My humble NYC parking instructions !

sebas030

Thanks so much, from a fellow Montrealer, for the instructions. This is the level of detail that I like/need for our first cruise ever :)

You are welcome !

Have fun on your first cruise....beware...cruising is addictive !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the great directions! We are going out of Manhattan on the Breakaway this Sunday. We usually sail from Bayonne, Baltimore or Florida. Your wonderfully detailed instructions have certainly helped alleviate my fears about getting to the port!

Thanks so much for the great directions! We are going out of Manhattan on the Breakaway this Sunday. We usually sail from Bayonne, Baltimore or Florida. Your wonderfully detailed instructions have certainly helped alleviate my fears about getting to the port!

[emoji106]🏻 My pleasure,

Have fun,

The Breakaway is great !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I printed out the directions and am having difficulty with the very last picture. Can you tell me what the three red boxes say, going from left to right?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Far left is the tent where the search dog is. You have to stop the car ( shut engine off ), open trunk and let the dog sniff your things !

Middle ( big blue box with chrome doors) is the actual elevator.

Right is the entrance ( white van getting in the parking on the picture )

So you get in the parking and turn slightly right, do about 20 feet and stop for dog inspection.

The sight of the ship you are embarking is amazing....take pictures when you exit the car before you get to check-in level. Once inside the terminal you wont be able to take good pictures of the ship.

Have fun !

• 4 months later...

Using these on Sunday and feel much better with these excellent instructions. Now, we four country bumpkins have to draw straws to see who has to do the driving in the city! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this very complete instruction.

Using these on Sunday and feel much better with these excellent instructions. Now, we four country bumpkins have to draw straws to see who has to do the driving in the city! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this very complete instruction.

i used these a month ago and they were great coming through the tunnel. also there was 'no traffic' that morning either and very smooth sailing. coming from NJ was a piece of cake.

but i really dont know how those people drive into that city everyday for work.

i used these a month ago and they were great coming through the tunnel. also there was 'no traffic' that morning either and very smooth sailing. coming from NJ was a piece of cake.

but i really dont know how those people drive into that city everyday for work.

Most people take public transportation. I live in NJ, and don't know anyone who drives into the city everyday. DH commuted for 15 years, and if he has to go in for work, takes the bus. It's faster.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks for the detailed directions! We're sailing on a Saturday. How is traffic on a Saturday morning coming through the Lincoln Tunnel?

sunday morning is dead. maybe same on saturday? i actually dread my travel this december. leaving thursday coming back friday

As a general rule traffic is heavier on Saturday morning than Sunday morning and on both days traffic is lighter than on a weekday morning.

BUT...generalizations are often useless. Traffic can be heavy any day due to construction, accidents and special events. We choose our route to the pier by checking the traffic reports on WCBS 880 (traffic reports given on the "8s") and WINS 1010 (traffic reports given on the "1s").

oops i totally forgot anthem is out of NJ. so being that i wont get to NYC, i'm assuming my traffic will be light :)

Bad assumption. There can be traffic delays due to construction projects on the NJ Turnpike, including the long term reconstruction of exit 14A, which is the exit you'll take to get to Cape Liberty.

I appreciate the responses. We are driving from Indiana and had decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in New Bergen, NJ and come through the Lincoln Tunnel, but then I read we might be better off coming across the GW bridge and approach from the north. I guess since it's hard to predict what will be happening in September, we'll just book a room and go with it! :-)

I appreciate the responses. We are driving from Indiana and had decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in New Bergen, NJ and come through the Lincoln Tunnel, but then I read we might be better off coming across the GW bridge and approach from the north. I guess since it's hard to predict what will be happening in September, we'll just book a room and go with it! :-)

It is easier to take the GWB than the Lincoln Tunnel (and I've driven in the city plenty of times), and I think you mean North Bergen).

I have stayed at that Holiday Inn Express but our cruise left on Sunday. But I still think I would take the Lincoln Tunnel since the hotel is right off of 495.

We are on a cruise leaving on a Saturday in June but are staying by Teterboro so we will take the GW Bridge. I plan to look at Google maps with traffic on about the same time we will be driving to the port a couple of Saturday mornings beforehand to get an idea of what traffic is like.

Thanks for the detailed directions! We're sailing on a Saturday. How is traffic on a Saturday morning coming through the Lincoln Tunnel?

It's a long trip from Indiana and you are arriving on a Friday night. Are you coming in I80? If so, look for a hotel near I80 in the Parsipanny NJ area - you will want to get off the road in a nice suburban area and not deal with the closer in NYC metro area on a Friday night after a very long drive. North Bergen is urban and Tonnelle Ave is the route 1/9 truck route.

The next morning take I80 to go across the GW Bridge to the Henry Hudson Parkway South. If you're on the upper bridge get in the far right lane for the very first exit. If you're on the lower bridge get in the far left lane for the very first exit. The Henry Hudson ends at the Manhattan cruiseport, so no local street driving in NYC.

It's a long trip from Indiana and you are arriving on a Friday night. Are you coming in I80? If so, look for a hotel near I80 in the Parsipanny NJ area - you will want to get off the road in a nice suburban area and not deal with the closer in NYC metro area on a Friday night after a very long drive. North Bergen is urban and Tonnelle Ave is the route 1/9 truck route.

The next morning take I80 to go across the GW Bridge to the Henry Hudson Parkway South. If you're on the upper bridge get in the far right lane for the very first exit. If you're on the lower bridge get in the far left lane for the very first exit. The Henry Hudson ends at the Manhattan cruiseport, so no local street driving in NYC.

Thanks....I appreciate that. I will pass the information on to my brother who will be doing most of the "big city" driving! The info about which lane to be in, etc. is very helpful!

Just FYI - both last & this Saturday morning, coming from N.E. Queens (northeast of LGA Airport) - best/fastest route was via the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge onto I-95 South to the Lower Level of GWB, right lane exit (last one in NYC) onto the Henry Hudson Parkway (West Side Hwy) southbound direct to the pier, 9:30 AM last week to MCT and 9:15 AM this week back to Queens - trip time of less than 30 minutes with minimal traffic, a breeze to get into MCT.

Great info on the parking situation! Thanks for sharing! Question: Is there any shortage of parking at the terminal? Sailing on NCL Breakaway on a Sunday this summer and don't want to get all the way down there just to find "Parking Full"!

never heard of an issue parking. when i got there around 930 on 2 different sundays it was no issue. probably cause the price. but i love the convenience.