!!! HELP !!! - should we go for this Alaska Cruise?

bobnsofi

Hi All,

In our neck of the cruise woods (Mexican Riviera), Route/Days/Port Duration is SUPER IMPORTANT to us

We have been wanting to cruise Alaska for years, and have a deposit on the Norwegian Pearl 09/21/14

Other than the obvious=> Last Cruise of the Season => !!! FREEZING !!!

??? How do you all Alaska Pros like the cruise Route/Days/Port Duration below ???

??? Does the Norwegian Pearl have to Tender while others Pier ???

??? In the affordable range, what Ship do you all like this Season ???

!!! Thanks in Advance !!!

Pearl_zps0e181af1.jpg

Edited by bobnsofi

Shoulder season cruises to Alaska are our favorites. I like late Spring; wife likes late fall. Each has advantages, fewer ships and other tourists for one. The last cruise of the year for each cruise line's ship usually has lots of "specials" in the onboard shops; stores in towns also are packing up and discounting; after all, what they don't sell has to be stored until the next the year! (Some stores might already be closed) Stops and time look pretty standard. Just be prepared for inclement weather possibilities, using layering of clothing items. A mug of hot chocolate out on deck while watching a glacier calving is a terrific experience. Hope you enjoy the cruise immensely.

The Juneau port time is poor that late in the season - sunset is less than 5 hours after you arrive. Not a fan of Seattle departures - a subject discussed often here. With only 1 ship total in the 3 days before you arrive in Skagway, for example, some shops and excursions will have shut down for the season. Weather is always a wild card - I did the last sailing 3 years ago and had awesome weather, though you're better off expecting what you already expect.

To me the worst feature of late season cruises is the early sundown. You are basically giving up half the scenic cruising on your trip and for me that is the whole point in going. On the other hand I'm sailing mid June and will have at least twilight for almost all of my cruise. To me that is the most magical time to be out on deck watching the world go by.

We sailed on this itinerary on the Pearl in 2012 & loved every minute of it. The Pearl is a beautiful ship & we love the NCL freestyle. We had a balcony & loved sitting out watching the awesome scenery.

I wouldn't consider any Alaska cruise after the first week in Sept. Way too late in the season so you'll have short days and the possibility of a nasty fall storm with high winds and heavy rain. Even here in Seattle, late Sept can be 80 and sunny, or, 50 and rainy.

Check a web site to get the 'sunrise and sunset times' at each location.

If you're looking for a deal, look at the other shoulder month, MAY where there are longer days and a better chance of dry sunny weather.

Edited by mapleleaves

Go for it! It'll be pretty cool up there then. You'll just have to squeeze in all you can during the day light hours that remain then. We went in August and had a lot of wet overcast weather but it was still worth the trip!

I wouldn't consider any Alaska cruise after the first week in Sept. Way too late in the season so you'll have short days and the possibility of a nasty fall storm with high winds and heavy rain. Even here in Seattle, late Sept can be 80 and sunny, or, 50 and rainy.

Check a web site to get the 'sunrise and sunset times' at each location.

If you're looking for a deal, look at the other shoulder month, MAY where there are longer days and a better chance of dry sunny weather.

I wouldn't go that late in the season. I personally wouldn't worry about cold as cold doesn't scare me, more about awful storms.

I also would not cruise to Alaska in this time frame. I am not a risk-taker and this would be a big risk in terms of potential for bad weather and missed ports. A few years ago, I remember reading about very disappointed late September AK cruisers who didn't get to any ports due to weather. My vacation funds are too limited to risk not getting my money's worth.

!!! Thanks for all your Replies !!!

!!! EXTREMELY INFORMATIVE !!!

We did not think of the SHORT DAYLIGHT & SHUTTERED PORTS

and EPIC STORMY SEAS => !!! Shiver Me Timbers !!!

Maybe a better idea is to wait till the last moment to book this one

Benefit from some ??? ACCURATE REGIONAL WEATHER FORECASTING ???

!!! THANKS AGAIN... PRICELESS INFORMATION !!!

Maybe a better idea is to wait till the last moment to book this one

Benefit from some ??? ACCURATE REGIONAL WEATHER FORECASTING ???

There simply is no reliable weather forecasting for SE Alaska. It may be right for the next day but anything beyond that is as reliable as a guess.

I love going at that time of year...............the deciduous trees are changing color so the shore scenery is all the more beautiful (they're mixed in with the firs).

The ports aren't as crowded and the stores are selling things at huge percentages off................you can pick up Ch. gifts! Truly!

People come back to the ship with the red "Alaska Shirt Company" bags just stuffed full.

On one cruise, a couple of stores in Juneau had things marked 90% off..........so, if shopping is your "bag" it's a good time to shop.

You just can't predict the weather; last year in MAY we got sunburned in Fairbanks, at Denali and in Anchorage.............all before the cruise part of our trip! I'd never gone THAT early cuz I prefer fall............

Your days in port are much longer than some of the ships offer.if it's a good price, go for it.

Later in the season, they will have these last cruises marked WAY down.;)

To me the worst feature of late season cruises is the early sundown. You are basically giving up half the scenic cruising on your trip and for me that is the whole point in going. On the other hand I'm sailing mid June and will have at least twilight for almost all of my cruise. To me that is the most magical time to be out on deck watching the world go by.

Very true statement. We did the last cruise of the season in Sept and the first one this year (first week of May). The biggest difference is the amount of daylight. We saw ALOT more in May, including whales right from our dining table!

Only negative was that ice in Glacier Bay prevented us from getting close to the main glacier there. We have seen it before, so not big deal for us, but it would have been a huge disappointment for a first time AK cruiser!

DaveOKC

We did all three of our Alaskan cruises either the next to last or the last ones in September. We really didn't have any complaints about any of the trips. We knew what to expect from the weather (our god daughter lives in Anchorage and she had warned us ahead of time) and packed and dressed accordingly. There are plenty of tips all over CC to cover that issue.

Our only regret came from the last cruise (ms Amsterdam - Sept 2012 - 14 days) and we didn't get to go to the last two ports. A storm moved in earlier than expected and the Captain did not want to put the ship and passengers in harm's way so we bypassed Kodiak and Homer. We did manage to out run the storm and did get an added bonus. That cruise had already cruised Tracy Arm and because several ships missed Glacier Bay, we were given their pass to cruise there. The day was beautiful and we got up close and personal with several of the glaciers.

This year we are cruising in June because we are doing the Land/Sea cruise and want to be able to spend our 40th wedding anniversary in Glacier Bay.

We both look at it this way - no matter what the weather - we aren't going to let it ruin our cruise. Any day cruising is better than being a day anywhere else. I WOULD GO FOR IT - ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time on your trip.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946

We both look at it this way - no matter what the weather - we aren't going to let it ruin our cruise. Any day cruising is better than being a day anywhere else. I WOULD GO FOR IT - ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time on your trip.

Okie

For someone who cruises often, I fully understand your point of view. However, I will not forget reading about the many disappointed cruisers who came great distances from other countries to tour in AK in late September. When they did not get to any ports or missed several, they truly felt shortchanged. Flights were expensive and this was their once in a lifetime trip. Just like I would not cruise the Caribbean during Hurricane Season, I would not cruise AK in late September.