45 mins to change planes at raleigh is it doable

nanaofthree

hope someone can help, just got flight times for ruby cruise in December ,we land in Raleigh at 17.20 and take of again at 18.05 ,is this enough time :( Its with American airlines for both legs of the journey ,thanks for any help !!

Yes-If your plane lands on time, you should have no problem. RDU airport is not large and your gates will be within easy walkable distance. I use this airport all the time as I live in the area.

Anyone who has actually flown through RDU will tell you it's very doable... actually easy... The problem is that you need your baggage to make it.

With a evening flight, I am guessing that the Ruby sails the next day and that you're flying in to MIA. Since AA is the dominant player in MIA, if you miss the flight or your baggage doesn't make it, AA will be most likely be able to get you (or your baggage) on another flight and still have plenty of time for your sailing.

I would go ahead and book AFTER making sure AA has other flights either that night or early the next morning "just in case..."

Thanks folks I feel a bit easier about it now ,sorry I didn't say this is our homeward journey so no worries about making the cruise :) I was worried it was a big airport but if everything goes ok we will be fine .

No worries as it is a small airport and you are flying the same airline which is a plus. If you happen to be running late let the flight attendants know and they will make sure you are first off.

Mike:)

hope someone can help, just got flight times for ruby cruise in December ,we land in Raleigh at 17.20 and take of again at 18.05 ,is this enough time :( Its with American airlines for both legs of the journey ,thanks for any help !!

I assume you will have to go through customs after landing (coming from London airport)? While RDU is relatively small, this extra step may eat into your time...but since there is limited international flights coming in (usually just AA flights from London) - you should be processed quicker than say JFK.

American probably has about 6 gates in Terminal 2 (very nice terminal BTW), so changing planes should be easy. However I would be nervous with 45 minutes if I had to go through customs/pick up my bag and recheck then board the MIA plane. Will there be a group of you? Flight attendents can inform the gate agents for the MIA flight to "wait" if possible.

John in NC

Edited by JohnBoy in NC
spelling

Is this a Princess UK charter flight?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I assume you will have to go through customs after landing (coming from London airport)?

Since this is after the cruise, OP will probably be coming from FLL or MIA.

Edited by caribill

Is this a Princess UK charter flight?

RDU has service to and from LHR on a direct flight which is something we are taking advantage of for our TA in October.

As to the OP's question, this will be easy to make assuming your flight into RDU is on time. I am not sure how long they will hold up the flight to LHR, but since there is only one per day, if it were me I might see if I could change the flight into RDU to build in a little leeway if possible.

Edited by Dudleydog73

Confusion: is the OP from Gloucester, MA or Gloucester, UK? If they're flying on to Boston, no problem. If they're flying on to the UK (Raleigh would be a very strange routing from FLL to LHR), then it's not enough time.

If you haven't been assigned seating on the plane you might want to get as close to the front of the plane as possible. You would be one of the first off the plane which would make getting to the next gate a bit faster.

bhopal21 beat me to it. From one of the OPs other threads they state "We are scottish but live in england now in the lovely city of gloucester:) "

I agree that since there are no later flights the same day to LHR that I would be nervous about a 45 minute connection, especially with possible delays built in from FLL/MIA that accumulate throught any given day.

If all goes exactly to plan with all flights on time it is doable as you will just have to walk at most 30 feet from one gate to the other to board. Saying that I agree with Pam, I would try to get into RDU ealier to build in some buffer.

Keep in mind that RDU does not have the capabilities for dealing with winter weather much, and you'll have the possibility of weather + early Christmas traffic which could cause some delays.

I have bought tickets before knowing there was a very short layover, and then called the airline and told them what was going on and how I was really worried I'd miss the connection (and miss the cruise or whatever else I was doing). Many agents have been understanding and changed my flight to an earlier one without a change fee or additional fare. Sometimes you might have to call back a few times and talk to someone else, but it's certainly an option to consider.

Based on the '17:20' scheduled arrival at RDU it appears OP's non-stop flight originates in Miami (acknowledging Ruby docks in Ft Lauderdale). If not too late to make change if OP is flexible with air carrier from south Florida to RDU currently there's a non stop Jet Blue flight from FLL to RDU with scheduled arrival at 16:11, allowing more time to connect with the 18:05 AA flight to LHR.

If not too late to make change if OP is flexible with air carrier from south Florida to RDU currently there's a non stop Jet Blue flight from FLL to RDU with scheduled arrival at 16:11, allowing more time to connect with the 18:05 AA flight to LHR.

I would bet that the OP has an AA ticket booked all the way from UK to Florida (via Raleigh) and back again. Switching an airline for a segment is probably not an option.

Also, if there is no interline agreement between Jet Blue and AA, luggage would have to be claimed in Raleigh and then checked again with AA, probably about an hour before flight time at RDU.

Based on the '17:20' scheduled arrival at RDU it appears OP's non-stop flight originates in Miami (acknowledging Ruby docks in Ft Lauderdale). If not too late to make change if OP is flexible with air carrier from south Florida to RDU currently there's a non stop Jet Blue flight from FLL to RDU with scheduled arrival at 16:11, allowing more time to connect with the 18:05 AA flight to LHR.

This is a complete "non-starter". AA and Jetblue have completely severed ties including their interline agreement. Caribill's speculation is correct, bags would have to be claimed when arriving into RDU on B6, then carried over to AA and checked in. That's not possible with the flight times you've listed. Good thought, though!

Edited by kenish

So you are suggesting that instead of taking one airline, which will be able to protect the OP in case of a delayed MIA-RDU departure onto one of five daily Miami-London non-stops operated by BA/AA, that they instead take two airlines, starting at a mess of a third world airport facility, with no protection if the JetBlue flight is delayed causing the OP to find a new way to London?

45 minutes is more than adequate and at most the flights will be 3 gates apart in Raleigh.

Edited by personnext

As the OP is a UK passenger, most UK passengers are REQUIRED to book everything as a package-cruise, air, insurance.

So changing airlines or even changing flights may not even be an option. This is one time where cruise air WILL protect the passengers if this was booked out of the UK as a package. Their consumer protection laws are much more stringent than those in the USA and insurance is REQUIRED. They are also more expensive booked out of the UK because of the insurance requirement and stringent consumer protections.

OP needs to MAKE SURE the luggage is checked all the way through to LHR from MIA. 45 minutes is more than enough at RDU. I really like flying through that little airport BUT I bet it will be "de hubbed" as soon as this merger is complete. Just too much US Air traffic through Charlotte. So things could change quite a bit before the OP cruises.