Silhouette - any free food poolside?

Travelergirl

It looks like Celebrity Silhouette charges for every item available. And that is fine if there are people who want to pay. That is not my interest.

My question is that usually there are free burgers and pizza and ice cream poolside on other ships. I do not see anything in the write-ups about Silhouette offering this option. Are the only fee-free F&B options in the main dining room and the buffet?

Also are there any activities on sea days on the ship like Trivia and Zumba and games and line dancing?

It looks like Celebrity Silhouette charges for every item available. And that is fine if there are people who want to pay. That is not my interest.

My question is that usually there are free burgers and pizza and ice cream poolside on other ships. I do not see anything in the write-ups about Silhouette offering this option. Are the only fee-free F&B options in the main dining room and the buffet?

Also are there any activities on sea days on the ship like Trivia and Zumba and games and line dancing?

There are free burgers and hot dogs and if you are in the Solarium, there is the Aqua Spa café. The Pizza and ice cream is inside the buffet which is adjacent to the pools. Where you got the idea that they charge for every item is beyond me. Silhouette is no different than any other ships.

I got that idea from reading a review of Silhouette. I have taken 7 Princess cruises and there are several places you can dine without any exorbitant fees (yes, I consider $45 p/p or dinner exorbitant - extra fee restaurants are $20 & $25 on Princess & they are great but who needs that much food) - (and if the dining room food is good, why do you need to spend more for food? makes no sense to me - but to each his own.) Even $5 for salads/paninis, etc. at the Porch is $5 more than they charge for those items at the bakeries on Princess. I figured if they are charging like that on Silhouette, then Celebrity is nickel and diming on everything. So yeah they are a bit different from other ships out there.

I am glad to know they still have free food poolside. I have taken 3 Celebrity - but years ago; 5 NCLs, and 7 Princess. Thinking about taking the Silhouette for a change of venue.

OMG - there is free food everywhere - don't worry - you won't go hungry. The food, although everyone has their own opinion, is extremely good. Sometime on these boards there are too many complainers - take it all with a grain of salt. The burgers and dogs are good and there is always free ice cream (that they make on board and it is very good). They have the buffet open also. There are healthy options at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Don't worry, and the food in the main dining room is also very good - you don't have to feel intimated by going to the extra-pay restaurants, although they are also quite good. It's your holiday, enjoy it your way!!!

I got that idea from reading a review of Silhouette. I have taken 7 Princess cruises and there are several places you can dine without any exorbitant fees (yes, I consider $45 p/p or dinner exorbitant - extra fee restaurants are $20 & $25 on Princess & they are great but who needs that much food) - (and if the dining room food is good, why do you need to spend more for food? makes no sense to me - but to each his own.) Even $5 for salads/paninis, etc. at the Porch is $5 more than they charge for those items at the bakeries on Princess. I figured if they are charging like that on Silhouette, then Celebrity is nickel and diming on everything. So yeah they are a bit different from other ships out there.

I am glad to know they still have free food poolside. I have taken 3 Celebrity - but years ago; 5 NCLs, and 7 Princess. Thinking about taking the Silhouette for a change of venue.

Each cruise line nickels and dimes people, some things are free on Celebrity that I'm sure you pay for on Princess and vice versa. One of the biggest complaints years ago was when Princess for awhile started charging for Ice Cream and the nickel and dime complaints were rampant then about them. As I stated Silhouette is no different than other lines or ships. You will find loads of free places to eat.

If you have sailed 3 times on Celebrity then you must be enrolled in the Captains Club which means you also get one free gelato during the cruise. It's so yummy. You can also get free pastries and tarts, cake etc at Cafe al Baccio. However, you do have to pay for the Specialty coffees there. Get yourself a free cup of coffee from the buffet to enjoy with your free pastries. You will be very well fed on Celebrity's "included with your cruise fare" food.

