If you think Disney is too expensive...

amyh13

I found that the pricing for DCL varies a lot and we found a good price on our off-season cruise coming up in early December. I am anxious to find out what is better on a Disney cruise vs. the Carnival cruises we have gone on in the past.

We decided to try DCL at this time due to my oldest DS's disability and his health has gotten worse. At 24 years of age, he is the ultimate Disney fan and since we don't know how much longer he will be able to travel, we want him to experience all of his Disney friends up close and personal. I am sure we will have a good time.

The cost of our 4 day cruise on Disney is more than our two 4 day cruises on Carnival and one 4 days cruise on Royal Caribbean combined.

We still have 40 days until we sail on the Dream. We are looking forward to our cruise and expect to have a good time.

I just keep thinking is 4 days on the Disney ship going to be better than 12 days on other ships?

It wouldn't be for me. I am willing to pay a bit more for DCL, but not 3 times as much.

Thought I would chime in, having just returned from the 9 day Wonder cruise to Alaska. It was a fine trip, but DCL definitely didn't live up to expectations considering the premium you pay to sail with them. The things they did well, they did very well - I loved the 3 Disney shows (though only having 3 good shows on a 9 night cruise was a disappointment), the character appearances, the Pixar party, and the sailaway/farewell parties were fabulous. However, the kids clubs were a big let down - not being split by age group was a problem with a 3 year old and 7 year old - things were either too old for the 3 year old or too old (or young) for the 7 year old. The club was dark and gloomy, and the lab was fluorescent - not very welcoming in either space. The kids went maybe 4 times the entire cruise, and then only because I forced them into it - very disappointing. I didn't witness any of the above and beyond service, either - not that anyone was rude or anything, but the service was certainly no better than on other lines. Food was good, but we weren't fans of the scheduled dining - the buffet wasn't open all day and other than pizza or hot dogs, it was hard to find snacks for the kids outside of the scheduled dining times. Maybe I set my expectations too high, or maybe I shouldn't have compared it to my "preferred" cruise line, but I did feel that the experience was a bit of a let down and wouldn't pay the premium to cruise DCL again!

Reasons you couldn't pay me to cruise on Carnival...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-5JpJwyqk

There are plenty more where those came from...

Add in floating cesspools and decor that looks like Vegas threw up all over the ship...

I'd rather stay home.

As you can tell I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, and I have never witnessed anything like is on those videos. I'm sure I could pick any cruise line and go on YouTube and find videos with similar behavior. Yes, the décor on some Carnival ships is over the top, but after a while you don't even notice.

To each his own.

As you can tell I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, and I have never witnessed anything like is on those videos. I'm sure I could pick any cruise line and go on YouTube and find videos with similar behavior. Yes, the décor on some Carnival ships is over the top, but after a while you don't even notice.

To each his own.

Yes, you can. Here's proof:

And here's a lovely little story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/crew-snorting-cocaine-on-disney-cruise-1268481

And lest we forget...one of the most popular "games" out there is drinking around the world at Epcot. Disney isn't nearly as well-behaved as some would have you believe. I've never seen crazy drunk out of control people on Carnival but I've seen my share of drunk people on all cruise lines, including Disney. Plus, I don't typically care what someone who has been on a grand total of five cruises, only three of which are on mainstream lines, has to say about cruising.

Enjoy your DCL cruise. It's lovely and it's nice you're doing this for your son.

Add in floating cesspools and decor that looks like Vegas threw up all over the ship...

I'd rather stay home.

Too funny, especially the first one and second one.:eek:

Thought I would chime in, having just returned from the 9 day Wonder cruise to Alaska. It was a fine trip, but DCL definitely didn't live up to expectations considering the premium you pay to sail with them. The things they did well, they did very well - I loved the 3 Disney shows (though only having 3 good shows on a 9 night cruise was a disappointment), the character appearances, the Pixar party, and the sailaway/farewell parties were fabulous. However, the kids clubs were a big let down - not being split by age group was a problem with a 3 year old and 7 year old - things were either too old for the 3 year old or too old (or young) for the 7 year old. The club was dark and gloomy, and the lab was fluorescent - not very welcoming in either space. The kids went maybe 4 times the entire cruise, and then only because I forced them into it - very disappointing. I didn't witness any of the above and beyond service, either - not that anyone was rude or anything, but the service was certainly no better than on other lines. Food was good, but we weren't fans of the scheduled dining - the buffet wasn't open all day and other than pizza or hot dogs, it was hard to find snacks for the kids outside of the scheduled dining times. Maybe I set my expectations too high, or maybe I shouldn't have compared it to my "preferred" cruise line, but I did feel that the experience was a bit of a let down and wouldn't pay the premium to cruise DCL again!

