Noordam vs. Volendam for Alaska 2015?

optimista

Hi all,

We are looking at booking our very first cruise in 2015, a much-anticipated trip to Alaska. I've read through the forums ad nauseum for about two days, and have managed to at least figure out that we want to do a round-trip Vancouver cruise. We are locked into HAL because my parents (who are joining us) have some HAL credit they need to use (they actually have some cruise experience, but not in Alaska).

I'm torn between the Volendam and the Noordam. The itineraries are identical - only difference being that the Volendam does mid-week departures, which is not a problem for us.

About us:

I'm in my mid-40s, hubby is in his early 50s. My parents are in their early-to-mid 70s. Nobody has any mobility issues. All of us are into food. None of us are at all into a "party" scene and would just as soon have a more quieter/relaxing experience, though some activities to make sure my dad is sufficiently entertained would be helpful.

For those of you in the know, would you recommend booking the Noordam or the Volendam?

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide!

Edited by optimista

My husband and I took our first cruise on the Volendam to Alaska and it got us hooked on cruising!

We were in our 40s then (50s now) and have sailed HAL since.

We enjoyed the Volendam itinerary since it does leave Vancouver midweek, and we were the only ship in port some times. Glacier Bay was wonderful.

We flew to Vancouver a few days before the cruise so that we could explore that beautiful city.

Have a great cruise!