Breakaway Bermuda May 11

FLbeachbaby

Just a few tidbits about our cruise to Bermuda. I will only list the positives as I tire of the cranky people and their complaints.

Gorgeous ship-the decor is by far the best we have seen in seven NCL cruises.

Our Haven 2 bedroom suite was a blessing in many ways. The room was fantastic but being able to get away from the masses was a big plus. Haven restaurant and all personnel involved were lovely.

Best entertainment we have encountered on a ship-saw Rock of Ages, Burn the floor, Second City, comedy Magician.

Lots of outdoor activities-ropes course fun, mini golf, jogging track each day, adult pool, nice outdoor entertainment.

Loved, loved, loved Bermuda! Transportation passes made discovering this island easy. We basically saw the whole island by land and sea. Many people stated they didn't go here or there, water was too cold etc. Yes the water was chilly but we snorkeled every beach and warmed up on the rocks later.

TIPS-Take a bus and get off when and where you want, then get the ferry back for faster transport. At school closing times buses can get very crowded so plan accordingly. Try some local eateries where residents frequent. Get off the beaten path and explore. Having done Hawaii several times this could be my new favorite destination as it's easily accessible from the east coast.

Would you mind telling me what the dress code was like in the Haven restaurant, especially at dinner? I am assuming shorts are ok for the daytime meals, but what about the dinner hour? I like to wear neat capris and my husband will be in dockers and a collared golf type shirt for the evening, no suit jacket, etc. Will this be ok?

thank you for posting your review!

J

Concierge was Adrian and we loved him. There are many Butlers so don't know who you will have. They switch from day to night and room to room as well. Ours, Lanie was excellent as well as was room steward.

Dress was surprisingly casual throughout the ship. Haven is no different, could probably even wear shorts. We ate mostly specialty and dressed accordingly.

No Dailies, too much paper. easy to plan once onboard. Don't stress.

Not sure of the meaning of the question regarding "Haven onboard process"

Thanks for the "tidbits". We've done Bermuda in the past and agree with your comments about the island. I too, tire of the complaints of people typically in the lower cabin categories complaining about so many things....

Just a few tidbits about our cruise to Bermuda. I will only list the positives as I tire of the cranky people and their complaints.

Our Haven 2 bedroom suite was a blessing in many ways. The room was fantastic but being able to get away from the masses was a big plus. Haven restaurant and all personnel involved were lovely.

Best entertainment we have encountered on a ship-saw Rock of Ages, Burn the floor, Second City, comedy Magician.

Lots of outdoor activities-ropes course fun, mini golf, jogging track each day, adult pool, nice outdoor entertainment.

Loved, loved, loved Bermuda! Transportation passes made discovering this island easy. We basically saw the whole island by land and sea. Many people stated they didn't go here or there, water was too cold etc. Yes the water was chilly but we snorkeled every beach and warmed up on the rocks later.

TIPS-Take a bus and get off when and where you want, then get the ferry back for faster transport. At school closing times buses can get very crowded so plan accordingly. Try some local eateries where residents frequent. Get off the beaten path and explore. Having done Hawaii several times this could be my new favorite destination as it's easily accessible from the east coast.

Many questions...hope you don't mind. Woud two couples (sans children) feel out of place during summer months. How fast do the specialty restaurants fill up? Which are the best? Sorry, I'll stop there...for now. :)

Thanks for the "tidbits". We've done Bermuda in the past and agree with your comments about the island. I too, tire of the complaints of people typically in the lower cabin categories complaining about so many things....

I cruise in the cabin category that I can most afford at the time and in 10 days I'll be sailing in an inside cabin to Bermuda for our 25th wedding anniversary. I have to say that in our last 5 cruises since 2010, I've had little or nothing to complain about....I'm on vacation and take it all in stride!!!

Thanks for the "positives"! I too, tire of all of the complaining. Of course something won't be exactly what you would prefer. Don't we all deal with that every day at home? I love Bermuda and are taking the Breakaway soon too!

Momforlife,

Are you on the June 1st sailing? Since you said 10 days, I figured that it must be. If so, we'll also be on that sailing for our 25th anniversary! We got married on June 3rd.

I find your screenname ironic given the tone of your post, and I have to respectfully disagree. I often find that it is those in the higher cabin categories that complain about everything, and somehow think the world revolves around them.

