If you think Disney is too expensive...

amyh13

FWIW, a one day ticket to universal IoA or Studios FL is about the same price as a one day ticket to MK. And their hotels were comparable to the nicer WDW resorts, in quality and price. Universal was the only non-Disney park I've been to that felt Disney quality.

So maybe you think Universal isn't good quality, but others don't. They are some stiff competition for WDW. And they have better rides for adults in terms of thrills too.

It's funny, actually - I was in for a little sticker shock when looking at the prices of Universal tickets. My boyfriend has been trying to convince me to go, and I haven't been there since pre-Harry Potter World, so I suppose I was still under the archaic notion that Universal was a good bit less expensive than Walt Disney World. Hardly the case anymore. "$114 for one day!? I'm not paying for this! We're going to Disney!" :D

I feel pretty sad that everyone who can't afford Disney and therefore goes someplace less expensive is somehow "riff raff".

LittleMissMagic, you mentioned people saving up for a Disney trip. A lot of people do that.....I'm wondering if they had to save up for such a trip, are they somehow lower class citizens? Seems Irene7 would have us believing that.

I feel pretty sad that everyone who can't afford Disney and therefore goes someplace less expensive is somehow "riff raff".

LittleMissMagic, you mentioned people saving up for a Disney trip. A lot of people do that.....I'm wondering if they had to save up for such a trip, are they somehow lower class citizens? Seems Irene7 would have us believing that.

I will admit that I haven't read every post in this thread, so I don't really understand why the argument is getting so heated.

I don't think that saving up for a trip to Disney World, or anyplace or anything for that matter, makes people "lower class citizens", and I'm not quite sure where that idea came from. I also Googled the term "Riff Raff", and the number one answer is a rapper from Houston. I sure hope we aren't talking about this guy...

riffraff.jpg

I hardley think Disney is ripping people off. You know the prices and the choice to go or not to go is yours. I gladly pay their prices because to me they are worth it. Did you ever think that if Disney were cheap, what amount of riff raff you would have and then no one would want to go anymore. If people feel disney is too expensive, then maybe they should stick with Universal, Bush Gardens and Carnival Cruise lines.

This was the post I was referring to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

When we first started to go to Disney World, the other guests were polite and well dressed (I'm not talking designer clothes). These days it seems that things have changed, and many of the people in ALL of the parks are pretty "riff raff-ish."

Disney used to be a lot more proactive about not allowing bathing suits, t-shirts with offensive slogans, basically keeping the attire modest and family oriented. Now they seem to afraid to either confront or offend, not sure which, but I'm seeing clothing and behavior that wouldn't have been accepted 15 years ago.

By the way, the true "riff raff" doesn't go to any of the theme parks. You'll find them at places like Magical Midway, Fun Spot, and Old Town USA, and most definitely on the short (3-4 day) Carnival cruises out of PC and MSC cruises out of Miami.

Edited by ducklite

I think Disney Cruise Line is very expensive. I know a lot of families with kids that would love to take their children on a Disney cruise and end up in Carnival or RCI because of the cost. $2,800 for a balcony cabin for 2 for a 3 nt to the Bahamas is ridiculous. I don't know if Disney is trying to cater to the middle-upper class only? If yes, it works.

I think Disney Cruise Line is very expensive. I know a lot of families with kids that would love to take their children on a Disney cruise and end up in Carnival or RCI because of the cost. $2,800 for a balcony cabin for 2 for a 3 nt to the Bahamas is ridiculous. I don't know if Disney is trying to cater to the middle-upper class only? If yes, it works.

Actually they cater to their share holders. As long as they keep the berths filled, they can (and should) charge as much as they can get.

Disney is not a charity, they are a business enterprise which exists to make as much profit as possible.

I'll probably get in trouble for this....but.....how incredibly arrogant of you to say that people who go to Busch Gardens, Universal and on Carnival are "riff raff".

That's more insulting and disgusting than me saying Disney rips people off.

And it IS a rip off, when they charge twice as much for McDonald's fries in the parks, as McD's charges elsewhere.

It's also a rip off to raise the park fees, without warning, when the product is exactly the same as it was the week before.

So maybe rip off isn't quite the right word. I'll settle for outrageous. Or ridiculous.

And just because someone CAN afford it, doesn't mean they're better than everyone else. I can afford it....and then some, but I'll choose to show my dislike by not going. I'll just join the riff raff elsewhere.

So arrogant.

First of all, I never said people who go to Universal, Bush Gardens are riff raff. I said if people think Disney is to expensive then they stick to them. What I meant by riff raff at Disney, is that when something it too cheap, and this can be anywhere, it does attract people you would not want to vacation with. Maybe I didn't word it properly.

