Price increase- Which do you prefer?

Mom33

I never use room service as Princess does a very good job with offering food around the ship at all times of the day whether it be in the buffet or poolside. Other lines like Celebrity it has been my experience that you are forced to order room service after 2:00pm as they have very limited selections between 2 and 5. I would be more upset if they started to charge. As far as Alfredo's is concerned, well with all the rave reviews, even Helen Keller, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see an up charge coming. I don't know why everyone is surprised. I would rather the up charge than increase in fare.

We use Room Service every morning for breakfast because we like peace and quiet in the morning, buffet too noisy for us. We always tip - can't imagine not tipping.

For us, charging for Room Service would be a non issue because we already tip. I do doubt though that Princess is concerned about delivery folks not being tipped. If they charge we would not tip again.

We much prefer Princess raising the price of the cruise across the board for all categories of cabins. Those in the lower priced cabins already reap the same benefit as those who pay more for higher priced cabins.

A full suite generally cost 4 to 6 times cost of an inside cabin, yet Princess basically provides exactly the same benefits. A mini-suite generally runs about 3 times the cost of an inside cabin.

Currently the those who fill the higher cost cabins subsidize the services and venues of those who choose inside and obstructed view cabins.

Sure we get breakfast at Sabatinis and an extra mini-bar set up in a full suite, but little else that those in the inside cabins do not get. Elites get the same benefits whether in the least costly or most costly cabin.

It may not be a popular solution, but it would be a lot more democratic (small d) to share the costs across the board.

Just our opinion

There must be some benefit to booking a suite or else you would just book an interior.

As far as Alfredo's is concerned, well with all the rave reviews, even Helen Keller, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see an up charge coming. I don't know why everyone is surprised. I would rather the up charge than increase in fare.

Why should there be an upcharge there?

If I do not eat there, I will eat other Princess food that would still be included in the base fare. Princess would not be saving any money if passengers use food and personnel elsewhere.

Please no increase in the cruise fare!!!! If people use room service or want to eat at Alfredo's let them make that choice knowing there is a fee. I rarely use room service and not big on pizza, so why should I pay more..JMO!!

Same logic applies to other things that many people do not use. Hot tubs. MUTS. Princess Theater shows. and more.

I have to agree. Always have charges crystal clear and let customers decide what they want.

No 'all inclusive', that just makes folk pay for what they don't want. Just sell basic cabins, make a clear list of 'charged' items and the fees, and let people decide.

Right. If I do not use the elevators, why should I have the cost of them in my fare?

If I do not eat there, I will eat other Princess food that would still be included in the base fare. Princess would not be saving any money if passengers use food and personnel elsewhere.

Same logic applies to other things that many people do not use. Hot tubs. MUTS. Princess Theater shows. and more.

That's so true...what's important to some passengers is unnecessary to other passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's so true...what's important to some passengers is unnecessary to other passengers.

Of course somethings are more easily charged for then others do to ship design, base facilities, etc. In another 10 years most others will be charged for.

Already you have pay for view TV on some lines, some shows are charged for on Carnival, RCL and NCL. you have privates lounge areas like sanctuary. Some items are added charge in the MDR on some lines. NCL and RCL are moving the most agressively, but the others are following.

Right. If I do not use the elevators, why should I have the cost of them in my fare?

Some comparisons make sense some are just plain silly.

Added fees are here to stay and will increase. If you don't like them there are a number of all inclusive lines that charge about what the main stream cruise lines did 20 years ago adjusted for inflation. Even there you are starting to get some changes.

We much prefer Princess raising the price of the cruise across the board for all categories of cabins. Those in the lower priced cabins already reap the same benefit as those who pay more for higher priced cabins.

A full suite generally cost 4 to 6 times cost of an inside cabin, yet Princess basically provides exactly the same benefits. A mini-suite generally runs about 3 times the cost of an inside cabin.

Currently the those who fill the higher cost cabins subsidize the services and venues of those who choose inside and obstructed view cabins.

