Grand Suite vs. Owner's Suite on Voyager Class + Kids' Programming

I booked a Southern Caribbean sailing on Adventure OTS for DH, DD, and me for next spring. I'm very excited because 1) this will be our first time sailing RCI since DH and I were on the Radiance in 2002, and 2) we got a great deal with the BOGOHO promotion. I have a couple of questions for the experts:

1. The difference in cost between a Grand Suite and an Owner's Suite was $330. Is that a typical price difference? It seemed kind of small, so I went ahead an booked the OS thinking it was the better deal. Is it worth $330 more than a GS? $330 would buy a lot of beer and cocktails!

2. DD will be about 6 weeks shy of her 12th birthday when we sail. Is it an option for her to move up to the tween group, or will she need to stay with the 9-11s? Also, are the tweens in a separate physical space from the older teens, or are they all together?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

$330 sounds like a great deal for OS. Especially for the extra space:)

Regarding DD you can ask, they may say no and if they do say yes there will a lot of paperwork to fill out. There is another thread recently started that discusses this. However if DD does go up please bear in mind she will be with kids up to the age of 14.

Each age group has separate sections but regarding the teens they will be in close proximity to the 15plus age group.

My DD has always loved the 9-11 age group. We have noted on several cruises there have been 12 year olds move back down if space has permitted.

Thanks for your reply, Spurschick. I'm completely fine with DD being in the 9-11 group (in fact, I'd prefer that), but I have a feeling she'll want to be in the tween group. We were on the Disney Fantasy last month, and their tween club is for ages 11-13. She was about 6 weeks shy of 11 and I had to sign a waiver for her to move up. DH and I were nervous about it, but it turned out to be a highlight of the cruise for her. I'll look for the other thread you mentioned.

Edited by LisaLisa87

While ea GS is great - Id pay $330 more for an OS in a minute! Have a great cruise and enjoy your suite!

That's good to hear! I had no basis for comparison, but it sounded like a small difference given the extra square footage. Can't wait until April!

Years ago, the upgrade fairy gave us an OS. It was great. You'll have a nice dining area off to the side of a large living room. You can easily eat meals (ordered off the dining room menu) in your room. There is more storage than you could possibly ever use. The bathroom is large, spacious and has both a large shower and whirlpool tub and two sinks, if I remember right. There is a large TV with a DVD player (see concierge for DVD's or bring own).

We entertained 6 more people in the room and weren't even close to being crowded. The downside is a small balcony, but you still have one. Enjoy it!!:D

Have a great trip

We were in OS #1600 on Adventure of the Seas last December. It was wonderful and the balcony was very nice. I'll insert a link below to the slideshow my wife made with pictures she took for her website.

OS #1600 Adventure of the Seas

We have noticed the square footage in the OS category is different from ship to ship. The OS we staying in on the Mariner was larger as was the balcony. But we were very comfortable and the perks/amenities are very nice.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for your reply, Spurschick. I'm completely fine with DD being in the 9-11 group (in fact, I'd prefer that), but I have a feeling she'll want to be in the tween group. We were on the Disney Fantasy last month, and their tween club is for ages 11-13. She was about 6 weeks shy of 11 and I had to sign a waiver for her to move up. DH and I were nervous about it, but it turned out to be a highlight of the cruise for her. I'll look for the other thread you mentioned.

Your welcome. Maybe you could suggest to her she tries the younger club and if she really doesn't like it then revisit.

Enjoy your trip:)

Many thanks to all who replied. I'm feeling good about the price we paid for the Owner's Suite. I did find the other thread about 11 year olds moving up, and I'm leaning toward telling DD that she needs to stay in the 9-11 group. Even if RCI does sometimes make exceptions, my DD is young for her age and will most likely be better off in the younger group. Plus, I didn't realize that the tween and teen groups were sometimes combined.

Thanks again!

My experience is rccl is quite strict about age grps. My daughters could never change, even when within a week of their birthday. There are many more structured activities in the 9 to 11 group. Once they hit tween and above there is more hangout time in the teen room. If dgtr doesn't click with the other kids, or their aren't alot of kids sailing she might be disappointed in the older group.

If the difference is only 330 and not 330 a day (check that) then os will be much better especially if more than dh and dw are sailing.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app