bridge, some caves, and a 30 minute stop at Baby Beach. None of these were worth the bouncing and jolting we took in the jeeps. Don't sit on a beach cot at Baby Beach. The beach attendant will come out of his makeshift shack and charge you $10 for the use of it, even for 1/2 an hour. We wouldn't do this tour again.

We just returned from our cruise. We did the ABC 1/2 day extreme excursion with Claudio as our guide. It was great! We hit the Ostrich farm which I thought was going to be a waste of time but it was actually pretty cool. Those are some crazy birds!!! Feeding them was a hoot! 2nd stop was the Gold Mill Fort along the coast line, then to the Natural Bridge.

Up till then the ride was pretty sedate but all that changed on the way to the Natural Pool! Woo-Hooo...what a ride! Sure glad I wasn't driving. It is not for the timid driver unless you are used to off road driving. The view is unbelievable. Unfortunately the Pool was closed to the extremely high winds which rendered the Pool unsafe to swim in, but we hiked down to it and took some great photos. After that we had lunch and local beer. Claudio then recommended a local Beach (Eagle Beach) with excellent directions on how to get back to the pier (local bus $1.15.. runs every 20 min)

Digital camera survived the ride...got some great shots in between bumps! Video would be more challengig for sure.

I would return to Aruba in a heartbeat.

Those of you who have taken the xtreeme adventure with ABC Tours. Was there very much walking? We were thinkiing of taking this tour in August. There are six of us and my Dad uses an electric scooter, he can do a small amount of walking with cruthches if it not a long distance. He loves to go on jeep trips here in the states so we are not worried about the bumping around just the walking.

There is definitely some walking to be done and would pose some definite challenges for the less than agile. The walks aren't long but there is alot of coral/rocks. The first stop @ the Gold Mill you could see enough without going into the fort but access into it contains rocks and rugged steps. The Natural Bridge-There are several rock steps down to the beach area but you could view from the top. The climb down to the Natural pool contains considerably more steps. Once down, there is additional climbing over rocks/coral to get to the Pool. If your Dad did not feel comfortable with hiking down to the Pool, he could stay @ the top.

Check with the company for all the variations of their tours. Maybe they have another itinerary that would work out.

[quote name='jnickolite']Those of you who have taken the xtreeme adventure with ABC Tours. Was there very much walking? We were thinkiing of taking this tour in August. There are six of us and my Dad uses an electric scooter, he can do a small amount of walking with cruthches if it not a long distance. He loves to go on jeep trips here in the states so we are not worried about the bumping around just the walking.[/QUOTE]
Since you have a group of six, I would contact ABC and ask them about a private jeep tour. The cost is not that much more. I would think this would be more enjoyable for your group because you can go where you want and go at your own pace. There is a fair amount of walking, and the terrain in rugged on the group tour.

We just returned from our cruise on the Adventure of the Seas and did the ABC jeep tour in Aruba. We had a wonderful time. We had Claudio as our driver and he was a lot of fun on the trip. He also provided us with a lot of information about the island as we drove around.

As for the jeeps. They are stick shifts. We chose to have Claudio drive our jeep and there were two jeeps following us. I have to say, I think the drivers in the jeeps were probably sorry at certain times that they were driving as it got pretty scary, but then I'm sure they had the satisfaction of being able to say they did it!

I would absolutely recommend this tour. We had a lot of laughs and saw some beautiful sights.

CAG5563, How did you get to be in Claudio's jeep? When I sent in my reservation I noted that we would really like for him to be our driver because we had heard such great things about him! Do we just jump in the jeep that is in the front?--LOL!! Thanks! Susan

We were on the Adventure of the Seas two weeks ago and did this tour and it was GREAT! They put us 4 with 2 girls that we didn't know. My husband (who is a very good driver) split the driving with one of the girls(who wasn't such a good driver) We were praying for our lives when she was driving. I don't think she's ever driven on another other than flat roads, and even then she was no good. We had Dito as our guide, who was also great! I would do this tour again in a heartbeat! I absolutely loved Aruba. We got great pictures! Make sure you wear sneakers! And be careful, the two guys in our group both got cuts, my husband getting out of the land rover, and our friend walking on the rocks at the natural pool.

After, Dito recommended Eagle Beach. We took a taxi there from the ship. I love beaches with no people, and that's exactly what this was.....BEAUTIFUL!

• 9 months later...
[SIZE=2][LEFT]Our half day with ABC tours was the best part of our week's stay. Claudio
was a huge reason why, he was informative, entertaining and a very gracious
host. He even impressed our "kids", ages 23, 19, 18 and 15, a feat not
easily accomplished! Our husbands enjoyed exchanging baseball trivia with
him. He is your best asset :D !!!!!!

Our only disappointment was that our photo of him standing on a rock, didn't
come out. He will be one of our fondest memories of Aruba.

Thanks ABC Tours for a great time!

[/LEFT]
The Siegrist & Swigart families
[/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I tell you what...anyone who does not come to these boards prior to a cruise is foolish. I have received such great advice here...Thanks for all the great reviews. I look forward to the tour in April...You guys are the greatest.

We booked the xtreme jeep safari for half day in Aruba on 12/30/05. We went to the information at the port and asked around - met with the ABC tour rep. We were about 6-8 people on a bus to their office where we signed all the paperwork. Then our guide, Charlie took us on a rough, bumpy ride to the top of the island. There we took some pictures, and did a steep hike to a telcom tower. He showed us the mountains of venezuela, and some Aruba history.

Then we drove to the Natural pool - i must say it was quite rough and scary at times. It was the two of us (my husband and I) and another family of 4. There was also another family of 4 from Sweden right behind us in another jeep - and the father drove the jeep. That was commendable! It was so scary at times even with a professional driver taking us around. I don't think the swedish father knew what he was getting into when he volunteered to drive.

Then we drove to the Ostrich Farm, Natural Bridge and the Gold mine.

Be sure to buckle up for this ride!

Then dropped us back at their office. We were then taken back to the ship in one of their buses. We went back to our room - took shower, got ready, had lunch, and came back down for our next excursion - horse riding.

We took the 1/2 day trip. I would now select the whole day trip as we missed the beach part of the day. With that said, I am not sure we did ABC but one company that was booked through Shoretrips.com. I did my excursions for two islands through them and they were marvelous, as well as this trip.

• 3 weeks later...
We just booked the half day Jeep tour for my kids and myself and the bus tour for my wife (She has an awful back and is afraid this will mess up her trip).We got great, timely feedback from ABC. They had to email to let me know that the 4 hour bus tour is now only a 2 1/2 hour tour but were very professional and answered all questions via email in one day. I'll let you know how the trip is when we get back in April.

Archived