My humble NYC parking instructions !

sebas030

Great info on the parking situation! Thanks for sharing! Question: Is there any shortage of parking at the terminal? Sailing on NCL Breakaway on a Sunday this summer and don't want to get all the way down there just to find "Parking Full"!

I don't think it's ever been full.

• 11 months later...
Thank you all :o

All I hoped was to not get flamed because I wrote something wrong or ...whatever.... so I am pleased with the warm welcome !

Talk to you all later !

Your instructions are awesome. I used them last year and they were so helpful. I wanted to share with new cruising buddies but the pictures have disappeared. Anyone know how I could see them again?

Your instructions are awesome ... but the pictures have disappeared. Anyone know how I could see them again?

OP hasn't been around since Sept 2016 here on CC ... and, the problem is most likely with the cloud/server that s/he used to "house" those uploaded images/pictures. Might be the same one that I was using ... free then, subsequently began charging fees for "public sharing" & blocked - I took my pictures offlline and deleted them from their server, wasn't going to upload old "stuff" from 2, 3 or 4 years+ ago again, not worth the trouble.

I have some newer pictures from the GWB and West Side Hwy approach from last year/year before ... maybe I will just piggyback and put them here instead, it won't be matching the written narrative but will at least provide some "visuals" - should I ??

< These "generic" ones should help, regardless ... here we go >

c3c39abc177aaf1c1e5ced5a8c1d3331.jpg

0efc842892b672eeb0ca81da04d4ecf7.jpg

0f0498cee60444ecda23b298c41da383.jpg

7a87a7744791cb0912b7c0db8aed9a2e.jpg

0f2fd2758f6837a8e1cdb027619ff7af.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Thank you. That is awesome
Got a few more, these show what it's like coming down via the GW Bridge on the West Side Hwy, stay on the right lane & keep right, follow sign & up the ramp to either dropoff or to rooftop parking, where a security sweep is quckly done for all vehicles.

** The cruise terminal entrance to upper levels is gated, locked & only open when ship(s) is there (zoom in & see in the picture) - keep right as you drive up the ramp to get to the roof-top parking (do not drop-off luggage or passengers first, or you will have to exit the piers & do a big u-turn to come around again, taking 15 to 30 minutes on busy days)

Buses, even taxis & car services are sometimes dropping off at the lower or street level. Giant elevators and escalators will take you up to security & check-in.

7e606988d19e0c8f626e3a2ccd9446ed.jpg

29351487fd4aa08504624d9db933fe83.jpg

c79bdbe7bd70aa6d27ec980f2317303b.jpg

022f5e25b23dc764a62ca03aaf79fd2c.jpg

d451d39b3c1cb6483b595710f8fcfb58.jpg

via dual sim QISKIW-L24 using AT&T or T-Mo on Tapatalk

Pier parking discount for the NCL Gem was available but discontinued by summer of 2017. Please check the NY Cruise Terminal's website for most current parking rates as published.

There are designated spots for accessible parking and otherwise plenty of open parking, pier 90 and pier 92 (seldom used/needed) had more spaces. The mostly empty parking lot is above pier 90 taken from our Carnival ship's balcony, the NCL ship was docked at pier 88.

Inside & beyond security, the Pier Cafe is open, also vending machines for soda & bottled water, and restrooms. Sorry, there is no free WiFi inside the terminals & cellular signals can be spotty.

947d88cd333e99dbfc60d57e007f50b8.jpg

b628c0fa7eb05087bf6374e101ae6b4a.jpg

2271fdd960576d179a25836c8d7fbe75.jpg

d800a589c2c066682105d4ed973ed9cd.jpg

via dual sim QISKIW-L24 using AT&T or T-Mo on Tapatalk

From the pictures it looks like you might have come in via I95 (Cross Bronx). Can you comment on that? My recollection is that, as the picture shows, you have to be in the far right lane to get on the Henry Hudson. I hate that intersection. Every time I've taken it, I ask myself "why the H*** did I do that!"

... looks like you might have come in via I95 (Cross Bronx) ... have to be in the far right lane to get on the Henry Hudson ... hate that intersection.
Hi, yes - I dislike that I-95 stretch but on weekend mornings (before 10 am ... weather permitting, fingers crossed & Waze not steering elsewhere) - coming from NE Queens (east of LGA airport) - it's usually the fastest route for us. About 20 miles to MCT vs. 16 miles over the RJK (Triboro) Bridge in about 30 minutes, very consistent but not for out-of-towners. From LGA, RJK and then crosstown on 125th Street via Harlem, then, south down the Rt. 9A is quick too, despite local streets w. traffic lights.

