Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

My wife and I have also just returned from 7 days aboard the Odyssey.

We were extremely dissappointed to find that the restaurant was closed for Breakfast every day, and the only time it was opened for lunch was the Galley lunch. Particularly on a sea day it was difficult for people to find seating, bearing in mind the inclement weather that did not allow guests to sit outside.

While this might soon the vast majority, we consider that a 6 star ship should offer the option of a full waiter service for these meals.

Whilst having a little moan, we were in suite 827 and suffered badly by the continual banging of the service doors opposite our suite. Complaints to the Guest services Manager fell on stony ground.

Frankly, that would be totally unacceptable to us and would end our sailing SB. It is inconsistent w. luxury sailing...and [if still applicable] even HAL

offers dining room service at breakfast & lunch.

Did any staff member indicate why this was the case?

My wife and I have also just returned from 7 days aboard the Odyssey.

We were extremely dissappointed to find that the restaurant was closed for Breakfast every day, and the only time it was opened for lunch was the Galley lunch. Particularly on a sea day it was difficult for people to find seating, bearing in mind the inclement weather that did not allow guests to sit outside.

While this might soon the vast majority, we consider that a 6 star ship should offer the option of a full waiter service for these meals.

Whilst having a little moan, we were in suite 827 and suffered badly by the continual banging of the service doors opposite our suite. Complaints to the Guest services Manager fell on stony ground.

Did you go to see the Hotel manager and ask why he kept the MDR closed for breakfast and lunch?

I find this a little unusual as I always breakfast in the MDR on a Seabourn ship.

There is a full service breakfast and lunch menu in the Colonade Restaurant for both breakfast and lunch. There is no requirement to eat from the buffet. When I went to the MDR on my previous cruise for breakfast and lunch it was the same menu as the Colonade except the menu was in a leather folio and there was white table cloth.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

We are sailing on Odyssey in 8 weeks and this is most alarming. We hate a buffet environment and expect full service in the restaurant at breakfast and lunch, as we have received on Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand the offerings of the Colonnade where there is also a lot of hustle and bustle. Some of us may prefer the quiet and service of the dining room. For us, it is unacceptable for a luxury cruise line not to offer dining room service. From personal experiences I know that Silversea, Crystal & Regent all have their dining rooms open for all 3 meals. SB already has limited alternative dining venues ; it needs to stay competitive.

Smoothcruiser, did you speak to the Hotel Director? I certainly agree that the

Guest Services Manager should have been more responsive.

I understand the offerings of the Colonnade where there is also a lot of hustle and bustle. Some of us may prefer the quiet and service of the dining room. For us, it is unacceptable for a luxury cruise line not to offer dining room service. From personal experiences I know that Silversea, Crystal & Regent all have their dining rooms open for all 3 meals. SB already has limited alternative dining venues ; it needs to stay competitive.

I whole heartedly agree.

There is a full service breakfast and lunch menu in the Colonade Restaurant for both breakfast and lunch. There is no requirement to eat from the buffet. When I went to the MDR on my previous cruise for breakfast and lunch it was the same menu as the Colonade except the menu was in a leather folio and there was white table cloth.

The MDR and the colonnade are totally different.

The quiet service in the MDR versus the hustle and bustle of the colonnade.

The food is generally hotter in the MDR and prepared much nicer.

The lunch menu in the MDR offers different choices to the other dining venues

I am also well aware that the MDR is not used by most guests for breakfast or lunch but it should remain open with a small compliment of staff for those guests that prefer to dine there.

The limited MDR with enhanced menus at both the patio grill and Colonade may be in response to seabourn responding to a younger more active demographic that is being heavily marketed to in the last year or so. Younger more active passengers like the attentive and quick service in these venues for lunch and breakfast that allows them time to maximize port time and to enjoy the other on onboard activities (exercise classes, sporting tournaments, pool relaxation, etc) verses the pomp and circumstance of the MDR for casual daytime meals. We dined in the MDR for lunch and breakfast three times in he Caribbean and each time there were only about 4 or 5 tables occupied. Passengers were speaking with their choices and it was clear that most preferred the Colonade or patio grill choices or room service, since the choices were identical.