Sure we get breakfast at Sabatinis and an extra mini-bar set up in a full suite, but little else that those in the inside cabins do not get. Elites get the same benefits whether in the least costly or most costly cabin.

It may not be a popular solution, but it would be a lot more democratic (small d) to share the costs across the board.

Just our opinion

Those that can afford suites and and mini suites are very fortunate.

Would like you to give a break down on how you think higher priced cabins subsidize inside ones?

I hate inside cabins but its either that or no cruise and would love to be able to travel first class in a suite.

Just my very personal opinion.:)

Thank you so much for subsidizing my little teeny weeny balcony cabin. If it weren't for the generous people in suites who book their superior cabins, who knows where the rest of us would be? Oh, wait, I see you mentioned just inside and obstructed view cabins. So I guess that means that I, in my teeny weeny balcony cabin that isn't even aft or on Caribe deck, am helping to subsidize the "services and venues" consumed by those curious folks in those little substandard ("ew") cabins. You'd think they'd be more grateful. :p So, let me see if I have this right: "higher cost cabins" subsidize the lower cost cabins which means you subsidize me and I subsidize them. It all makes perfect sense. Except that it doesn't.

Edited by shredie

Please no increase in the cruise fare!!!! If people use room service or want to eat at Alfredo's let them make that choice knowing there is a fee. I rarely use room service and not big on pizza, so why should I pay more..JMO!!
I would vote for that. If there has to be an increase then let those who use the service / specialty venue pay a reasonable charge.

BW that's the way Alfredo's started in the 1990's, with an added cost for some very good pizza with a great variety of toppings.

However keep the free pizza on deck (most ships) as that is a revenue generator for the drinks purchased to accompany it.

Thank you so much for subsidizing my little teeny weeny balcony cabin. If it weren't for the generous people in suites who book their superior cabins, who knows where the rest of us would be? Oh, wait, I see you mentioned just inside and obstructed view cabins. So I guess that means that I, in my teeny weeny balcony cabin that isn't even aft or on Caribe deck, am helping to subsidize the "services and venues" consumed by those curious folks in those little substandard ("ew") cabins. You'd think they'd be more grateful. :p So, let me see if I have this right: "higher cost cabins" subsidize the lower cost cabins which means you subsidize me and I subsidize them. It all makes perfect sense. Except that it doesn't.

I'm afraid it does make sense. Your teeny weeny balcony cabin costs maybe double an inside cabin, yet the costs in keeping you in there are the same - same food - same staff - same everything else. The price of your balcony has increased in price quicker than the insides - this is so the lines can advertise a low base price. so you are subsidizing that low price.

Prices inevitably go up so why shouldnt an inside cabin pay their fair share of any price increase? same food-same staff etc. The fact is that the higher up you go in cabins the more you are paying and the lower you go, the less you pay - that can only be done with the higher cabins paying more than their fair share. They, like you, are prepared to do that for the extra room or in your case, the balcony. So subsidizing goes on whether you like it or not. This is not a suite vs inside class debate. Its about Princess trying to get more revenue, which has to come from somewhere. So where do you suggest they get it from ? You can only squeeze so much from nickel and diming - the end result can be that no-one uses it and the revenue drops, which leaves only the base fare.

The issue with a move to micro payments for everything is it takes away the conveneince of cruising.

I like the way loads is included Ok I don't use everything but I use enough to get my value out of the fare I paid.

I can't be everywhere at once I can only eat so much I can only watch one thing at a time or engage in one activity.

A model that Costa is using is the standard fare and the premium fare.

Premium cost more and adds features

---------

Premium Cabins occupy a privileged position on the higher decks of the ship and offer some delightful treats, including free continental breakfast on request, served in your cabin, free cabin service (24-hour Room Service) and the option to make a dinner reservation for the restaurant.

Furthermore, by booking a Premium Cabin you will benefit from a 10% discount on your next cruise, which must be taken within the following 2 years.

A special benefit for CostaClub members: choose a Premium Cabin and win double CostaClub points.

--------

Cunard and P&O have also gone down this route with the late booking fares(now called early savers) they don't include as much as a "regular" fare.

