My humble NYC parking instructions !

sebas030

Not sure how big your group is or how much luggage you have, but I would walk over from that hotel to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

In the link, you will see the directions to Pier 88 (MCT).

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

2014 July Breakaway

Thank you so much! I think my 21yo and 18yo and I can handle that! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks...planning to drive this time and this is very helpful. Now just to book the cruise and convince my wife we should trek 8-9 hours instead of fly...

I saw in another thread that you're driving from the Toronto area. We drive from Kawartha Lakes area and wouldn't consider flying.

By the time we paid for a hotel near YYZ with parking for the car for the week and went through security/customs at the airport and then dealt with getting from the airport to the cruise ship at the other end - way less hassle to hop in the car for the whole trip! Plus we'd end up flying in a day earlier and paying for a night in a hotel in NYC anyway because it would be terrible to have your flight delayed and miss the boat. Four of us travel together, we leave early morning, hit up a Cracker Barrel for lunch after we cross the border, and stay in New Jersey for the night. Up early in the morning, navigate the non-existent Sunday morning traffic, and park right at the pier. After the cruise we carry our own luggage off the ship, hop in the car and we're on the road (Sunday morning again, no traffic!). I can't imagine less stress than that. :) Don't forget the added bonus of no additional luggage fees - I'm pretty sure they all charge for your first checked bag now. :mad:

I do love flying (the novelty just doesn't seem to wear off!) but to fly to the US vs 8-9 hours driving just doesn't seem worth it.

…and of course all that is just my personal opinion… :p

Thanks. Flights are crazy right now even if I go out of porter so driving it is. Wife is nervous as she doesn't drive so concerned about the 8 to 10 hours... I joked, this time I have a god and Google maps so won't have to rely on her map reading skills.

Thanks for these awesome instructions. Convinced me to drive in and park at the pier and THEN to stay at a downtown hotel the night before.

I have been using Google streetview to navigate the way in (you can't go up to the ship terminal, but you can see the ramp in the pictures.)

My hotel will be on W 54th st just past 7th ave so I will be able to follow these instructions but turn L onto W 55th. Down to the garage at my hotel, then back on 55th, cross over the west side highway, and turn left, and resume these instructions. Easy.

And I figure leaving in my own car from the port saves me almost 2 hours getting home when we get back (instead of waiting for a pickup, getting to our car, etc.)

No. The parking lot will only be open on cruise ship arrival/departure days.

I have a question. If I needed to get vehicle out of the Manhattan pier parking lot mid cruise...would I be able to? We had a death in the family situation where we were going to fly home from a port before the cruise ended. One of the factors stopping us was not knowing if we could get our vehicle out of the lot on a Thursday when the ship was scheduled to be back on a Sunday. We did not know if the exit gate is automated 24/7...or only open on debarkation day.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer! The ship did not know answer and once we debarked on Sunday, the porters did not know the answer either.

coka

Such a helpful thread, thank you! One question, we are staying in NJ right next to the Lincoln Tunnel, the front desk suggested we leave about 6am to avoid the madness of the tunnel but if the lot doesn't open until 9 does anyone know if they will let you queue up in line until they open? Or is tackling the tunnel 800-830 not as daunting as it sounds and we should just do that? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Where are you staying by the Lincoln Tunnel? Where are you driving in from and why did you choose to stay in the North Bergen area?

Chances are you can access the tunnel at one if the last entrances in NJ and it won't be so bad after 9 am. If I remember correctly you want to be in one of the center tunnel lanes so you get shunted uptown towards the pier. The far right tunnel lane is a no no.

Thank you! We are staying at the Comfort Suites on Tonnelle Ave as it was reasonable priced and appeared to be in semi close proximity to the pier but not one of took the tunnel or Monday morning traffic into consideration... So that is why we were trying to decide if going before rush hour or waiting until after would be the best, just worried about missing out on a parking spot at the pier if we go in later.

Parking should not be a problem at the pier, particularly if you arrive mid morning. Where are you driving in from? If you're coming from the west on I80, we generally recommend that folks stay in a nice suburban area like Parsipanny, NJ (Hotwire is very good for this) and drive into the city after 9:00 am via the George Washington Bridge and the Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway, which literally ends at the pier. For an out of towner this is a much less stressful trip. Tonnelle Ave is the truck route 1/9 and it is a much more congested urban area.

Carol- what do you think about staying in the Secaucus area? We are coming from Philly and don't want to do the whole drive on embarkation day. Looking at Courtyard or Embasy Suites there off Rt 3. Is it an easy drive to the tunnel from there? We are departing on Mother's Day- Sunday. Another question about the tunnel- it looks like there are 3 tunnels- how does that work? Are there more than one lane in each tunnel? I have never driven into NYC before so I need to know exactly where to go... A bit nervous about it!

You are only about a two hour drive from NYC and early on a Sunday morning it's an easy drive. Are you sure you want to spend the hotel money? What are the rates at these two hotels?

There are three tunnels with two lanes each. My guess is that on a Sunday morning one of the tunnels might be closed and there would be two lanes into NYC. I think you want to be in the leftmost lane so you can turn left at the end to go uptown.

Edited by 138east

Thanks for these awesome instructions. Convinced me to drive in and park at the pier and THEN to stay at a downtown hotel the night before.

Seems to me I read that the pier parking lot is only open on cruise days - you may want to double check in case you can't park there day before you leave.

You are only about a two hour drive from NYC and early on a Sunday morning it's an easy drive. Are you sure you want to spend the hotel money? What are the rates at these two hotels?

The Courtyard is 173$ Sr. rate for 4 of us. This is a "girls" cruise and I thought it would just be fun to start early and make the morning not so stressful! :) still not sure we will actually do it, but checking out the options.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any concerns with the drive from the parking area back to the Lincoln Tunnel? (Sunday) Are there signs which can be easily followed? These are such good directions for coming in to the port, just wondered about going home. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was going to do the park right thing, but considering that our group consist of 4 elderly passengers, a baby and only 2 able-bodied adults, I see your logic in value of convenience. Alas, we are coming in with 2 cars so the convenience does sting a little bit more (twice as much more...) :(

Any particular suggestions for the caraven of 2 cars driving up from Baltimore, with an additional stop to pick up a passenger from a B&B in Jersey City?

Thanks.

K.

Was going to do the park right thing, but considering that our group consist of 4 elderly passengers, a baby and only 2 able-bodied adults, I see your logic in value of convenience. Alas, we are coming in with 2 cars so the convenience does sting a little bit more (twice as much more...) :(

Any particular suggestions for the caraven of 2 cars driving up from Baltimore, with an additional stop to pick up a passenger from a B&B in Jersey City?

Thanks.

K.

Where in Jersey City?

• 3 weeks later...