As far a being arrogant, I believe that describes you MizDaisy. Constantly bashing and going on about how well off you are financially. I have read more than one post of you going on about how much money you have had your entire life. Who cares, and you are not the only one. The difference is, others don't brag about it.

You just don't get it.:rolleyes:

And I am, indeed, happy to be a Disney stockholder. :D

I have to say, though, we own a business. It's ornamental iron basically. We make anything and everything out of steel, stainless and copper. My husband is an old school blacksmith, so it's all custom work. We're the only company within a 100 mile radius (if not more) who does everything from I-Beams to small, decorative work. We definitely have the corner on the market. BUT....he refuses to "play" people because of that. He charges a fair price, and feels that word of mouth is the best advertising.

I guess what I'm saying is that we make a good amount of money, without feeling the need to totally rip people off. And sorry to say, I think especially in the Parks, Disney is ripping people off.....ticket prices, food, hotels.....it's just sad.

Ahh - but here's the rub. YOU appear to be a hypocrite - plain and simple. You denounce Disney as a rip-off yet are "happy" to be a stockholder. That's like someone who bemoans about the dangers of cigarettes but reaps the profits of owning Phillip Morris stock. IMHO - you can't have it both ways. If you think Disney is ripping people off - divest yourself of the stock and buy something else. But to label the company as a rip-off yet continue to reap the benefits of its appreciating stock - well - what does that say about you???

Edited by CI66774

I agree that DCL is worth the money. My husband and I also agreed that DCL is a little heavy on our wallets. We took a 10 cruise on DCL Wonder a couple of years ago and our kids LOVED it. They had a "Kids Sail Free" promotion that made the cost fit within our budget. I really wanted to go to Alaska and were planning to do that through DCL. The food and the service we had on the Wonder was very memorable. We decided to try Princess and will be cruising Alaska this summer.

I think if we all had unlimited funds we would do our cruises differently in some fashion (more spa visits, have balconies or suites, etc....). We would definitely book again with DCL in a heartbeat. What it comes down to is having fun with what you can afford. For me it's all about spending time with my family. My husband can disconnect himself from his job and we create memories that our kids will remember for a lifetime.

You took the words out of my mouth! Well said.

As for us we only do DCL. After the first one 8 cruises ago, my wife decided that she will not go on another cruise but through Disney. I have always contemplated on going on the Allure RCL however my whole family disagreed. My twin brother's family once taking another DCL cruise has always been greeted by the cast members mistakenly thinking that I was back on board again. Every time we get onboard the DCLs we are greeted by cast members who have seen us in the past. I feel like family to them.

Edited by ivrier

First of all, I never said people who go to Universal, Bush Gardens are riff raff. I said if people think Disney is to expensive then they stick to them. What I meant by riff raff at Disney, is that when something it too cheap, and this can be anywhere, it does attract people you would not want to vacation with. Maybe I didn't word it properly.

I don't assume that just because people have a lower income level and can't afford nice vacations that they are "riff raff". Pretty much wherever I vacation, regardless of cost, there are people I'd rather not have around me. Some very rich people are very rude. Some very poor people are very rude. It's a personality and courtesy thing, not an income thing.

It's funny, actually - I was in for a little sticker shock when looking at the prices of Universal tickets. My boyfriend has been trying to convince me to go, and I haven't been there since pre-Harry Potter World, so I suppose I was still under the archaic notion that Universal was a good bit less expensive than Walt Disney World. Hardly the case anymore. "$114 for one day!? I'm not paying for this! We're going to Disney!" :D

We went to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure in January instead of Disney World specifically because it was so cheap. 3 day ticket was $149.95. We had a terrific time and didn't miss Disney World at all.

We went to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure in January instead of Disney World specifically because it was so cheap. 3 day ticket was $149.95. We had a terrific time and didn't miss Disney World at all.

The 3 day park-to-park tickets are over $200 now for an adult for Universal, gate prices. If you want to add the express pass, it puts you over $300. It's really not THAT much cheaper than one park multi-day tickets at WDW.

That being said, I liked MK better than IoA, but as for the other WDW parks, I much preferred IoA. And now that they're opening Diagon, Universal will be my preference when in Florida. But I'll take DLR over both Universal and WDW! And DLR is a dead tie with DCL.

As for DCL cost, if you need to sail peak season, it is more than other lines. Supply and demand, the others have more ships to fill! If you can cruise off season, it's very comparable to other lines off season rates. I did some comparisons when booking our Fantasy cruise. A big plus with DCL was being able to do five to a room versus having to book 2 cabins on other lines for the five of us. If we were a family of 4 the comparison may have come out differently.