----------

Early Saver bookings are made at the relevant grade and a cabin number is allocated by P&O Cruises prior to departure

- Dining preferences are not guaranteed (preferences collected prior to boarding and confirmed on boarding)

- Shuttle buses in ports are an additional cost

- Second priority for upgrades (where available)

---------

MSC is going even further introducing 4 tears of "experience" choose whats included and pay the price.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/New-Experience-Categories.aspx

----------------

One of the reasons we cruise is because so much food and entertainment is included in the price which makes the whole experience easier and conveniant. If the cruiselines go to a pay as you go model then they will be competing more directly with land based vacations. The accountants and corporate leaders might want to think about why people cruise and how this change in their model will appeal or not appeal to their client base.

There shouldn't be an up charge. I'm just not surprised that there is given the popularity and the history of the rising price of the Chef's Table and the Sanctuary which were also very popular. It's supply and demand. Personally being of Italian heritage and living in New York it would be a cold day in hell before I paid for pizza and pasta on a cruise ship. I can get that any day of the week at home.

Let's not give corporate any new ideas, :D

But realistically, I would rather have everything rolled into one fare, sans drinks and excursions, of course.

I would be willing to pay more at the outset if it meant improved food quality Paying up front , I would know that I would get no nickel and dinming surprises once on board.

Totally agree!

One of the reasons we cruise is because so much food and entertainment is included in the price which makes the whole experience easier and conveniant. If the cruiselines go to a pay as you go model then they will be competing more directly with land based vacations. The accountants and corporate leaders might want to think about why people cruise and how this change in their model will appeal or not appeal to their client base.

Good point.

Those that can afford suites and and mini suites are very fortunate.

Would like you to give a break down on how you think higher priced cabins subsidize inside ones?

I hate inside cabins but its either that or no cruise and would love to be able to travel first class in a suite.

Just my very personal opinion.:)

It could be argued that the single supplement subsidizes all categories. For the record I sail with my wife so it don't pay it but from reading these boards I know that you do.

Suite guest are paying for larger real estate that is located in the prime area of the ship and all of the special amenities that come with booking a suite. There is less inventory of this category which in it's self drives up the prices.

For those of you who feel that by booking a suite on Princess, you are carrying the rest of us without compensation I suggest that you consider Celebrity or the NCL Haven. They have a whole program where the suite guests have their own special dining rooms, pool area and private venues. Celebrity is just starting to roll out their program so it may be some time before it is fleet wide.

Edited by Iamcruzin

There must be some benefit to booking a suite or else you would just book an interior.

Our first cruise was way back in 1968. Inside cabin with bunk beds. Our last was in a suite. We do what we can EASILY afford. A cruise is still a cruise but suites make it a little special.

The real subsidisers are the drinkers and the gamblers.

I totally agree. The whole cruise experience is about having almost everything taken care of and lots of opportunities to try and enjoy things without worrying about how much extra it costs. Sure, there are many things I don't use and never would, but they're there if I choose to try them, and I don't want to start the nickel and dime-ing like a hotel stay is. I'd hate to see cruising turn into a "room only" experience. I can get plenty of that on land.

Our first cruise was way back in 1968. Inside cabin with bunk beds. Our last was in a suite. We do what we can EASILY afford. A cruise is still a cruise but suites make it a little special.

The real subsidisers are the drinkers and the gamblers.

I'll drink to that.:)

Cheers

Let's not give corporate any new ideas, :D

But realistically, I would rather have everything rolled into one fare, sans drinks and excursions, of course.

I would be willing to pay more at the outset if it meant improved food quality Paying up front , I would know that I would get no nickel and dinming surprises once on board.

Count us in this group also.

I can't imagine that a $1/day/pp increase in cruise fares would impact whether or not a cruise is affordable.

The little on board charges, however small, just seem to lower the "class" of the cruise.

We were on the Royal this last winter and really enjoyed Alfredos.

I can't say I'm surprised that a surcharge will be added to eat there.

This seems totally different than the room service delivery charge.