Southampton Construction/Traffic

We were in Southampton twice the past few weeks; first as an in transit guest on the Crystal Serenity as we were on one of several back to back cruises and then more recently picking up the Queen Mary 2. For those of you arriving or leaving out of Southampton there is a lot of construction work taking place so give yourself extra time when arriving or leaving there. When we arrived there on May 9 to pick up the Queen Mary 2 once we got about one mile from the pier it took about 45 minutes to actually get to the ship because of the construction.

Keith

I had been under the impression that the roadworks would've been finished in April.

Big shock - scheduled to end NEXT April. :eek:

Cannot believe how long roadworks are taking EVERYWHERE in the UK.

Is this down to the Health & Safety culture that's sweeping the country? :rolleyes:

So yes, there may be problems summer-long for accessing Ocean Terminal & QE11 terminal.

But they don't affect City or Mayflower terminals, though they can still be problematic on Saturdays due to shoppers' traffic.

JB :)

It may not be much help - but here is a link: http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/future/transport-projects/platform-for-prosperity

At least you can see what they are doing. Timetable is pretty vague though.

Thanks for the link - takes me back to my work a bit. I worked as a secretary for the City of El Paso's Engineering department which included the department responsible for streets and roads. I've looked at many plans like that.

Actually timetables for construction can be very changeable - weather, revisions of the plans (notice the plan in the article is revision C), etc. all enter into how long it takes to complete a project. Especially a major one like this which is in the middle of a city.