Holiday Camp at Sea?

PORT ROYAL

We spent a long weekend in Italy, and over a fabulous lunch at Leonardo's house the conversation turned to Cruising, and this is where one has genuine food (pardon the pun) for thought.

When you think seriously, with an open mind, about the 'Rah-Rah' activities on a RCL ship, would it be correct to deduce that RCL cruises are now just glorified Holiday Camps at sea, with Celebrity following fast?:eek:

Companions, being Old School Cruisers, have already moved to Cunard and Oceania because of the perceived and progressive dumbing down of RCL/Celebrity.

Thoughts and discussions are now encouraged.

When you think seriously, with an open mind, about the 'Rah-Rah' activities on a RCL ship, would it be correct to deduce that RCL cruises are now just glorified Holiday Camps at sea, with Celebrity following fast?:eek:

I've seen various reviewers attach this label to most cruise lines - probably even Cunard :D.

It's a term used to describe any form of cruise product which is "beneath me" - and sorry, but when the term is used I immediately think "snob".

A great shame that Billy Butlin's camps are used for derogatory comparisons, the guy introduced affordable holidays to the masses. Including me, when I was a tiny tot. But that's by-the-by.

Nope, it's not a label I'd attach to any cruise line, possibly to the occasional cruise. Yes, there's belly-flop competitions & the like on RCI. But other than the sometimes inane drivel that comes over the tannoy such things are easily avoidable and RCI like most cruise lines have something to offer everyone.

On the other hand, I've avoided lines like Oceania and Cunard because of the much narrower band of options which they offer, and consequently the much narrower band of passenger that they attract. Possibly a mis-conception on my part, but I'm not about to risk thousands of pounds & a potentially-miserable cruise to find out.

Have cruised Voyages of Discovery several times, and that's about as far from "holiday camp" as you can get. First time I cruised with them I was attracted by the itinerary & hadn't researched the line - probably just as well because they do attract an older & more genteel passenger, yet I enjoyed those cruises and the company of those folk.

Each to their own.

And RCI and Celebrity and other mainstream lines are more likely to tick more people's boxes. :)

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hmm. I'm not sure what a Holiday Camp is or who Billy Butlin is, but it sounds like you think RC and Celebrity are not fancy enough or exclusive enough for you anymore. If you don't like them, then don't sail them. Maybe you would feel more comfortable on the luxury lines.

Companions, being Old School Cruisers, have already moved to Cunard and Oceania [/b]because of the perceived and progressive dumbing down of RCL/Celebrity.

Not in my book at all. In fact it sounds quite elitist to suggest that. "Progressive dumbing down" - really? And who is perceiving this?

Anything on board to do is optional and the demographics targeted by RCI (in particular) dictate a variety of options on board. And speaking of such, maybe your "Old School companions" are moving on to match their changing demographics to cruise lines catering to a more mature age group.

We all change in tastes and attitudes as we get older - and there is nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't have to mean looking down on from where you came and where others still may be.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On the other hand, I've avoided lines like Oceania and Cunard because of the much narrower band of options which they offer, and consequently the much narrower band of passenger that they attract. Possibly a mis-conception on my part,

JB

I agree... a mis-conception on your part

But it is a personal choice on where to spend YOUR time & money ;)

It is great we can make those choices & be able to cruise

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We spent a long weekend in Italy, and over a fabulous lunch at Leonardo's house the conversation turned to Cruising, and this is where one has genuine food (pardon the pun) for thought.

Companions, being Old School Cruisers, have already moved to Cunard and Oceania because of the perceived and progressive dumbing down of RCL/Celebrity.

Thoughts and discussions are now encouraged.

It might be more accurate to compare the small luxury ships to a staid old folks home.

I thinks it's a good thing that all cruise lines are not alike, since you two are on completely opposite sides of the question! :p

Hmm. I'm not sure what a Holiday Camp is or who Billy Butlin is, but it sounds like you think RC and Celebrity are not fancy enough or exclusive enough for you anymore. If you don't like them, then don't sail them. Maybe you would feel more comfortable on the luxury lines.

Sorry my friend, but you are making an incorrect assuption about me personally. Some of my friends have changed because of what the perceive is a dumbing down by RCL making their cruise experience akin to a Holiday Camp.

For my part, we are trialing Cunard on our next two cruises because if the relaxation of the formal dress code by RCL. I have previously posted this stance.

I wish to uphold the tradition, and respect for other guests, by following the suggested dress code with a Tux.

Your apology is accepted without posting it.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Sorry my friend, but you are making an incorrect assuption about me personally. Some of my friends have changed because of what the perceive is a dumbing down by RCL making their cruise experience akin to a Holiday Camp.

