Price increase- Which do you prefer?

Mom33

Apparently you missed the point of the OP . It was to express your choice of an across the board price increase over the nickel and dime process.

We expressed our opinion along with the rationale.

We much prefer Princess raising the price of the cruise across the board for all categories of cabins. Those in the lower priced cabins already reap the same benefit as those who pay more for higher priced cabins.

A full suite generally cost 4 to 6 times cost of an inside cabin, yet Princess basically provides exactly the same benefits. A mini-suite generally runs about 3 times the cost of an inside cabin.

Currently the those who fill the higher cost cabins subsidize the services and venues of those who choose inside and obstructed view cabins.

Sure we get breakfast at Sabatinis and an extra mini-bar set up in a full suite, but little else that those in the inside cabins do not get. Elites get the same benefits whether in the least costly or most costly cabin.

It may not be a popular solution, but it would be a lot more democratic (small d) to share the costs across the board.

Just our opinion

Doing it this way would also penalize the solo cruiser... I go with an inside cabin, paying close to 170% as it is.

Princess has had pizzerias on their ships for many years. I believe the original Crown and Regal had it. The Sun Class (Sun, Dawn, Sea) ships also had pizzerias that had Calzones, Pasta (I remember lasagna) and Salads with it also. There was never a price to visit these venues. This is not a new concept for Princess. Though, those who have only sailed the Grand class ships think this is new.

There is no way going to Alfredos would be worth $10. Sorry - I don't drink and if they include wine with it, it is not going to appeal to me.

Princess is very behind in room service compared to other cruise lines. Many lines allow for a full menu or a much expanded menu. Princess has always indicated that the daily gratuity charge covers room service, so I doubt this is the issue. I always tip anyway.

Princess and the other lines are trying to make the cruising experience fit each customer with choices to make.

The only other line I have been on was Disney. Beverages, soda and such, are unlimited and included in the price. The balcony room we had was nicer than Princess however it was a bit more costly. The bed was better too. I felt we got what we paid for and totally became hooked on cruising.

I have not used room service yet and most likely will not. With that being stated I would say that an automated tip, not a service charge, depending on the order should be applied. Automated tip is on a beverage, why not room service? Honestly, I was impressed by the fact that room service was free except for pizza and I thought who ever did the room service must of been included in the automated tipping. From what I have read..no it is not. Then automated tipping should be included. It is an extra service.

One size does not fit all otherwise there would be no options available. To me, these charges are reasonable compared to some of the other options such as The Sanctuary going up in price. I chose not to do it because I feel that its not something I really need to enjoy my cruising experience and can surely find a place to relax that isn't an upcharge. My choice.

This new charge is going to be announced, they have had all the Regal room service paper work amended to show the $3 charge so it's just a matter of when they announce it.

I'm happy to pay extra as and when I use room service etc like cover fees for other venues, as long as I know what's complimentary/not when I book, amending benefits after people have booked stinks.

Yes I agree. They did not inform cruisers properly of the charges. Just springing those charges on people after the cruise began was stupid.

Yes, a full suite is larger. But just what other "extras" are there? As Elite we get virtually all the suite benefits anyway. It is the high cost cabins that now subsidize the lower -- not the other way around.

We all eat at the same venues or choose to pay to eat at specialty restaurants. We all get our hamburgers or pizza at the same place. We all can eat at the Horizon Court. We all can attend exactly the same entertainment venues. We all pay the same amount for wine and booze. Etc.

Let's be a bit more realistic.

If you don't think the extra benefits are worth the extra price of a suite, why pay for a suite. You can get nearly all the same benefits except size of room for a lot less money. Obviously you think the suite benefits are worth it or you would not pay for a suite.

Yes, a full suite is larger. But just what other "extras" are there? As Elite we get virtually all the suite benefits anyway. It is the high cost cabins that now subsidize the lower -- not the other way around.

We all eat at the same venues or choose to pay to eat at specialty restaurants. We all get our hamburgers or pizza at the same place. We all can eat at the Horizon Court. We all can attend exactly the same entertainment venues. We all pay the same amount for wine and booze. Etc.

Based on these comments, it sounds like you would prefer the old "class" system of cruising ala Titanic. I don't see a separation of classes on one ship, however there are other lines that will give you the rarefied atmosphere you wish.