On I-95 (i.e. coming in from MA/RI/CT & possibly even Long Island) - trucks, buses & commercial vehicles are restricted to upper level of GW Bridge and they begin keeping left thru the Bronx section, while to get onto the Rt. 9A or Henry Hudson, one has to begin to move to the right lane by the Major Deegan (I-87) interchange, as the traffic coming from other "feeds" - especially trucks try to move to the left ... it is a mad, crazy web of lanes to zig-zag thru (over that Alexandar Hamilton Bridge ... the "apartments" on top, over the Bronx & Manhattan at the Harlem River section sitting over I-95.

Essentially, glue to signs & lanes for the Lower Level of GW Bridge (no exits whatsoever once you are under the "apartments" area above on I-95, and then signs for the Henry Hudson, far right lane - which you turn & exit, it split up, to go north for Riverdale & away; and, the other lane(s) to go south for downtown - including the MCT (cruise terminal - no "signage" in that area, whatsoever, for the piers) as long as the driver stay in the proper lane to go SOUTH, and it merge ... drive with care as it can be confusion and cars coming from other roadways merging.

Doing our Spring cruise shortly - going to let Carmel deal with this, but, if we end up taking this route - - quickly, just over the Whitestone Bridge for I-95 South, I will see if I can snap some pictures and/or better yet - video clips ... it will probably be very helpful to CC folks ... as an option.

For others uncomfortable about driving in NYC's heavy traffic - your routes coming down the parkway ... and, now with this "Toll by Mail" for drivers/cars without EZ-Pass is easier, more simple & more "fool-proof"

P.S. Waze earlier this morning - best route was over the WSB to I-95 and down Rt. 9A in 30 minutes, fastest. It's now 11:15 and no longer the case, routing past LGA on Grand Central Pkwy to RFK Bridge option, 125th Street & down Rt. 9A in about 50 minutes, slower but shorter in distance by 4 miles. Carmel will be booked - it's a flat rate so will sit back & relax instead.

Great description of all the options that could be offered by an app like Waze! New Yorkers coming from your area should have some experience with these options. However, I always recommend that folks coming from New England get on the Henry Hudson in Westchester County and pay the $6 toll by ezpass or mail to get to the Manhattan Cruiseport or the GW Bridge to NJ to go to Cape Liberty. I've always felt that, since this toll is avoidable, it keeps a lot of the locals off the Henry Hudson. And of course the HH has none of the big scary trucks either, so that's a huge plus.

• 4 months later...

This thread is very helpful, thanks very much! We are driving and doing an overnight 1.5 hrs away in PA. Confirmation that traffic is generally (albeit, not certain) light on Sunday mornings is reassuring as well. I'll likely be using Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions since it will redirect me due to traffic as well as tells me which lane to be in (which is a feature that I wished Waze had).

This thread is very helpful, thanks very much! We are driving and doing an overnight 1.5 hrs away in PA. Confirmation that traffic is generally (albeit, not certain) light on Sunday mornings is reassuring as well. I'll likely be using Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions since it will redirect me due to traffic as well as tells me which lane to be in (which is a feature that I wished Waze had).

Where exactly in PA are you staying?

• 1 year later...

As this is a bit old, just asking if it is currently possible to drive up and drop off someone giving luggage directly to a porter while I circle around to a nearby (ha!) parking lot (yes, I know the pier parking will be so much more convenient)? My main interest is that my wife not have to handle the bags, just wait until porter takes them.

Also, for NCL, can that person typically wait in the line to check in saving a place for me to come back to after I park the car?

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
clarity

1 hour ago, WestfieldTraveler said:

... if it is currently possible to drive up and drop off someone giving luggage directly to a porter while I circle around to a nearby (ha!) parking lot ... for NCL, can that person typically wait in the line to check in saving a place for me to come back to after I park the car?

FYI - parking & drive info, etc. are still current, valid and good to follow.  We frequently used Pier 88 for NCL but also last month, Pier 90 for NCL.

Yes, you can drive up to 2nd. level and drop DW off with luggage first, then - she can watch/guard/wait for a porter to take the luggage ... curbside.  When we're using Pier 90 last month, we had to bring all the checked bags inside, just passed the entrance doors near the giant elevators (too cold, it's winter) for the porters - stationary, to take the bags.  There will always be porters coming out of the terminal - try that and an extra tip won't hurt if she has lots of bags to haul by herself.  

Point is that drivers are allow to stop curbside, or double parked, to unload luggage & passengers - just cannot wander off for even 30 seconds away from "unattended" vehicles for security/safety reasons - they are constantly sweeping & looking to make sure.  

