RC credit card

125000 points can be used for a free cruise up to $2500 making 4 free cruises worth $10,000 if you can use the max value. This makes this a wash with the $10,000 return on the other card mentioned. This is based on 1 point per dollar and not the 2 points per dollar the bank of America RCI card provides for RCI purchases.

If I had the cash from the other card mentioned I would most likely spent it somewhere else so it wouldn't work for me but I think it is a good alternative to the RCI card.

125000 points can be used for a free cruise up to $2500 making 4 free cruises worth $10,000 if you can use the max value. This makes this a wash with the $10,000 return on the other card mentioned.

Correct. This is how we have used our points, getting a 2% value.

I am interested in hearing what other cards offer. We typically charge $12-15,000 each month so the points add up quickly. :eek:

I ended up canceling mine. We did get some good value out of it in the past, using the upgrade rewards. But it's just too limiting now and I can do better with other cards. It's better than nothing, but like other posters have said, there are even better options out there. I just don't see it being competitive anymore. Maybe BOA and RCCL will see this.

I just received mine to use for the $100 OBC, but it does seem like even the NCL Bank of America card is better because you can use your points for cash back, not just for NCL cruise rewards.

Perhaps they are allowing you to use your points for money off a cruse since you redeemed them in March, prior to the BOGOHO sale. (called again last night and was told only OBC with an BOGOHO reservations)

They made an exception for me and allowed me the balcony discount on a redemption that I had made prior to all the rule changes . Good luck!!

When I look at my paperwork I have a $500 fare reduction, but don't see any sign of the 75,000 - it will probably be OBC !!:mad:

I still seem to have the balcony discount ......

I guess I will make another phone call Sigh !!

Jane

125000 points can be used for a free cruise up to $2500 making 4 free cruises worth $10,000 if you can use the max value. This makes this a wash with the $10,000 return on the other card mentioned. This is based on 1 point per dollar and not the 2 points per dollar the bank of America RCI card provides for RCI purchases....

A 7-night Caribbean cruise in a "minimum available oceanview stateroom" and "excluding Oasis and Allure" is valued closer to $1,250 than $2,500 in my opinion.

(Would you really pay $2,500 for that cabin?) Also factor in the lost travel agency perks.

With "free" cruises, very little will be charged for RCI purchases, the bulk of the purchases will be at the 1 point per dollar rate.

With the alternative cards, the minimum rebate will be 2%, Some will earn 3% or 5% back.

So the comparison is. ....

With the RCI card, $2,500, at most, under the ideal conditions (closer to $1,250 under typical conditions)

With other cash back cards, at least $2,500 under typical conditions

It will seldom, if ever, be a wash.

For those unable to manage their rebates from separate sources and prefer to accumulate them on one card, I understand your dilemma, and you should choose what suits you best.

Any rebate is better than no rebate, but please don't try to rationale it as an equivalent or better reward.

Just for clarification....

I don't have any special dislike for the RCI card. The same is true for the Carnival or Norwegian cards with the same 1% rebate. It is also applicable to all those credit cards with 1% or up-to-1% rebates.

For those with decent credit ratings, able to do so, it is time to switch to cash rebate cards offering 2% or better. With higher demand, we will see better rebate offers become more common.

I am interested in hearing what other cards offer. We typically charge $12-15,000 each month so the points add up quickly. :eek:

No annual fee - cash back cards:

Fidelity American Express - 2% on everything. No exclusions.

Amex Blue Card - 3% Supermarkets

BankAmericard Cash Rewards - 3% gas

Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories, each quarter

Citi Dividend - 5% rotating categories including Home Depot

Discover It- 5% rotating categories, each quarter

US Bank Cash+ Visa - 5% on two categories you choose

Pen Fed Platinum Visa - 5 points per dollar gas, 3 points/$ supermarket

Pen Fed Travel Rewards - 5 points/$ airfare

In an earlier post, I listed Citi Forward - 5% all restaurants and movies, and 5% Amazon- but it is no longer available to new applicants.

Capital One has a new card - 3% on travel but has annual fee.

Many others, but with annual fees.

Additional Note:

Cash back cards are most beneficial if you pay the bill in full each month.

If you tend to carry a balance, then the cash back rate is miniscule in comparison to the interest rate you will pay.

The optimum choice of a credit card is dependent on your own personal habits.

Edited by Libra_Critic