Just returned from Empress/ Impressions

jimlssi

DW and I just returned from the westbound Empress. I will not write a detailed, day by day account as do some of our more eloquent posters. I'll just give you our general impressions and you can ask questions if you want to.

We arrived in Spokane and had prearranged with the cruise hotel Mirabeau, for shuttle transfer from the airport, 30 minutes, $30( per couple). They were prompt and courteous.

The Mirabeau is a large convention hotel, about 250 rooms, and staff was very courteous. We requested a room on the ground floor close to the lobby/dining and got it. Since we did not have a car we did not want to be stuck out on the back of the property. Luggage moved from the shuttle to our room quickly.

First surprise, dinner that night at the hotel dining room "MAX". It was fabulous, one of the best meals we have enjoyed anywhere. So, unless you crave a McDonalds, which is across the street and up one block, stick with the hotel.

Boat registration was quick and easy, about 15 minutes. You also received a boarding number card for the bus transfer the next day

Breakfast next morning (included) was buffet, set up just for Empress pax, and it was a little chaotic, given that most everyone descended on the room at the same time, but they never ran out of food and everyone was very jovial and excited about the trip.

The 3 HOHOs plus two more generic coaches picked up everyone on time according to your boarding card number. Next surprise: it takes 3 1/2 hours to drive from Spokane down to Lewiston where the boat is docked! Pleasant enough, but we were not prepared for the long ride. Grab something at McDonalds before you get on the bus. If you are on an eastbound voyage, be aware that you will have a 3 1/2 hour bus ride back to Spokane after you disembark the boat.

Arriving at the boat, we boarded quickly since all the registration and credit card stuff had been taken care of back at the hotel. We were handed our room key card, and....next surprise...the "upgrade fairy" struck. We had been moved from a cat C @ 180 sq ft to a cat B @ 225 sq ft, because "we could not accommodate your bedding request". All we asked for was a queen, but apparently they gave out in cat C, so we were bumped up.

Food, generally was good to very good (always a very subjective issue, so I will say no more). The Empress has open seating in the main dining room and we never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a table, but most of the time it was instant seating, then we preferred to dine about 7-730pm. No complaint about the service or attitude, all DR staff were on top of their game. And they will keep pouring that wine.

We dined twice in the Grill on the top deck. They ask that you limit visits to that number so that everyone has a chance to use it. Menu there does not change; lobster, lamb chops, steak, so twice was fine for us.

Cabin was clean and neat, as was the entire boat. I did see a few signs of rust beginning to creep in, but you are on the water and that happens. They have a crewman who does nothing all day every day but go around touching up with white paint. I will admit to having some concerns about how the boat would look after being in storage for so long, but it looked really, really good, inside and out.

Excursions, both included and premium, were first class and reasonable priced. We are 30 cruise veterans on salt water small ships, so we have a base of comparison. Those HOHOs are a stroke of genius. We enjoyed that you could do both an included (free) excursion using the buses in the morning and also a premium tour in the afternoon if you wanted.

Entire staff was warm and accommodating, and always available, at least from our experience. I did understand that someone from "corporate Memphis" was on board, but do not know who.

We caught a couple of the shows and enjoyed them very much.

The only thing I really missed was not having a self serve washer/dryer on board, so we could pack lighter. But after seeing the boat, I don't know where they could put it, unless they took a small cabin out of service, and that is not a very sound financial idea.

At one port, another boat had registered for dock space before us (I was told), but no problem. The Captain just nosed the boat up to a field, dropped the bow ramp and off we went. Even the HOHOs found us.

We enjoyed seven beautiful days of perfect weather, only to disembark in the rain in Portland. I was not impressed with the port facility, as we appeared to be at a parking lot with a building next to it but the luggage was placed outside of the building, just under the

eve. In other words, no covered protection for getting off the boat and transferring your luggage.

This was our first experience on river paddle boating, and we enjoyed it. So much, that we are already planning on the Queen next year, probably upper Mississippi.

I'll try to answer your questions.

Jim

Saint Simons Island

Georgia

I'll echo the first sentiment, "Great review!" The long bus transfer was no surprise to us, being from Washington state. It's very reassuring that your experience was so positive. We want this company to flourish. Please share any afterthoughts regarding your journey.

One more thing did come to mind. This boat is powered by diesel electric generators that drive the electric motors for the paddle and the two stern z-drives. If your cabin is towards the stern of the boat,I would say half way from the elevator on to the stern, you are going to hear the constant rather loud hum of the generators. They never sleep! So if you are a light sleeper, better stay forward of the elevators.

Jim

St.Simons Island, Ga.

• 1 month later...