To be fair - regardless of cabin category - some people just don't seem to be able to just "sit back, relax, and enjoy life."

Food is so subjective that I really don't want to get into it. We didn't do any complimentary restaurants so I can't comment about them, but the menus didn't excite us. Cagneys and Bistro do not disappoint. Teppanyaki was a bit off and very salty, Cirque meal was good, dessert not so much. In fact desserts that were really good were hard to come by. What was most difficult was planning the meal to be able to get to the show on time. And yes, it's a big ship full of people.

Weather was a bit cool for a Floridian. It is a leisurely motor to Bermuda but more of a steam back so you notice the seas more. Obviously the weather will warm as will the water temps.

Thanks for the "positives"! I too, tire of all of the complaining. Of course something won't be exactly what you would prefer. Don't we all deal with that every day at home? I love Bermuda and are taking the Breakaway soon too!

Momforlife,

Are you on the June 1st sailing? Since you said 10 days, I figured that it must be. If so, we'll also be on that sailing for our 25th anniversary! We got married on June 3rd.

We're on the May 30-June 6 sailing...Boston-Bermuda:)

I would be ineterested in hearing your reviews of the different restaurants. Which were good, which were not so good?

We were on this same sailing and had the UDP so took advantage of it and only dined at the specialty restaurants...

Cirque dinner and show - included with the UDP, the show was fantastic. Food was good but not spectacular...3 course meal: salad which was ok, surf and turf (steak and shrimp) steak was good, dessert was nothing special. Many people didn't even eat but just watched the show.

Teppanyaki (2x) - 1st time was excellent...food was great, chef was very entertaining and had a great table of people. 2nd time out, the chef seemed a little confused with the orders and not as funny.

Cagneys (2x) - both nights we found the steaks/food to be consistent and delicious. Service was excellent and one night we ate outside. Very enjoyable with the calm seas and no wind...what a way to enjoy a fantastic dinner. One of our favorite restaurants.

Le Bistro - very enjoyable...always a good choice. Escargot was tasty but a little buttery. Have never had a bad meal here. Creme brûlée is the best and the kids enjoyed the fruit chocolate fondue.

Moderno - we've had Brazilian near home and love it. Didn't really like it on the ship...service seemed a little slow and there wasn't much variety in meat selection. Beef/chicken was a little bland and dry. Lamb chops was very good though. Desserts were ok.

We did not do La Cucina this trip. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either Cagney's and Le Bistro.:)

We were on this same sailing and had the UDP so took advantage of it and only dined at the specialty restaurants...

Cirque dinner and show - included with the UDP, the show was fantastic. Food was good but not spectacular...3 course meal: salad which was ok, surf and turf (steak and shrimp) steak was good, dessert was nothing special. Many people didn't even eat but just watched the show.

Teppanyaki (2x) - 1st time was excellent...food was great, chef was very entertaining and had a great table of people. 2nd time out, the chef seemed a little confused with the orders and not as funny.

Cagneys (2x) - both nights we found the steaks/food to be consistent and delicious. Service was excellent and one night we ate outside. Very enjoyable with the calm seas and no wind...what a way to enjoy a fantastic dinner. One of our favorite restaurants.

Le Bistro - very enjoyable...always a good choice. Escargot was tasty but a little buttery. Have never had a bad meal here. Creme brûlée is the best and the kids enjoyed the fruit chocolate fondue.

Moderno - we've had Brazilian near home and love it. Didn't really like it on the ship...service seemed a little slow and there wasn't much variety in meat selection. Beef/chicken was a little bland and dry. Lamb chops was very good though. Desserts were ok.

We did not do La Cucina this trip. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either Cagney's and Le Bistro.:)

Thanks for these reviews, and thanks to the OP!

PiratePrincess; FYI, the username came from having three loving bulldogs that I get a chuckle out of every day. Didn't mean to have a "tone" in my post, it was simply an observation from reading tons of posts. Sometimes thoughts written come across differently than they do when spoken.

Sounds like you had a great trip! I am interested to know how the weather and seas were during your cruise.

The weather was very nice...low-mid 70's all week, mix of sun and clouds most of the week.

Sailing down...both days the sea was very calm. The sail back on Saturday had some rain and rougher seas...definitely could feel the ship rocking!

Breakaway and Bermuda brings me great memories.:);):). I agree 100% with the positives tidbits. As you say " loved, loved, loved Bermuda.