Yes, there is trivia 3x/day here and there. There is Zumba ($13/class since Canyon Ranch took over the spa in April). We often find that we have to choose between two activities that are scheduled at the same time. We never lack for things to do on the sea days no matter how many there are (have done 8 in a row).

Edited by YVR cruiser

Hi,:) all the ships have food included in your cruise prices. At the pool?

There is the grill.......burgers, fries, dogs, .....inside the buffet,

everything......and the ice cream is included in your price as well.

Whenever I am at the pool I always see lots of folks eating......and

the food is at no extra charge. I have also seen tacos at the pool

too.

So you will be able to get the items you mentioned without paying

extra for them.:)

You are asked not to wear bathing suits into the buffet when you enter to grab your pizza, or ice cream; also not to go in barefoot, so please bring sandals, shorts, t shirts, cove rips with you to the pool if you intend to go there to get food

I find it a shame that you haven't even taken this cruise yet and already you have a bad attitude about it and are complaining. Why do that to yourself? For the life of me, I can't figure people out. :eek:

As to your accusation that "Celebrity is nickel and diming on everything. So yeah they are a bit different from other ships out there", looks like you have already made up your mind to not enjoy yourself. Why even take this cruise if you are so negative about it? And so completely wrong!

I replied to your same question on the Ask A Cruise Question forum and supplied a link to some REAL information for you, instead of the nonsense information you have been reading.

Edited by boogs

I find it a shame that you haven't even taken this cruise yet and already you have a bad attitude about it and are complaining. Why do that to yourself? For the life of me, I can't figure people out. :eek:

As to your accusation that "Celebrity is nickel and diming on everything. So yeah they are a bit different from other ships out there", looks like you have already made up your mind to not enjoy yourself. Why even take this cruise if you are so negative about it? And so completely wrong!

I replied to your same question on the Ask A Cruise Question forum and supplied a link to some REAL information for you, instead of the nonsense information you have been reading.

I too was a little "put off" by the OP's 2nd post. :confused:

As opposed to Princess, on Celebrity all cabins can order a full hot breakfast from room service for free. Also you can order room service off the MDR menu (during dining hours) including Formal Nights.

Jeesh - I am not negative - I am trying to find out as much as I can about a cruise and cruise line I have not been on for many years. Why read negativity into questions?

There are many differences on these ships. For instance Zumba on Princess is free. It is good to know they charge for something here (nickel and diming? - more like dollars!).

I am trying to find out if there are free F&B items poolside since they charge for things other lines give you. I have already found out from one pleasant/helpful respondent that I will get free gelato and pastries and cakes. That is good to know. That's also good to know the group we are going with will be able to let their kids stuff their faces with free pizzas and burgers.

Negative? Nope - just thorough. No need to berate someone who has legitimate questions - no need to berate anyone. Sounds like you have stock in the line instead of being just a former passenger.

I asked for advice and help. I have been getting it. [As my grandson would say: So there - ha ha]

If you have sailed 3 times on Celebrity then you must be enrolled in the Captains Club which means you also get one free gelato during the cruise. It's so yummy.

Where can you get free Gelato if you cruised on Celebrity 3 times? Ice Cream in the buffet yes, however, I have never seen free Gelato.

Captains Club members get ONE free scoop of gelato per cruise. There's free ice cream in the buffet area.

Travelergirl, we've been nickeled and dimed on Princess and every other cruise line, except for the luxury lines. They all charge for one thing or another and they all have something that one gives for free and the other charges for. That's the way of the cruise line business. But you definitely cannot say that Princess doesn't nickel and dime, because they do.

Jeesh - I am not negative - I am trying to find out as much as I can about a cruise and cruise line I have not been on for many years. Why read negativity into questions?

There are many differences on these ships. For instance Zumba on Princess is free. It is good to know they charge for something here (nickel and diming? - more like dollars!).

