? about booking excursions

Tracyr

this has probably been asked but I am not a very good searcher. I have friends who are on the July 13 Diamond Princess to Alaska. They want to go on the train in Skagway and to the logging show in Ketchikan. I have never been to the show in Ketchikan, but if my memory serves me it is cheaper to just get tickets at the show rather than book through the ship. Since there is no risk of missing the boat, is there an advantage of booking through the ship for this excursion. Does anyone know if they sell tickets to the cruise line first, so there would be a chance you couldn't get a ticket on your own?? Thanks

I think it depends on the day you arrive in Ketchikan and the number of ships in port that day. I wanted to do the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan since this was my 3rd trip there. I booked in advance. Through RCI the tickets were $29 per person, the lumberjack show website showed tickets as being $32 per person, so they were a little cheaper through the ship.

Anyhow, when we were at the show that day, we saw people walk up to the ticket counter to purchase tickets and they were told that the tickets for the day were sold out. I heard a few other people grumbling about the same situation later that day when we were back on the ship.

I've also heard others on this board mention that they tried to get seats for the show on the day of and were told that it was all sold out, while others have said that on the days they've gone the show was half empty. Therefore, thats why I say it really depends on the number of ships in port, etc.

My suggestion is if you really want to see it, you should book in advance, that way you aren't disappointed if you try and buy it the day of and get turned away

I actually just got back week before last. I book cruises for an online agency so I can get cheap prices for myself and friends, this one is for a friend who does not use computers, so I am being nice and booking her shore excursions as well, didn't want to make a mistake when it was for someone else. Thanks again.

Archived