How far down this road should Princess go? Breakfast ? lunch? dinner? entertainment? pools ? ports? MUTS ?, trivia?. They need to raise revenue to continue in business. This talk of paying for what you use would only serve to reduce the revenue. Who would go to the shows if they had to pay for them? not enough to pay for itself I imagine. same for alot of things we take for granted. Look at Celebrity and their speciality restaurants - $50 and still empty as people decide the MDR is ok after all. Princess rely on those people who dont use things much to make up for those that do. Suite guests are the driving force behind extra revenue, but they can only go so far - it relies on the masses. PAYG is fine as long as there are enough doing it, otherwise it will outprice itself and produce little or no revenue at all. All this talk of "I wont use this or that if I have to pay for it, says it all. Unless pax want a standard land hotel experience but with the added cost of fuel and everything as an extra, then adding to the base price is the only way to stay afloat - literally. Adding just 5% ($50 per $1000) to prices across the board would stop all this nickel and diming and bring back the revenue for the cruiselines to previous years, and give us all the cruise experience we yearn for.

JMO :)

I agree the pizza up by the pool is much better

OTOH, my wife and I both think the Alfredo's pizza is better than the poolside pizza. Is it $10 better. I don't think so. Is it $10 better including a glass of wine? Maybe.That's something we'll have to decide the next time we have an Alfredo's available.

Edited by AZJerry

How about a third choice?

Eliminate Alfredo's. Pizza can be found out by the pool. Is it really necessary to have a pizza parlor inside the ship? We survived just fine without Alfredo's. If it a revenue loser, eliminate it.

OTOH, my wife and I both think the Alfredo's pizza is better than the poolside pizza. Is it $10 better. I don't think so. Is it $10 better including a glass of wine? Maybe.That's something we'll have to decide the next time we have an Alfredo's available.

I agree! Alfredo's is a gourmet type pizza and the pool stuff is Hungry Howies!:eek:

How far down this road should Princess go? Breakfast ? lunch? dinner? entertainment? pools ? ports? MUTS ?, trivia?. They need to raise revenue to continue in business. This talk of paying for what you use would only serve to reduce the revenue. Who would go to the shows if they had to pay for them? not enough to pay for itself I imagine. same for alot of things we take for granted. Look at Celebrity and their speciality restaurants - $50 and still empty as people decide the MDR is ok after all. Princess rely on those people who dont use things much to make up for those that do. Suite guests are the driving force behind extra revenue, but they can only go so far - it relies on the masses. PAYG is fine as long as there are enough doing it, otherwise it will outprice itself and produce little or no revenue at all. All this talk of "I wont use this or that if I have to pay for it, says it all. Unless pax want a standard land hotel experience but with the added cost of fuel and everything as an extra, then adding to the base price is the only way to stay afloat - literally. Adding just 5% ($50 per $1000) to prices across the board would stop all this nickel and diming and bring back the revenue for the cruiselines to previous years, and give us all the cruise experience we yearn for.

JMO :)

It is refreshing to see logic used to support a position -- on either side. Those who resort to ad hominem arguments add nothing to the discussion.

JMO, of course

I don't think you understand. The extra space IS the benefit. On my sailing, an inside is $ 999 and a suite starts at $ 3099 - basically three times the price of an inside. But the size of a suite is 470 sf versus 156 for an inside - basically three times the space. In other words, two people in a suite are occupying a space that could otherwise hold 6 (and generate the same amount of revenue.) There is only a finite amount of space on any given ship. Someone has to pay for it. Same reason solos usually get "stuck" with paying double.

I would prefer if I had a choice that charge for room service and Alfredo's would be reinstated but in a more professional way than it was and the reason is having done 30+ cruises I have never used room service once and dont think those that dont want to or those that dont like pizza should be charged extra in their cruise price just so those that do can have it for free.

Hi There

The production shows cost a lot since l can enjoy a cruise without them does this mean l can get a refund you have to pay ashore to watch a show so why not onboard.

Or may be by charging everyone a little more we all get a wide range of free things.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Please no fare increase, we sail inside cabins just to have a vacation. And at best only get to cruise about every 3 years. I am happy with the dining room and the HC and the slice pizza. Some land vacations have even not been on venue any time soon

I have read the comments since Princess announced the short lived charges for Alfredo's. ($10pp) and $3 stateroom delivery fee. There seems to be those who prefer to have Princess institute fees for every amenity on board and those who prefer many of the amenities be included in the base fare. Some of the amenities currently included in the base fare are: high tea, entertainment, the fitness center, the IC, Alfredo's & stateroom delivery. These examples, and there are others, are currently complimentary and are available to all passengers. Each of them has a cost. Should the cost be borne by those who use the amenity having to pay a fee each time? Or should these amenities be included in the base fare? There is no right or wrong, it's just the type of cruise experience.

Of course the preference is for no increases in prices anywhere but I don't know that it can be that way. So if increases are needed, then I would rather the cruise line deliver a quality base product and then provide extra for extra charges.