I am trying to find out if there are free F&B items poolside since they charge for things other lines give you. I have already found out from one pleasant/helpful respondent that I will get free gelato and pastries and cakes. That is good to know. That's also good to know the group we are going with will be able to let their kids stuff their faces with free pizzas and burgers.

Negative? Nope - just thorough. No need to berate someone who has legitimate questions - no need to berate anyone. Sounds like you have stock in the line instead of being just a former passenger.

I asked for advice and help. I have been getting it. [As my grandson would say: So there - ha ha]

Your posts are more critical than curious. Everything you write is negative, from comments like "nickel and diming? - more like dollars!)" to "charges exorbitant fees", your entire attitude is to criticize more than to ask for information. A sensible person would ask all your questions out of real curiosity, but leave out the attitude of disgust you clearly have for Celebrity.

No, you aren't being "thorough". You are being critical. If you can't see that, then you have already lost the argument.

Checking out this thread for fun, will be on the Silhouette in October. We cruise both Celebrity and Princess (elite on both), plus HAL, Cunard and NCL. Each lines does different things, so can understand you asking in advance.

We love the buffet on Celebrity, so much so, we skip the MDR entirely on Celebrity cruises.

We picked up what we like in the buffet and take it elsewhere to enjoy. We like peace and quiet, so look for a quiet place on board.

If you know what you like, it is easy to find what you want and enjoy it on any line. You don't need to pay extra to do so.

Happy cruising.

I've never sailed Princess (but did HAL- Celebrity very similar). You seem to be confusing the specialty dining with what is free. The $45/pp dinner is specialty dining. That is an option. You will not be charged extra for any meal. It is only if you wish to "level up" that you pay. I, too, liked the breakfast in the buffet (since 1991 a cruising "1st" for me!). Good luck in your research.

Karen

You are asked not to wear bathing suits into the buffet when you enter to grab your pizza, or ice cream; also not to go in barefoot, so please bring sandals, shorts, t shirts, cove rips with you to the pool if you intend to go there to get food

Does this apply with men as well? I understand the logic with women, but it doesn't make sense with men. Of course I understand putting on a shirt and some shoes, and I'd never dream of going in without either one of those, but no bathing suit if you're by the pool?

We have been on the Silhouette twice and going for a third time in Dec. I love this ship! Tons of free food. You never go hungry. If you don't want the specialty restaurants, don't go. Food in main dining is very good. My Daddy always taught me, you get what you pay for.

Does this apply with men as well? I understand the logic with women, but it doesn't make sense with men. Of course I understand putting on a shirt and some shoes, and I'd never dream of going in without either one of those, but no bathing suit if you're by the pool?

I have seen plenty of guys in their bathing suits inside the buffet.

The shirt and shoes part would apply:);) and although they do ask

us gals to put on a cover up of some sort....I have seen gals in

there with just a bathing suit.:eek:

Edited by Lois R

I'm just reporting what the signage indicates, also in the Daily I read: "beachwear, flip flops/bare feet and baseball caps are not permitted in shipboard restaurants at any time. I have seen passengers in wet and drippy bathing suits asked not to enter the buffet as well

I'm just reporting what the signage indicates, also in the Daily I read: "beachwear, flip flops/bare feet and baseball caps are not permitted in shipboard restaurants at any time. I have seen passengers in wet and drippy bathing suits asked not to enter the buffet as well

I know, sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude...I should have just told him,

wear your bathing suit with a shirt and shoes. Some men's suits look

like a pair of shorts to me.

But I have seen gals just in suits before...some older, some younger.

Personally, I don't even like walking through the buffet without a

cover up of some sort....t-shirt and shorts is just as good as a

cover up to me.

Edited by Lois R

I have seen plenty of guys in their bathing suits inside the buffet.

The shirt and shoes part would apply:);) and although they do ask

us gals to put on a cover up of some sort....I have seen gals in

there with just a bathing suit.:eek:

Thanks for the information. Don't understand why someone wouldn't dry off before going in, and that should definitely be turned away.