I don't assume that just because people have a lower income level and can't afford nice vacations that they are "riff raff". Pretty much wherever I vacation, regardless of cost, there are people I'd rather not have around me. Some very rich people are very rude. Some very poor people are very rude. It's a personality and courtesy thing, not an income thing.

I do agree with you. Riff Raff comes from all walks of life regardless of income, but for some reason a lot of them seem to have one thing in common and that is going to cheaper places. There are plenty of wonderful people that have a lower income level and they are not the people I was talking about. I could be standing in a check out line in, let's say Macy's, and encounter a jerk from time to time. But there have been many times that I would see an actual fight break out in a Walmart or have to listen to a person that can not put two sentences together without dropping the F bomb at least 5 times. It's just kind of hard not to notice these things.

I do agree with you. Riff Raff comes from all walks of life regardless of income, but for some reason a lot of them seem to have one thing in common and that is going to cheaper places. There are plenty of wonderful people that have a lower income level and they are not the people I was talking about. I could be standing in a check out line in, let's say Macy's, and encounter a jerk from time to time. But there have been many times that I would see an actual fight break out in a Walmart or have to listen to a person that can not put two sentences together without dropping the F bomb at least 5 times. It's just kind of hard not to notice these things.

One of the wealthiest women I know is so crass and foul-mouthed, that I refuse to be around her. We've had to deal with her because of business, but I won't socialize.

Money does not buy class.

Ahh - but here's the rub. YOU appear to be a hypocrite - plain and simple. You denounce Disney as a rip-off yet are "happy" to be a stockholder. That's like someone who bemoans about the dangers of cigarettes but reaps the profits of owning Phillip Morris stock. IMHO - you can't have it both ways. If you think Disney is ripping people off - divest yourself of the stock and buy something else. But to label the company as a rip-off yet continue to reap the benefits of its appreciating stock - well - what does that say about you???

The stockholder thing was a joke.:rolleyes: I own one share, that I get a dime for every year. Big deal. We bought it to frame, to put in our "Disney" room.

Obviously, I'm not the Disney hater everyone seems to think I am. But if someone is going to talk about whether or not it's worth that much more money to go on a Disney cruise....I've said it before, take your kids once or twice, see the same shows twice, and after that, I DO believe it's not worth the extra money.

MY opinion. And I have a right to it.

Just the same as I didn't word "rip off" properly??? What's okay for you, isn't okay for me? Whatever.

As far a being arrogant, I believe that describes you MizDaisy. Constantly bashing and going on about how well off you are financially. I have read more than one post of you going on about how much money you have had your entire life. Who cares, and you are not the only one. The difference is, others don't brag about it.

The only time I've mentioned being raised upper class was to point out that I've spent enough time around "rich" people to know that they are no different than anyone else. Again...money doesn't buy class. You'll find perfectly lovely people in every walk of life.

:eek:

I don't think I even want to know how you feel about different races!

:eek:

I don't think I even want to know how you feel about different races!

Your statement makes absolutely no sense. Ok, so if I can't stand foul mouth, trouble making idiots this means I'm a racist? Seriously!:rolleyes: Do you even know what race I am, take a guess doll!

It means you stereotype people based on perceived income level and where they shop, which I find appalling, and you probably stereotype people based on other things too. Seriously, people are rude, "riff raff", kind, polite, selfish, unselfish, from all walks of life. I don't assume someone shopping at walmart is less cultured than someone shopping at macy's. You just don't know.

Btw, just because my screen name is Dahlia doesn't mean I'm a "doll".

Edited by DahliaRW

Your statement makes absolutely no sense. Ok, so if I can't stand foul mouth, trouble making idiots this means I'm a racist? Seriously!:rolleyes: Do you even know what race I am, take a guess doll!

It doesn't matter what race you are. There are racists in every color of the rainbow.

I agree with you about not liking to hear the "F bomb".....can't even go to a movie any more because the writers think everyone talks like that.

But grouping people who use foul language as all being (or mostly) shoppers at Walmart, or non-Disney people IS racist. Prejudiced, at the least.

A Walmart just opened up in our small town. We're actually two "sister" towns, right next to eachother, north of Phoenix, north of Scottsdale.

The cars in our Walmart parking lot are BMW's, Jags, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi.....and those are just the employees!! :D

Seriously.....there are people who live up here who are pretty close to being the same net worth level as Bill Gates, and yet they shop at Walmart.

Ever hear of Bob Parsons? Look him up.

Solo Cup Company?

Zildjian Cymbals?

Edited by MizDaisy