I could have told you before you got on the Wonder that you would be disappointed after looking at all of the Princess cruises you have been on. Disney charges a premium price because they can because of demand not because of their product necessarily, albiet, I think it is a nice product and I do not feel neglected or paid too much when I have sailed Disney, but the premium price comes from the demand.

Everyday kids are born to parents that want to take their kids to Disney World and then on a Disney cruise. The parents don't care what it costs, it is a quest :). Everyday Disney has a market that is coming of age, it is really an amazing empire when you think of it. So with demand comes the high prices.

The things you mentioned that Disney does well - that's exactly what you are paying for. Nobody else can provide the Disney shows and characters and that's why they command the premium they do. I would totally agree with your assessment about the food, service, etc. Pretty much the same as any other mass market cruise line. Surprised in your opinion of the kids club. Haven't been on the Wonder but we found the kids club on the Fantasy to be the best of any line we have sailed on (and we've done most of the major ones).

Disney seems to charge a much higher premium in Alaska than they do in the Caribbean. We're sailing on the Magic to the Caribbean in April and it was cheaper than doing the Royal Princess for the 4 of us in comparable staterooms (mini-suite vs. cat 4 on Disney). Doing a Disney cruise to Alaska certainly wouldn't be my first choice. To me their product is much more appealing in a warm weather climate when you can take full advantage of the pool area, have the fireworks, etc.

We like Princess as well (we are platinum), but right now Disney works far better for us. Princess (and other lines) just doesn't offer nearly as much for our kids as Disney and for us that is worth the premium.

Out of interest, does anyone know why DCL does not split the club/lab by age range? Are they the only line not to do so? I'm sure part of the issue with the kids not liking the club/lab was the big age range - maybe if they had both been older it wouldn't have been as much of a problem...

I could have told you before you got on the Wonder that you would be disappointed after looking at all of the Princess cruises you have been on. Disney charges a premium price because they can because of demand not because of their product necessarily, albiet, I think it is a nice product and I do not feel neglected or paid too much when I have sailed Disney, but the premium price comes from the demand.

Everyday kids are born to parents that want to take their kids to Disney World and then on a Disney cruise. The parents don't care what it costs, it is a quest :). Everyday Disney has a market that is coming of age, it is really an amazing empire when you think of it. So with demand comes the high prices.

LoL! Wish you had told me BEFORE I spent all that money....:D I agree, the marketing is great and the demand is huge - there were so many folks booking future cruises on board so they couldn't have all been disappointed! If I didn't have other cruises to compare it to, I'm sure I would have loved it...I also need to lower my expectations a little!

Out of interest, does anyone know why DCL does not split the club/lab by age range? Are they the only line not to do so? I'm sure part of the issue with the kids not liking the club/lab was the big age range - maybe if they had both been older it wouldn't have been as much of a problem...

Because they used to and people complained about siblings not being able to be together.

I like the large range myself. I was looking at Princess to Alaska this summer, but their youngest group is 3-7, and I know my 7yo son would NOT be happy with that, especially since his brother would beer in the older group... It does not make sense to force 2nd graders to be with preschoolers, and not have the option to be with older kids.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'd rather stay home.

Pish posh! I've seen fights break out on Disney at the Pirate party because someone stepped in front of another person, blocking their view.

I had a friend who was in an accessible area for viewing a deck party, and a woman came up to him and was screaming at him, because he was "taking up space that her child could have used".....although it WAS a designated area, and her child didn't have special needs.

In 12 Disney cruises, trust me, I've seen plenty of drunks.

According to the cruises listed in your signature, you can afford to take expensive trips.....not everyone can.

Pish posh! I've seen fights break out on Disney at the Pirate party because someone stepped in front of another person, blocking their view.

I had a friend who was in an accessible area for viewing a deck party, and a woman came up to him and was screaming at him, because he was "taking up space that her child could have used".....although it WAS a designated area, and her child didn't have special needs.

In 12 Disney cruises, trust me, I've seen plenty of drunks.

According to the cruises listed in your signature, you can afford to take expensive trips.....not everyone can.

Plenty of obnoxious folks on DCL, just like everywhere else in the world!

I noticed in your signature you're taking the three day Wonder next October. I wish there was a way on Cruise Critic to send you a message, but happy anniversary!

Plenty of obnoxious folks on DCL, just like everywhere else in the world!

I noticed in your signature you're taking the three day Wonder next October. I wish there was a way on Cruise Critic to send you a message, but happy anniversary!

Thank you!!! We usually do a quick 3 night resort stay somewhere in Phoenix....one of the Pointe Resorts or whatever....but I really wanted to jump on this cruise. The price was actually pretty good on opening day.

