LittleMissMagic's 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise - A Photo Review!

14092390627_9663d2b980_b.jpg

Playa Mia by vshingl, on Flickr

14092304398_21c05fb485_b.jpg

14278503754_b33b6b68bf_b.jpg

14278503724_b5bde22e18_b.jpg

The hot tub was not hot. It actually might have been colder than the pool.

14092344970_39137b5a3a_b.jpg

Rachel and Dad took out a paddle boat while Max and I went to look for food.

14092304028_fd09eaa6a2_b.jpg

14275624131_ce1d31004c_b.jpg

14255839166_38a1511c2f_b.jpg

Chicken nachos were $11 which I thought was rather high, but actually comparable to restaurants in the US. We walked away at first, but Max was hungry and decided that he really did want the nachos.

14255837716_5bd2a88c95_b.jpg

14278501894_8e0dc31991_b.jpg

They were actually very good, and I'm glad he got them... and was generous enough to share with me!

14275623961_5365082d9d_b.jpg

Dad's typical turn-around to realize that no one is following him.

14275623841_7fd5780fbb_b.jpg

Strike a pose.

We had a great time at Playa Mia, and I thought that it was a good value. We enjoyed the water slides and aqua park, and the overall facilities were in great shape. I would definitely visit Playa Mia again in the future and would recommend it to others.

Love the review!

Interested to hear your Disney vs NCL vs Royal vs Princess comparison! So far we've been Loyal to Royal, but now with a little one I am debating Disney but hope its not too costly.

Great report and pictures! I was on this cruise as well, in a room right down the hall form you (7520).

Were you on early or late dining? We had the same restaurant rotation as you, and we were on early dining (table 51).

The couple who won the Match Your Mate Game were part of the group I was with--I had just met them that night, and was actually snapping lots of pictures for them.

Edited by Jellyrolls

Love the review!

Interested to hear your Disney vs NCL vs Royal vs Princess comparison! So far we've been Loyal to Royal, but now with a little one I am debating Disney but hope its not too costly.

Thanks! I really want to take the time to do a quality comparison between all five lines, so I will post that after I finish my day-by-day trip report of our cruise. :)

Wait! so they have the Quest on Disney as well?!?! yaaay , do you know what other adult games they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Disney has adult games or adult-only shows almost every evening! The games on our cruise were Match Your Mate (like Love and Marriage/Marriage Match/etc.), Quest, Majority Rules, and 80s Music Challenge. There were also adult-only shows for the hypnotist, magician, and comedy and percussion group. Throughout the day, Disney has adult-only entertainment that has its own row in the schedule printed in the Navigator.

Great report and pictures! I was on this cruise as well, in a room right down the hall form you (7520).

Were you on early or late dining? We had the same restaurant rotation as you, and we were on early dining (table 51).

The couple who won the Match Your Mate Game were part of the group I was with--I had just met them that night, and was actually snapping lots of pictures for them.

We had late dining, but our table (56) would have been very near yours!

I was able to identify the winning couple (and the middle?) from Match Your Mate as being part of the AllEars group. We remembered his wife saying that he was good at Disney Trivia, and sure enough he won the Disney Trivia we attended!

Back Aboard

14299142503_429460d56a_b.jpg

Disney Fantasy by vshingl, on Flickr

14276908272_afe542025d_b.jpg

Cozumel, Mexico by vshingl, on Flickr

The trouble that we ran into all week was that on a port day, by the time we got back on the ship, Cabana's was closed. Therefore, we ate many meals on the pool deck at Flo's V8 Cafe. We are people who enjoy simple food, so the chicken tenders, hot dogs, and hamburgers satisfied us.

After lunch, Rachel and Mom went to check out the spa, Max and Dad went to fill their beer mugs, and I headed to the 12th deck to take photos as we left Cozumel. I was beginning to wonder where they were when they came up with their mugs full and told me that the Fantasy was almost out of Michelob Amber Bock which was their preferred draft beer. The bartender from Frozone's Treats had actually gone upstairs to the "hidden" bar to get them some from the only keg remaining on the ship.

14092302438_2720bb9a37_b.jpg

14299142423_ff46792d32_b.jpg

14092298489_49ce768c7e_b.jpg

14276909322_709dbefb67_b.jpg

I looked down at the Donald pool and thought "people soup." I don't know if it was the time of year or something specific to Disney Cruises, but I don't think I've ever seen more packed-out pools, yet empty loungers!

We were on the late dining rotation, second seating, table 59. We were with the AllEars group. The match your Mate winners were James and Linda from Virginia. James is a Disney Trivia expert. They are fun to be around. He ran the AllEars trivia contest.