I have read the comments since Princess announced the short lived charges for Alfredo's. ($10pp) and $3 stateroom delivery fee. There seems to be those who prefer to have Princess institute fees for every amenity on board and those who prefer many of the amenities be included in the base fare. Some of the amenities currently included in the base fare are: high tea, entertainment, the fitness center, the IC, Alfredo's & stateroom delivery. These examples, and there are others, are currently complimentary and are available to all passengers. Each of them has a cost. Should the cost be borne by those who use the amenity having to pay a fee each time? Or should these amenities be included in the base fare? There is no right or wrong, it's just the type of cruise experience.

Well if they keep adding charges, what we will end up with is "3 hots and a cot." If this is the way they are going, then the cost of the cruise should go down.

I would prefer what gives us quality all around. I would like to eat in the buffet and not get inferior food; similarly, I want the MDR to be good as well (last cruise: MDR was good, buffet was hit and miss... and for some odd reason, completely out of character, the IC was hit and miss -- more for less varied selection than past cruises).

If they are going to focus on better quality food in only the specialty/extra cost venues and let the people in the "included in fare" venues eat (fill in your choice of word), then I would prefer to pay more in the fare and know that I can eat practically anywhere on the ship and get an edible meal.

I do agree that perhaps charging a service fee for after hours rooms service might make sense, but keep it fee-free perhaps 6 a.m to 10 pm.

Whatever they do, please don't mess with the pizza by the pool. It is really good now and don't mess with it and don't charge for it (we've never been on a ship with Alfredos, so can't speak to that venue, but we would not pay $40 for 4 people to eat pizza!).

Charging for the drink mixer is really absurd, if that is true... really cheesy and scraping the barrel. As for the sodas and and mocktails extra: that's ok with us as long as they keep the price reasonable. We buy the soda card -- keeps soda consumption in check as well. Ok to charge for fancy coffee drinks, too, but I think drinkable ol' Caffe Americano (key word -- "drinkable"...not their syrup) and hot chocolate should be included in the fare.

If they keep going the way of the airlines, pretty soon we'll be paying extra for blankets and pillows.

I would prefer what gives us quality all around. I would like to eat in the buffet and not get inferior food; similarly, I want the MDR to be good as well (last cruise: MDR was good, buffet was hit and miss... and for some odd reason, completely out of character, the IC was hit and miss -- more for less varied selection than past cruises).

If they are going to focus on better quality food in only the specialty/extra cost venues and let the people in the "included in fare" venues eat (fill in your choice of word), then I would prefer to pay more in the fare and know that I can eat practically anywhere on the ship and get an edible meal.

I do agree that perhaps charging a service fee for after hours rooms service might make sense, but keep it fee-free perhaps 6 a.m to 10 pm.

Whatever they do, please don't mess with the pizza by the pool. It is really good now and don't mess with it and don't charge for it (we've never been on a ship with Alfredos, so can't speak to that venue, but we would not pay $40 for 4 people to eat pizza!).

Charging for the drink mixer is really absurd, if that is true... really cheesy and scraping the barrel. As for the sodas and and mocktails extra: that's ok with us as long as they keep the price reasonable. We buy the soda card -- keeps soda consumption in check as well. Ok to charge for fancy coffee drinks, too, but I think drinkable ol' Caffe Americano (key word -- "drinkable"...not their syrup) and hot chocolate should be included in the fare.

If they keep going the way of the airlines, pretty soon we'll be paying extra for blankets and pillows.

They aren't charging for the pizza on Lido. The discussion was about Alfredos restaurant.

We much prefer Princess raising the price of the cruise across the board for all categories of cabins. Those in the lower priced cabins already reap the same benefit as those who pay more for higher priced cabins.

A full suite generally cost 4 to 6 times cost of an inside cabin, yet Princess basically provides exactly the same benefits. A mini-suite generally runs about 3 times the cost of an inside cabin.

Currently the those who fill the higher cost cabins subsidize the services and venues of those who choose inside and obstructed view cabins.

Sure we get breakfast at Sabatinis and an extra mini-bar set up in a full suite, but little else that those in the inside cabins do not get. Elites get the same benefits whether in the least costly or most costly cabin.

It may not be a popular solution, but it would be a lot more democratic (small d) to share the costs across the board.

Just our opinion

I suggest you book yourself into an inside cabin and save yourself 4/6 times to price, because as you said they get exactly the same benefits.........never read so much twaddle in all my life.

How far down this road should Princess go? Breakfast ? lunch? dinner? entertainment? pools ? ports? MUTS ?, trivia?...

Exactly. I'm guessing that the cruise lines are taking a page from the airline and hotel play books and are testing the waters to see what they can get away with via nickel-and-diming. Once we are used to that, then they'll raise fares on top of it, unless there is enough of a consumer pushback.

I realize the cruise lines need to make a profit. I just hate to see the nickel-and-diming as I feel it takes away some of what made cruising special, and brings it more into the realm of a land-based vacation.