Euro acceptable in Bulgaria,Romania or Turkey?

Hello all,

In mid June, we are on the Balmoral, on a Black Sea cruise, calling at the above, amongst others.

For those of you who have been before us, can you advise, if the local shops and restaurants, will accept Euros, in addition to the local currency.

We know that local currency will be available on the ship, but we do not want to finish up, with coins and notes, which we may never use.

Thanks in anticipation.

You cannot use Euros in Turkey for definite as they are not even part of the EU in any form and I have never seen anywhere accepting Euros there (inland and port).

There may be the odd larger place in Bulgaria and Romania but its a risk...if you want to buy things from the real artisan shops and restaurants it is likely to be leu/lev.

It is always a good idea to have local currency to hand in Europe (even £30 worth) as you may see something you love in a market or need to use the toilet (often only accepting local coin). In Russia we found that some places accepted Euros but the best places were Roubles only...so we were relieved we had some.

Any note currency can be exchanged back at the post office and we always do that of we are not collecting the notes.

Edited by Velvetwater

You cannot use Euros in Turkey for definite as they are not even part of the EU in any form and I have never seen anywhere accepting Euros there (inland and port).

There may be the odd larger place in Bulgaria and Romania but its a risk...if you want to buy things from the real artisan shops and restaurants it is likely to be leu/lev.

It is always a good idea to have local currency to hand in Europe (even £30 worth) as you may see something you love in a market or need to use the toilet (often only accepting local coin). In Russia we found that some places accepted Euros but the best places were Roubles only...so we were relieved we had some.

Any note currency can be exchanged back at the post office and we always do that of we are not collecting the notes.

While I completely agree with your point about using local currency (and practice it), I have not found what you say about Turkey to be true.

I've visited Turkey many times (land tour/port calls at 6 different ports) and have found that most merchants will take euros, as well as most taxi drivers and many restaurants. However, you usually CANNOT use euros for entrance tickets, public transportation (trams, buses), or purchases in some small stores (e.g., a local grocery).

While I completely agree with your point about using local currency (and practice it), I have not found what you say about Turkey to be true.

I've visited Turkey many times (land tour/port calls at 6 different ports) and have found that most merchants will take euros, as well as most taxi drivers and many restaurants. However, you usually CANNOT use euros for entrance tickets, public transportation (trams, buses), or purchases in some small stores (e.g., a local grocery).

This is a new discovery...

Maybe its because I didnt stay in cities when I visited....I figured it was becauseof EU regulations or something.

Thanks for that...will be useful if I go again.

Turkey doesn't accept euros, Velvetwater?

They most certainly do, widely accepted in Istanbul & Kusadasi, also at many places in Canakkale.

But yes, best to have at least some local currency for places that don't accept euros or plastic such as local buses, trams, ferries. some govt-operated sights. Euros will also give you a poor exchange rate, esp at places which show prices only in TL. Liz's £30-worth or a little less per day per couple makes sense.

For Bulgaria & Romania we really need to know your ports-of-call - very broadly euros are more widely accepted in those which see a lot of foreign visitors. But in the absence of specific advice, the prospects are similar. So again it's worth taking as much as you're sure to spend, with euros & plastic as back-up.

JB :)

We hit the Port of Kusadasi Turkey, then went on a tour to Sirince (small village).

The stores in Sirince were willing to take EU and US $. I ended up buying a beautiful Jade pendant with US currency because that's all I had left and the salesman didn't hesitate. Probably not a great exchange rate, but he had the calculator and translated it to US dollars for me.