For my part, we are trialing Cunard on our next two cruises because if the relaxation of the formal dress code by RCL. I have previously posted this stance.

I wish to uphold the tradition, and respect for other guests, by following the suggested dress code with a Tux.

Ok so I am really confused about what I am supposed to be apologizing for. Because I don't know what a Holiday Camp is? Maybe that's a UK thing that we don't have in the US? As for my post, I suggested you try other lines. Apparently you agree with me because you are doing exactly what I suggested. So we are in agreement, correct?

I think this means you're getting old...I mean older.

Totally agree, because looking at your cruise history it could be that you are still in your early teens. Therefore, anybody over 40 being financially secure and taken early retirement would appear to be old.

Perhaps you can explain why you have the audacity to accept from deedeetoo an apology which was not offered - and an apology for which I can see no reason.

The undertone in your posts has reinforced my desire not to experience Cunard or some of its guests.

Apols to Lyn ;)

Perhaps you can explain why you have the audacity to accept from deedeetoo an apology which was not offered - and an apology for which I can see no reason.

The undertone in your posts has reinforced my desire not to experience Cunard or some of its guests.

Apols to Lyn ;)

The incorrect assumption made was

sounds like you think RC and Celebrity are not fancy enough or exclusive enough for you anymore.

It was friends over lunch who cited the increase of Rah-Rah and a dumbing down, which I posted for thought provoking discussion, but sadly some took this as an invitation for personal attacks.

The incorrect assumption made was

sounds like you think RC and Celebrity are not fancy enough or exclusive enough for you anymore.

It was friends over lunch who cited the increase of Rah-Rah and a dumbing down, which I posted for thought provoking discussion, but sadly some took this as an invitation for personal attacks.

"When you think seriously, with an open mind, about the 'Rah-Rah' activities on a RCL ship, would it be correct to deduce that RCL cruises are now just glorified Holiday Camps at sea, with Celebrity following fast?"

Were these not your words? Words that you are now attributing to your friends?

But if you felt that an apology was needed from deedeetoo perhaps you should have asked for one, rather than arrogantly presuming it would be forthcoming - because I consider that contemptuous and presumptuous. :mad:

Perhaps deedeetoo will have the grace to accept your retraction without you posting it. :D

I do agree about RCI's lax attitude to dress codes. Either you have a dress code to which everyone adheres (Cunard, P&O, VoD, C&M) or you don't have a dress code (NCL, Island Cruises).

Such a shame about the egotistical way in which you phrased your views.

BTW there has never been anything "old school" about cruising with RCI, which didn't join the cruising scene until 1970.

Proper "old school" goes back to the days before jet-travel, and was something only the privileged few could enjoy. Fixed shared formal dining was an integral part of that experience.

RCI's entry was just part of the broadening & changing pattern of cruising to appeal to a wider and more modern audience.

Or is Cunard's introduction of buffet dining an example of their "dumbing-down" with the rest of them? :rolleyes:

"When you think seriously, with an open mind, about the 'Rah-Rah' activities on a RCL ship, would it be correct to deduce that RCL cruises are now just glorified Holiday Camps at sea, with Celebrity following fast?"

Were these not your words? Words that you are now attributing to your friends?

But if you felt that an apology was needed from deedeetoo perhaps you should have asked for one, rather than arrogantly presuming it would be forthcoming - because I consider that contemptuous and presumptuous. :mad:

Perhaps deedeetoo will have the grace to accept your retraction without you posting it. :D

I do agree about RCI's lax attitude to dress codes. Either you have a dress code to which everyone adheres (Cunard, P&O, VoD, C&M) or you don't have a dress code (NCL, Island Cruises).

Such a shame about the egotistical way in which you phrased your views.

BTW there has never been anything "old school" about cruising with RCI, which didn't join the cruising scene until 1970.

Proper "old school" goes back to the days before jet-travel, and was something only the privileged few could enjoy. Fixed shared formal dining was an integral part of that experience.

RCI's entry was just part of the broadening & changing pattern of cruising to appeal to a wider and more modern audience.

Or is Cunard's introduction of buffet dining an example of their "dumbing-down" with the rest of them? :rolleyes:

Seems one may have inadvertently touched an exposed nerve or two.:rolleyes:

Googled 'Billy Butlin' for us Americans who have no idea who he was.

He started the UK all-inclusive resort industry for the masses. Very much like the resorts in the Catskills that flourished (and then struggled) til the early 80's.

Dirty Dancing was an homage to these resorts.

I learned about Holiday Camps from The Who ;)

Seriously, everyone has opinions of the different cruise lines. You just gotta find one that fits you, your personality, your wants, your needs. Everything else is just fluff...