Also with the younger demographic if they are looking for a leisure breakfast/lunch most folks I talked to ordered room service

We experienced the same situation on the previous 7 day Athens to Istanbul segment although the Restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch for the 11 days between Monte Carlo and Athens.

We were advised that it is Seabourn general policy not to open the restaurant for lunch and breakfast on 7 days cruises. 'Early-bird' coffee etc is also unavailable in the observation lounge on 7 day cruises.

I think I fall into your demographic. Marathon runner, avid photographer and sightseer BUT everyone needs time to relax. Mine is over breakfast after an early start at the gym and lunch after miles of walking in the morning. The dining room is the place to do that.

We experienced the same situation on the previous 7 day Athens to Istanbul segment although the Restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch for the 11 days between Monte Carlo and Athens.

We were advised that it is Seabourn general policy not to open the restaurant for lunch and breakfast on 7 days cruises. 'Early-bird' coffee etc is also unavailable in the observation lounge on 7 day cruises.

This should really be publicised by Seabourn. I would not have booked my forthcoming 7 day cruise had I known.

You certainly have the right to choose another line based on lack of MDR breakfast/lunch and you can let Seabourn know via the comment card why you will not be returning, but unless there is a large vocal outrage then only you can decide if those meals are deal breaker for you. You also have he option of a white table cloth meal in your suite where there will be plenty of peace and quiet.

You certainly have the right to choose another line based on lack of MDR breakfast/lunch and you can let Seabourn know via the comment card why you will not be returning, but unless there is a large vocal outrage then only you can decide if those meals are deal breaker for you. You also have he option of a white table cloth meal in your suite where there will be plenty of peace and quiet.

A wish for relaxation at lunch and breakfast doesn't equate to not mixing and being cocooned away imho! You misread my post - I wouldn't have booked a 7 night cruise but a longer one to guarantee main dining room meals. I also have a 21 nighter booked where this wont be an issue.

A wish for relaxation at lunch and breakfast doesn't equate to not mixing and being cocooned away imho! You misread my post - I wouldn't have booked a 7 night cruise but a longer one to guarantee main dining room meals. I also have a 21 nighter booked where this wont be an issue.

Totally agree,

Communication between Houston and Derbyshire is not what it could be.

Thankfully I understand your viewpoint.

Taking things to the enth degree you could have stayed at home to enjoy a quiet meal with a table cloth

Edited by Mr Luxury

You do of course mean "complement" and not "compliment"

Good wine always works that way with me and the spell check on the iPad

I can see it brings out the worst in you.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I accept the comments that a full service breakfast and lunch is available in the Colonnade.

But that is not my point.

The atmosphere in the Colonade is not that of a fine restaurant. It really is impractible to ask for your fruit juices, your fruit, your toast etc to be served by a waiter, which in turn means you do go to the buffet yourself. With lots of comings and goings and pushing and shoving, the meal is not relaxing. Another point to remember is that Seabourn clearly states you can eat with whom you want at anytime. Well I can assure you, unless you are in position early to sit at a table for two, you will be sitting at a larger table and WILL be joined by others.

That may suit some or most,but others will not want that and it just isnt possible.

There are many older people travelling with SEabourn and they just want to eat in the quiet and peace of the restaurant.

Gunter was the Hotel Manager, and although we did not speak with him directly, we did sit with the Captain (Bathgate) for Dinner one evening and when the subject was broached, he simply said that the policy for seven day cruises had changed. He did not want to pursue the subject.

Our comment to the Guest Services Manager went unanswered.

On a personal basis, we have sailed with Seabourn now for over 120 days but will not be sailing with them again until such time as we can be guaranteed that Breakfast and lunch will be waiter service in the restaurant.

I have written to Seabourn and await they official comments.

Post #15 Mr Luxury... 'n th degree' too funny ! Yes, the MDR often has supplemental dishes [especially lovely fish] as well as dishes cooked to order and well presented I could never understand why folks wanted their fajitas pre made and from a chafing dish.

Galeforce 9---I agree. We do not seek monastic solitude & have never taken lunch in our rooms...nor do we wish to be 'forced' to do so.