My DH was dressed as BlackBeard on Pirate night, second seating. We had a blast.

Milton & Michele

Little Miss Magic, great reports and pictures.

Edited by shellyc

We were on the late dining rotation, second seating, table 59. We were with the AllEars group. The match your Mate winners were James and Linda from Virginia. James is a Disney Trivia expert. They are fun to be around. He ran the AllEars trivia contest.

My DH was dressed as BlackBeard on Pirate night, second seating. We had a blast.

Milton & Michele

Little Miss Magic, great reports and pictures.

James! I could not remember his name, but I spotted him several times during the cruise. He seemed like a fun, Disney-loving guy.

I think I remember your husband from Pirate Night! Is he in his costume in a photo on Deb's blog?

14092388377_7959df1722_b.jpg

14092344180_1d471b37e0_b.jpg

14278952525_22ae21524d_b.jpg

14276909062_c4566ded04_b.jpg

14276909172_ff03958ae0_b.jpg

Max and I took Dad on the Aqua Duck. The second time, Dad and Max rode together to pick up more speed. Having ridden in it by myself, with Rachel, Dad, and Max, I can confirm that the more weight, the faster you go! I remember hearing stories when the Aqua Duck first opened on the Dream of children getting stuck and cast members having to come and bump them along. Now children under a 54" tall must ride with another person. (The minimum height to ride is 42" tall. Single riders must be 54" tall. Children under 7 may ride with someone 14 years of age or older as long as they meet the 42" height requirement.)

14276908172_d31c71ba17_b.jpg"Hidden" Waves Bar by vshingl, on Flickr

We then went to the "hidden" Waves Bar so that Max and Dad could get more Michelob Amber Bock. We were told that the bar is primarily used by the bartenders who circulate the pool deck. Max was glad that the bar was in such a remote location (it's located on deck 12 beside the Aqua Lab and stairs to the sports deck).

Dinner - Animator's Palate

Animator's Palate is an interactive restaurant, telling the story of Disney Animation. This is the only restaurant theme which was carried from the Disney Magic and Wonder to the new Disney Dream and Fantasy. On the original Disney Magic and Wonder, Animator's Palate progressed from a black-and-white to a color restaurant over the course of the meal (the Magic as recently been "re-imagined" and while Animator's Palate has received updates, the black-and-white to color theme is continued). On the Dream and Fantasy, an entirely new dimension is brought to the restaurant with the addition of video and audio.

The 7-day Disney Fantasy has a total of three animation "shows" - A Finding Nemo themed show (utilizing technology used in "Turtle Talk With Crush" at Epcot's The Seas with Nemo), "Animation Magic" (which brings your drawings to life), and a special Pirate Night theme.

14275623071_e83b881acb_b.jpg

Animator's Palate by vshingl, on Flickr

Max loved the butter spread in Animator's Palate. You can actually buy them in the gift shop for $9.95 each. Disney never misses a merchandise opportunity.

14278502744_7b649e2c59_b.jpg

14092298079_5dd784ae73_b.jpg

14299140843_ca8b6343e5_b.jpg

14299141713_49f38eb8a5_b.jpg

14275623031_3a5f3afaef_b.jpg

The restaurant design is wonderful. I love the chairs, dishes, and decor. Of all of the restaurants, it is the most overwhelmingly Disney, but it's appropriate for the theme.

14092343910_1b44d2b276_b.jpg

Smoked Salmon Tartar by vshingl, on Flickr

For an appetizer, I had the Smoked Salmon Tartar which I enjoyed.

14092388197_5a5dc4c2e1_b.jpg

Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup by vshingl, on Flickr

The Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup was also good, but I remember finding it too filling to eat it all before my main entree.

14278955865_0fd24ef42e_b.jpg

Seared Red Snapper by vshingl, on Flickr

And for an entree, I had the Seared Red Snapper which definitely wasn't the best fish I had all week. I only ate a few bites. I did like the potatoes underneath, though.

James! I could not remember his name, but I spotted him several times during the cruise. He seemed like a fun, Disney-loving guy.

I think I remember your husband from Pirate Night! Is he in his costume in a photo on Deb's blog?

Yes, my DH's picture made Deb's blog. Deb and Linda were at Palo's on Pirate night so we crashed their dinner so we could show them DH's pirate costume.

