Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

I think for me it's more about the ambience in each venue rather than the quality of the food. On our most recent cruise we found that we preferred the food served in the Colonnade.

However, although I've never seen pushing and shoving in the Colonnade, (and I apologise to the OP if my post about that was offensive), sometimes I want a more calm atmosphere. The MDR at at breakfast and lunch is more peaceful. For example, if I've spent the morning in a port that's hectic and noisy, I'm likely to prefer to have lunch in the MDR so that I can wind down a bit.

I do think it's important for SB to continue to offer a choice.

Nolatravelgirl

There is no need to go off on one.

My original post merely pointed out to Seabourn cruise critics that the Main Dining Room was not open for Breakfast or Lunch.

Under no circustances was I suggesting that the buffet and accompanyying dishes were unacceptable.

Cruising on a luxury line to me, means, that if I would like to take my time over one of these meals and have waiter service that is my perrogative. Seabourns brochure advertises the availability of these meals in the Dining Room, but they are not providing it.

Nolatravelgirl

There is no need to go off on one.

My original post merely pointed out to Seabourn cruise critics that the Main Dining Room was not open for Breakfast or Lunch.

Under no circustances was I suggesting that the buffet and accompanyying dishes were unacceptable.

Cruising on a luxury line to me, means, that if I would like to take my time over one of these meals and have waiter service that is my perrogative. Seabourns brochure advertises the availability of these meals in the Dining Room, but they are not providing it.

Great, opinion noted, please do let us know how it works out on your new chosen line. At the end of the day cruise lines have the right to change things over time to accommodate guests or to better align profits and it is up to us as customers to determine if these things are are worth leaving a cruise line. You believe that your cruise fare entitles you to plated meals three times a day in the MDR and if there is a line that better meets that need then I say give it a go, but inevitably that line may too change something that doesn't sit well with you.

Things change, end of story.

I personally hope that with the growing size of the new ship, Seabourn continues to offer more options, not less. I think the spirited debate here shows that the "average" Seabourn passenger wants a variety of things that can't be funneled into a single option if they want to keep their customers happy.

I welcome variety. I totally get where the MDR can seem stuffy to some while the Colonnade seems chaotic to others. I've had the same impression of both, depending on what mood I'm in which is why I like options! I always feel like I'm underdressed in the MDR if I'm heading out in port (or just returning) or have been by the pool all morning.

Funny though... we talk about mass market. When I was on the dreadfully large (and full of children) NCL Getaway earlier this year, the only options for lunch were either a nasty buffet teaming with children or a main dining room with white tablecloths or a shipside version of a Bennigans complete with fried food smell or a very limited room service menu. That white tablecloth restaurant was my choice every single day and it made me appreciate the options I have on Seabourn (whether or not they are all available at any given meal). :D

I agree with much of your post, but would like to point out for the benefit of others who may be reading, that this has never happened to us -yet- in the Colonnade.

It's an interesting point, I'd be interested to hear from other posters about their experience in this regard.

I can barely function before 10am so the prospect of trying to make polite small talk with strangers over breakfast is rather mortifying for me!

Yes Nigella,my wife and I can hardly summon the energy to talk to each other over breakfast let alone suffer others that we do not know.:)

Nigella,

Our first 'epicurean' event was about 3 years ago and featured lovely canapes, prosciutto being sliced by hand, foie gras and other delights. The next cruise, the event was quite modified [downward] but still included some interesting items. Yes, I was on the Sojourn in March and I am trying to remember the very few items [in the booths]. It was a very disappointing non event and we quickly retired to The Club.

One of our segments included caviar in the pool...and yes, you have perfectly described it the atmosphere...'giddy' Many senior officers, including the Captain, were in the pool with the very hard working F&B staff trying to keep up with the demand for caviar as well as champagne. I took lots of photos but have not mastered posting.

Edited by PaulaJK

I know that it is the lovely Leanne from the UK

It is indeed the lovely Leanne. We were dining on the Sojourn one evening with friends who knew her quite well, and they explained that she used to play football for the England Women's team. I've heard of some remarkable career changes but that's one of the best, from football to Seabourn!

She said there's a good chance that she'll be on the Christmas cruise, I hope so.