Smoothcruiser--I am in agreement with you & others regarding the relaxation potential of the MDR as well as the impracticality of full service in the Colonnade. Also I am disappointed with SB's apparently new policy ...as well as the poor response/ or no response/ that you have received from SB both on the ship and from central command. Frankly, I would have anticipated better from them.

Not every day is a port day....the room service menu is not identical to the Colonnade or MDR....the Patio Grill remains open for those who wish to sun...and I'm uncertain what the sports tournaments are, especially near the lunch hour. Frankly, if the 'young demographic' is seeking such an active life style, SB may not be a good fit for them! Just my thoughts.

We were on 2 legs of the WC and some days both sides of the MDR were used for lunch. We have a 10 day SB in mid August and I will report back about the MDR and other luxury aspects of sailing SB.

I can confirm that the restaurant wasn't open for breakfast or lunch during a 7 day cruise we took last year. We were somewhat surprised, and rather disappointed. And we did comment on the online questionnaire.

Not sure about this demographic business, one of us is in our late 40's, the other early 50's. I'm not sure if that's considered 'old' these days, at least by anyone over 35, but we certainly like to have a relaxed and unhurried breakfast on a couple of days during a holiday.

This thread cracks me up. Pushing and shoving at the buffet? SB decides to limit breakfast/lunch in the MDR on port intensive shorter cruises and now all of a sudden we are apparently slumming it on a Carnival 3-day Ensanada cruise with hillbillies who can't hold a fork

Perhaps SB is looking to the new cruisers as the new revenue source and there more casual attitude is what they are catering to now. The oldies with 100 days are pretty set in their ways, they may complain on CC but aren't willing to give up their status in order to "flee" to another carrier. I don't think SB made these decisions with without studying the data. They track how many people dine in each venue at every meal. CRM data is rich with insight and if only 25 people per meal were eating in the MDR for lunch/breakfast it becomes a business decision to cater to the needs of the patrons verses having a staff of waiters and cooks in a separate facility just in cae.

The cooked to order breakfast in the Colonnade was quite tasty and definitely wasn't from a chafing dish.

Well I can assure you, unless you are in position early to sit at a table for two, you will be sitting at a larger table and WILL be joined by others.

I agree with much of your post, but would like to point out for the benefit of others who may be reading, that this has never happened to us -yet- in the Colonnade.

It's an interesting point, I'd be interested to hear from other posters about their experience in this regard.

I can barely function before 10am so the prospect of trying to make polite small talk with strangers over breakfast is rather mortifying for me!

This thread cracks me up. Pushing and shoving at the buffet? SB decides to limit breakfast/lunch in the MDR on port intensive shorter cruises and now all of a sudden we are apparently slumming it on a Carnival 3-day Ensanada cruise with hillbillies who can't hold a fork

I missed that part! I haven't seen any pushing and shoving at the buffet on SB at either breakfast or lunch.

"Ensanada cruise with hillbillies who can't hold a fork" :D

I agree with much of your post, but would like to point out for the benefit of others who may be reading, that this has never happened to us -yet- in the Colonnade.

It's an interesting point, I'd be interested to hear from other posters about their experience in this regard.

I can barely function before 10am so the prospect of trying to make polite small talk with strangers over breakfast is rather mortifying for me!

Not once did we ever have to unwillingly share a table at either breakfast or lunch. Outdoor tables at the Colonnade were at a premium on especially pretty days but there were always lots of free tables indoors. We did share a table willingly at lunch one day, but that was because we ran into some new friends and wanted to chat over a leisurely lunch which was served by the waiter.

This doesn't surprise me - over the last 2/3 years the hours allowed for lunch and dinner in the MDR have been shortened and on occasions it has been closed for lunch. In addition the lunch menu in the MDR on days it is opened now seem to replicate the Collonade thus restricting choice. Whilst demographics may play a part in Seabourn's latest measures on 7 day cruises this looks like straightforward cost cutting as is the removal of the early bird coffee etc. Once the triplets are out the way we are likely to see more of this and choices we have come to expect on Seabourn will slowly be reduced until it becomes little more than a more upmarket brand of HAL.