100_1184_zpsbd551cdc.jpg

14278506194_8d0bb84f18_b.jpg

Now, what I really did not enjoy about Animator's Palate was the Finding Nemo theme. It's like you're eating dinner inside of an aquarium, except that the fish can talk. Talk about a nightmare come to life. The entire restaurant was incredibly loud with the music and audio. In addition to that, they played this game on the big screens where they lined up schools of fish to make pictures (like in Finding Nemo) and had everyone guess what they were making. So children were encouraged to scream at the walls, "A DOLPHIN!" "A TURTLE! A TURTLE!" The little boy at the neighboring table was especially enthusiastic about having his answers heard. You would think that after a few guesses, the children would understand that it didn't matter what they said - no one was listening (well, except us, unfortunately) and there was no reward for getting it right. My mother suggested that they should give the kids iPads and let them answer digitally so that there would be less screaming in the restaurant.

While I loved the decor in Animator's Palate, I found the atmosphere that night to be incredibly overwhelming. Due to the noise, none of us really felt well and didn't eat much. This made Tana very concerned, as we normally devour any food placed in front of us. He offered several times to get us different dishes.

14278955675_b69023724f_b.jpg

Cookies n' Cream Sundae by vshingl, on Flickr

For dessert, I had the Cookies n' Cream Sundae. Sundaes are always a good choice.

14092392397_d91b85c8f5_b.jpg

White Chocolate Fudge Cheesecake by vshingl, on Flickr

Max had the white chocolate cheesecake.

14278955645_11d660ac29_b.jpg

VIC_6500 by vshingl, on Flickr

During perhaps the absolute most stressful moment during the entire meal, we entered the East Australian Current, and the music blared and the lights spun, as digital turtles circulated the room and they encouraged us to get up and dance.

Speaking of turtles, Crush came around to each large television screen throughout the meal and talked to nearby guests. It's the same technology that they use at Turtle Talk with Crush at Epcot's The Seas with Nemo. However, we didn't think that the actor's voice was quite as good.

14299145163_d2a0317614_b.jpg

VIC_6501 by vshingl, on Flickr

My favorite part was when all of the living aquarium screens were killed and they displayed concept art from Finding Nemo.

14255841936_5b50d60b8e_b.jpg

VIC_6502 by vshingl, on Flickr

14276912252_811e4c7022_b.jpgVIC_6503 by vshingl, on Flickr

I felt rather bad for these guys, as they were in all of my photos (as well as everyone else's) of the television screen both nights in Animator's Palate. I learned after the cruise that they were actually one of the families from our Fish Extender Group, and that they are the husband and father of Rachel H., a contributing author of The Adult Side of Disney. Be warned: if you sit with your back to a large television screen, people will be taking pictures, inevitably of you eating, or in this case, perhaps falling asleep at the table.

At the end of dinner, Tana came to ask us how he has been doing so far, and if there was anything we wanted to make sure we didn't miss the rest of the week. My mom asked about Key Lime Pie. He said that he would get us Key Lime Pie later that week. We also told him that we would be dining in Palo the next night, so we would not see him at Enchanted Garden. Too bad, because we were missing the Princess menu.

14278505864_15db7f9701_b.jpg

D Lounge by vshingl, on Flickr

My mom had noticed Disney Trivia on the Navigator in the D Lounge at 10:15. We all really wanted to play some Disney Trivia because we figured between the five of us, we covered a wide range of knowledge. Well... it wasn't really Disney Trivia. It was Family Fusion... "Bring the entire family and test your Disney knowledge in the high-tech interactive game show, Family Fusion." We felt weird actually getting up there to play because the entire room was filled with families that had children, and we had no children. We stayed to watch, and I suppose it's a good thing we didn't play because we would have dominated that game (partly because we're all adults). It was funny to watch others play though because children say the weirdest things, and most of the families had no idea what Disney characters they were comparing themselves to. It was strange.

14092347300_e09cc95fbe_b.jpg

Towel Animal by vshingl, on Flickr

We returned that night to another strange towel animal. Max exclaimed, "LOOK at our towel animal! What IS THIS? Here, take a picture of me.... wait, never mind. Bad idea."

14276912192_2baa0124f8_b.jpg

Palo Invitation by vshingl, on Flickr

And our Palo invitation.

Yes, my DH's picture made Deb's blog. Deb and Linda were at Palo's on Pirate night so we crashed their dinner so we could show them DH's pirate costume.

100_1184_zpsbd551cdc.jpg

Did you bring these costumes with you or does Disney supply them?

Oh yes! The Disney merchandising opportunities! I have one of those butter knives now...and use it regularly when I make cheese ball for company. It continues to get raves.

I have to agree on Animator's Palate. The Dream class version is a bit too overkill for me (I so love the Magic class version of AP). I also agree the concept art towards the end of the meal is the best part about the turtle talk show. Probably why I enjoy the Magic class version better...the artwork!