How to use the shuttle bus to get to Edinburgh

This is fantastic information for our future cruise leaving out of Edinburgh. We are planning on arriving at least 2 days before the cruise.

I have bookmarked your information since we enjoy fine dining & tasting menus.

If you're leaving from Edinburgh, Leith will be your port and there are 2 excellent restaurants there too. Firstly there's The Kitchin is a favourite of ours and also Martin Wishart.

If you're leaving from Edinburgh, Leith will be your port and there are 2 excellent restaurants there too. Firstly there's The Kitchin is a favourite of ours and also Martin Wishart.

Thank you for the information. Both of these look fantastic.

• 4 months later...
I see that the last post was from August 2017. Just wondered if anyone knew if this shuttle would be operating in May 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't had a 2018 briefing yet but the shuttle bus is run by a private operator who probably depends on it now for a substantial chunk of his earnings so I'm pretty sure it will be running again. When I know for sure, I'll update the thread.

Hi everyone, happy new year!!

This post has been so very helpful.

We will be tendering at Newhaven overnight this August. We are planning on using the HOHO to get us to the Royal Mile, and then back to the ship the next day.

What I have read on this post and what I am seeing on the website, the Majestic Tour HOHO has a stop at Newhaven and at Leith Cruise Terminal. This is where the Britannica is berthed. I have read that it is a short, 10 minute walk from the Newhaven area where we tender, to the Britannica, but is there any reason we could not get the HOHO at Newhaven, and then get off at the next stop, at Leith Cruise Terminal to visit the Britannica?

Thanks again for all you help.

We haven't had a 2018 briefing yet but the shuttle bus is run by a private operator who probably depends on it now for a substantial chunk of his earnings so I'm pretty sure it will be running again. When I know for sure, I'll update the thread.

Will be in Edinburgh June 2018 and am interested in any advice for getting to Edinburgh from South Queensferry (Princess Cruise) after tendering.

From reading it appears there is a walk to some stairs and then getting a train to Edinburgh. Sounds like there is also a shuttle? Very interested in options as we are DIYing this stop.

Thanks

Sandi

• 1 month later...

Tartan Exile. Any update. Do you know the name of the Shuttle service? Seems they woulddo really well on port days as there will be a lot of Do it Yourselfers and Taxis are running 35 L I hear. We are coming in on Royal Caribbean and I see no offer from them for a shuttle.

• 4 weeks later...

tartanexile81 - thank you for this post about the shuttle with photos. I had seen your awesome thread about the train/with photos but hadn’t seen this one about the shuttle bus. In fact I had just seen your new 2018 thread about this years shuttle and I asked a question there. It is going to take me a bit to read these posts but I will read them.

I am so sorry some folks feel the need to use your threads to post about problems out of your control. Maybe those folks need to start a new thread voicing their concerns?

Thank you again for all that you do for fellow cruisers. You are SO appreciated.

tartanexile81 - thank you for this post about the shuttle with photos. I had seen your awesome thread about the train/with photos but hadn’t seen this one about the shuttle bus. In fact I had just seen your new 2018 thread about this years shuttle and I asked a question there. It is going to take me a bit to read these posts but I will read them.

I am so sorry some folks feel the need to use your threads to post about problems out of your control. Maybe those folks need to start a new thread voicing their concerns?

Thank you again for all that you do for fellow cruisers. You are SO appreciated.

Thank you very much for your kind comments beachdreaming.

The new shuttle will drop off at a different place and I am going to the city centre this afternoon to take photos to add to the new thread. Check it out in a a few days when I have updated it. All the local volunteers feel very confident that the new shuttle will be a big success. Even the size of the buses will ensure less waiting time.

TartanExile- you are to be congratulated for all your work. Here's a question I haven't found the easy answer to yet (We are on the BOTS coming to Queensferry 6/23 7am to 6pm (not a lot of time considering tendering and 45 minute drive to Edinburgh.

Because we want to see the inside of Edinburgh Castle (which is up the hill) and walk down the Royal Mile, I'd like to ask:

1 Should we get tix for the Castle on line a few weeks before? (we are on the Baltic cruise starting on 6/9). My thought was to shoot for 11am. Then we could buy the 9# return ticket and take the local bus from where shuttles leaves off to the Castle and rthen walk down Royal Mile and maybe see Parliment Bldg and then take the shuttle back at say 4pm to get us to the ship by 5pm or so with 5:30 On Board. We'd consider the ticket for 20# that would allow us to take ONE fiull loop - on one of them and continue again until we get to the castle. Then see castle and walk down the Royal Mile. The problem there is with timed tickets. If we want castle and royal mile then I can't see how we will be able to use HOHO to take another rout or get off.

I think the real test of the shuttle from and to the ship is to know what is the LATEST time you would have to be at the shuttle departure point to be CERTAIN you would be at the tender port by 5pm at the latest (assuming others are doing it too).

I hope others who are sailing in May will return here and post their experiences. And thank you for your advice on my projected plans outlined above.

• 4 weeks later...