We have cruised Disney, Carnival, RCCL and, most recently, Celebrity (Solstice) The Celebrity was not "stuffy"..all age groups, but not many kids. We loved the service. The food was very good. We are going Disney again Nov 2015. You will love Celebrity. They treat you right!

We loved our cruise on the Disney Fantasy in January 2013. We do have an extended balcony booked for next January on the Fantasy as well. However, we are cruising on Celebrity to Bermuda this summer, and we will switch our winter cruise to Celebrity if we like it. The cost is not that much cheaper, but they do have better perks such as the alcoholic drink package included. I really loved the whimsy of Disney, so I'm really hoping that Celebrity isn't too stuffy for us. We are an early 30s couple with no kids. We are very exited to try different lines, so we can judge for ourselves which is our favorite. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To each his own.

Yet, the poster who put that up never went on a Carnival cruise. I like people who can think for themselves and not gain their experience via YouTube.

All of those videos were from the 3-4 day booze cruises so that kind of behavior can be expected. Of all the Carnival cruises I've taken (and on Celebrity) I have never witnessed that nonsense but, then again, I don't go on booze cruises.

yet, the poster who put that up never went on a carnival cruise. I like people who can think for themselves and not gain their experience via youtube.

All of those videos were from the 3-4 day booze cruises so that kind of behavior can be expected. Of all the carnival cruises i've taken (and on celebrity) i have never witnessed that nonsense but, then again, i don't go on booze cruises.

exactly!!!

Yet, the poster who put that up never went on a Carnival cruise. I like people who can think for themselves and not gain their experience via YouTube.

All of those videos were from the 3-4 day booze cruises so that kind of behavior can be expected. Of all the Carnival cruises I've taken (and on Celebrity) I have never witnessed that nonsense but, then again, I don't go on booze cruises.

The point is that I know I wouldn't enjoy Carnival for the same reasons I hated RCCL. I want a more refined experience in a smaller ship. Why in earth would I spend the money to take a vacation where I would be miserable?

Let's start with the asinine policies for BYOB wine, then move on to the hoardes of people and finish with the generic ports. No thanks. I'll stick with the small ships that treat adults like adults--DCL if I'm taking kids along.

Edited by ducklite

The point is that I know I wouldn't enjoy Carnival for the same reasons I hated RCCL. I want a more refined experience in a smaller ship. Why in earth would I spend the money to take a vacation where I would be miserable?

Let's start with the asinine policies for BYOB wine, then move on to the hoardes of people and finish with the generic ports. No thanks. I'll stick with the small ships that treat adults like adults--DCL if I'm taking kids along.

This is a fair statement and a bit clearer in your desires for a cruise. What I had an issue with is posting some YouTube videos and giving the impression that if you go on Carnival you'll be exposed to fights, drunks and generally unacceptable behavior. That really isn't the case at least in my experience. Does it happen? No doubt it does on any mass-market cruise line especially on the shorter cruises.

Edited by Cushing985

I SO want to take small-ship cruise. But they're just not as wheel-chair friendly for DS.

DCL is very wheel-chair friendly. And we don't have to book mini-suite just to have a stateroom that fits our family. We can book an inside. So we can waste our $$ doing other DCL stuff.

And they treat adults like adults, more than most lines do...

Edited by mdvlprof

But on DCL, there are still hoards of people....especially little ones who dash in and out, running around and amok.....and the ports?? Same old, same old. Over and over and over.

This is a fair statement and a bit clearer in your desires for a cruise. What I had an issue with is posting some YouTube videos and giving the impression that if you go on Carnival you'll be exposed to fights, drunks and generally unacceptable behavior. That really isn't the case at least in my experience. Does it happen? No doubt it does on any mass-market cruise line especially on the shorter cruises.

I highly doubt that you'll regularly find brawls on many of the mass market lines. There were plenty of drunks on RCCL, but they aren't know for brawls. Neither is X, Princess, HAL, NCL, etc.

Bottom line, I've seen enough posts from people on these boards talking about their cruise experiences on CCL that lead me to believe that overall, the people that cruise that line are not people I care to sail with. YMMV.

I SO want to take small-ship cruise. But they're just not as wheel-chair friendly for DS.

DCL is very wheel-chair friendly. And we don't have to book mini-suite just to have a stateroom that fits our family. We can book an inside. So we can waste our $$ doing other DCL stuff.

And they treat adults like adults, more than most lines do...

That's one thing I very much like about DCL is that they do treat adults like adults. That said, I think the adults who act like children on some other lines are what made those lines begin treating everyone like a child.

There are some smaller sips that have fully accessible cabins--I know Regent has some, and there are modified accessible cabins on Windstar's StarPride.