Nigella,

Our first 'epicurean' event was about 3 years ago and featured lovely canapes, prosciutto being sliced by hand, foie gras and other delights. The next cruise, the event was quite modified [downward] but still included some interesting items. Yes, I was on the Sojourn in March and I am trying to remember the very few items [in the booths]. It was a very disappointing non event and we quickly retired to The Club.

One of our segments included caviar in the pool...and yes, you have perfectly described it the atmosphere...'giddy' Many senior officers, including the Captain, were in the pool with the very hard working F&B staff trying to keep up with the demand for caviar as well as champagne. I took lots of photos but have not mastered posting.

We've been scratching our heads trying to remember the details, and the only thing we remember from the epicurean event in March was the prosciutto! Agree, disappointing non event that I'd hyped myself up too much for.

Last year we were on for 20 days and really enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the dining room a number of times as well as several very pleasant lunches. It did seem amazing that they kept the dining room open for both meals for so few guests. At breakfast, there was sometimes only one other table; at lunch, typically three or four. We are bringing friends with us for two weeks next month, and one of the things the four of us were looking forward to was a quiet breakfast where we could discuss our plans for the day. Oh well!

Last year we were on for 20 days and really enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the dining room a number of times as well as several very pleasant lunches. It did seem amazing that they kept the dining room open for both meals for so few guests. At breakfast, there was sometimes only one other table; at lunch, typically three or four. We are bringing friends with us for two weeks next month, and one of the things the four of us were looking forward to was a quiet breakfast where we could discuss our plans for the day. Oh well!

I understand that the dining room will still be open for breakfast and lunch on cruises of more than seven days.

I understand that the dining room will still be open for breakfast and lunch on cruises of more than seven days.

Unfortunately for the MDR breakfast/lunch option, we will be on for two 7-day segments. Fortunately, with respect to everything else, we will be on for two 7-day segments which were marketed as a 14-day cruise.

This seems not to be a six star cruise line. I go to the gym on Crystal around 11 AM and have still three venues open for lunch not including room service.

We always wanted to try Seabourn but I think we will forget it and stick to other luxury lines.

It is about the white table cloth stuffiness for the original poster here]

Nolatravelgirl, I believe that you are misreading the original post and all those supportive comments since. Perhaps we should agree that you like buffets and we do not!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do not like buffets as well. I don't need someone coughing or sneezing over the food.

This seems not to be a six star cruise line. I go to the gym on Crystal around 11 AM and have still three venues open for lunch not including room service.

We always wanted to try Seabourn but I think we will forget it and stick to other luxury lines.

I think that is a good idea if this is going to be such a major concern for you. We all have things that won't suit us about other lines and other things that are different but we can compromise on. Aren't we lucky we are able to have a choice.:)

Or you can just avoid seven day cruises...........which I have to admit I prefer to do.......I also avoid the 14 day which is a combination of two 7 day.

Edited by frantic36

We do not like buffets as well. I don't need someone coughing or sneezing over the food.

I agree,when I was on Crystal Serenity I saw a guest pick up food from the buffet with his fingers instead of using the serving spoon.:eek:

A very lively thread indeed! Lots of fun to read. My supposition, which I cannot prove, is that the change in policy is due to cost-cutting efforts dictated by HAL in Seattle.

Yes Nigella,my wife and I can hardly summon the energy to talk to each other over breakfast let alone suffer others that we do not know.:)

This is too funny. I am usually petrified of making small talk with strangers before 11:00 AM. I wish I could enjoy the juice and fruit at the Colonnade with blinders on, wearing a sign, "Do not disturb."

This is too funny. I am usually petrified of making small talk with strangers before 11:00 AM. I wish I could enjoy the juice and fruit at the Colonnade with blinders on, wearing a sign, "Do not disturb."

:D tv24, I know we were on the Sojourn for a couple of weeks during your World Cruise, I wonder if we encountered each other at breakfast?

I usually ask the server to just bring me copious amounts of coffee and whatever the breakfast special is that day. Then I retreat into my own "Do not disturb" expression!

I'm not at all anti-social generally, but first thing in the morning (that's up to around lunch time for me!) is an exception.

Glad that others feel the same way.

Edited by Nigella

Some people like full service and a quiet refined atmosphere while others prefer a lively bustling environment.

Some people dine and others eat.

Just wish SB wouldn't court the second group to the detriment of the first.

Luxury is having the MDR to yourself for breakfast.