Are any maps of ports provided?

Yanis

Will there be any handouts of maps of the ports of call during the cruise? Just thinking of printing a lot of maps of city centers myself, but then thought that maybe there is something provided on the ship?

Yes, but I certainly wouldn't want to try and use them if I was trying to find something specific. They have very limited information and generally lack a large number of street names. They are more of a "you are here" type map than one used to get from point A to point B.

There were maps of all ports on our Eclipse trip a few weeks ago. The quality varied dependant on the port. Some were very goid,some had been photocopied beyond recognition. You only got them if you asked at Guest Relatations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see, thanks for your replies! In that case I'll bring my own maps for the places where we are getting off to see something specific, and may rely on their maps if we are only planning a little stroll around.

The Concierge will print maps for you. Reminded of a story I've told before. I was standing at the Concierge desk when I heard a woman yell at the Concierge about her map. She asked for a map of Barcelona and he handed her one. She insisted that this was not the map she wanted. She couldn't use it because all the street names were printed in Spanish. He tried to explain without success. Absolutely true story!

I see, thanks for your replies! In that case I'll bring my own maps for the places where we are getting off to see something specific, and may rely on their maps if we are only planning a little stroll around.

If you have a smart phone with GPS, the apps MapsWithMe and CityMaps2Go are two great offline maps. We just drop a pin when we get off the ship and then we wander around and always know how to get back to where we started. When you expend the maps there is a lot of detail ie sites and restaurants. Worked perfectly for strolling around Paris and Rome

The Concierge will print maps for you. Reminded of a story I've told before. I was standing at the Concierge desk when I heard a woman yell at the Concierge about her map. She asked for a map of Barcelona and he handed her one. She insisted that this was not the map she wanted. She couldn't use it because all the street names were printed in Spanish. He tried to explain without success. Absolutely true story!

Gotta love some of those fellow cruisers. I was in line at guest relations behind a couple who were screaming at the poor guest relations person that the second bedroom in the penthouse was missing. Except that the penthouse has never had a second bedroom. Well they certainly weren't going to take her word for that.

I would definitely bring your own maps. Unfortunately, the ones provided by Celebrity are only intended to get you to the stores that pay them a fee if you shop there.

True not only of Celebrity but also of every other cruise line.

LuLu

If we're going to a port where we're going to explore on our own or look for something specific, I always print a Google map in advance. Google Earth maps are great if you are looking for several specific places or plan to wander extensively, as you can flag and label places (restaurants, landmarks, shops) you want to find. The ship's maps are very limited and we've found out the hard way they are often not to scale. What looked like a few short blocks to get where we wanted to go was over a mile. If we just want to get off the ship and stretch our legs and walk a bit, then an extra map isn't necessary.

Edited by Kartgv

If you have a smart phone with GPS, the apps MapsWithMe and CityMaps2Go are two great offline maps. We just drop a pin when we get off the ship and then we wander around and always know how to get back to where we started. When you expend the maps there is a lot of detail ie sites and restaurants. Worked perfectly for strolling around Paris and Rome

Thanks for the app suggestions, I'm heading to Bermuda on a cruise this weekend and even though it's a small island I'm still going to be directionally challenged as usual.

Thanks for the app suggestions, I'm heading to Bermuda on a cruise this weekend and even though it's a small island I'm still going to be directionally challenged as usual.

They work really well for that purpose. Make sure you turn data roaming off though:eek::D

The best tourist maps I've ever used is a series called MapEasy Guidemap. I've bought these for several European cities we've gone to. They are clear, easy to read, and have a ton of notations on them.

Here is a link for their map of Bermuda. There is a link on the page to see a small sample of the map - although it isn't large enough to give you a good idea of the whole map. http://www.mapeasy.com/product.cfm?id=6&location=16

I've bought mine at local bookstores and on Amazon.

The best tourist maps I've ever used is a series called MapEasy Guidemap. I've bought these for several European cities we've gone to. They are clear, easy to read, and have a ton of notations on them.

Here is a link for their map of Bermuda. There is a link on the page to see a small sample of the map - although it isn't large enough to give you a good idea of the whole map. http://www.mapeasy.com/product.cfm?id=6&location=16

I've bought mine at local bookstores and on Amazon.

Thanks for the link, Larry. Those do look like great maps.