Once the checked bags are hauled away by porter, you proceed inside thru security ... lines move fairly quickly when everything else is clockwork smooth.  Once thru that, you are directed to whichever check-in lines are appropriate ... pretty much cannot stand there & wait, blocking others from moving.

If she needs to wait, step off to the side pre-security and wait.  Once you've taken care of parking your car off-site (be sure to confirm your discounted parking fee ahead to save a few bucks, or more) - return/walk back to the pier & re-join, then go thru security, then to the lines for next available agents for pier check-in.  

Don't forget to get one and fill out the quick health questionnaire, 1 per adult passenger ... as it is collected by the check-in agent. 

Pictures from Dec 2019 - outside Pier 90 and inside.

IMG_20191213_102612438.jpg

IMG_20191213_100224884.jpg

IMG_20191213_095923841.jpg

IMG_20191213_095406592.jpg

Edited by mking8288

This is great info!

When this was first posted, check in times was not yet a thing.  So, if I get a check in time of 11:30, what time do you suggest I plan on arriving at the cruise terminal for parking? (meaning, arrive at the intersection of 55th and 12th?)

I'm obviously more concerned about not getting a parking spot than waiting outside the terminal for my check in time!

We're staying at a hotel in Edison, NJ the night pre-cruise. Google maps says, at that time of day, it'll take between 45 and 75 minutes to get to the terminal.  We leave on a Monday.

3 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

This is great info!  ... if I get a check in time of 11:30, what time do you suggest I plan on arriving at the cruise terminal ... more concerned about not getting a parking spot than waiting outside the terminal for my check in time! ... staying at a hotel in Edison, NJ the night pre-cruise. Google maps ... 45 and 75 minutes ... on a Monday.

Weekdays morning, driving with 2 or more, once you get back on NJ Turnpike, take advantage of HOV-2 car pool lane (until 10 am - thru Newark/EWR Exit 14A ... saving you a few minutes) in "Cars Only" to head north ... Google/Waze is a great driving "friend" of ours, trust in it.  I would leave the hotel around 9:15 and allow about 1 hour, putting you near/at the pier anywhere from 10 to 10:30 am (I would say, about 1 hour on average, with the tail end of the weekday morning commuter rush)  

The Lincoln Tunnel, nearest to the pier is often congested with priority bus-only lanes in the "center" tube.  If Waze/Google steer you to take the GWBridge approach slightly further to the north, go with it - especially if the ETA is more than 10 to 15 minutes sooner - and it's a straight approach from the Henry Hudson, just remember to keep right as you exit the elevated highway & transition to local, city streets (see photos above).  

Generally speaking, disembarking passengers parked at the roof-top should be leaving as early as 8 to 8:30 am and by the time you get there, say around 10:30 (there's a quick security sweep/inspection  ... including, an EOD dog/partner) - should be plenty of open spaces to pull into.  If Pier 88 is full and out of space, they are supposed to handle spillover using Pier 90 right next to them, and open up the gate - parking & port security folks are on hand to direct the flow.  

Check the MCT's port schedule for the days/weeks you are sailing to see how many other ships are using the terminal - that should give you a good preview of possible bottleneck ...I won't say never but 95% plus of the them, get their wishes to park.  Some will use private, off-street nearby garages to park ... saving a few bucks a day.  If you are coming via SUV, minivan and/or other large/oversized, over-height & over-wide vehicle ... roof-top parking is your best option and no surprised $10+ daily or holidays/"nearby" special events surcharges added.  

P.S.  We sailed last month and being the "smaller" of the 2 Norwegian ships there, bumped to Pier 90 and rooftop parking was open - did not hear of any parking issues or the lot being full. 

Edited by mking8288

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Weekdays morning, driving with 2 or more, once you get back on NJ Turnpike, take advantage of HOV-2 car pool lane (until 10 am - thru Newark/EWR Exit 14A ... saving you a few minutes) in "Cars Only" to head north ... Google/Waze is a great driving "friend" of ours, trust in it.  I would leave the hotel around 9:15 and allow about 1 hour, putting you near/at the pier anywhere from 10 to 10:30 am (I would say, about 1 hour on average, with the tail end of the weekday morning commuter rush)  

The Lincoln Tunnel, nearest to the pier is often congested with priority bus-only lanes in the "center" tube.  If Waze/Google steer you to take the GWBridge approach slightly further to the north, go with it - especially if the ETA is more than 10 to 15 minutes sooner - and it's a straight approach from the Henry Hudson, just remember to keep right as you exit the elevated highway & transition to local, city streets (see photos above).  

Generally speaking, disembarking passengers parked at the roof-top should be leaving as early as 8 to 8:30 am and by the time you get there, say around 10:30 (there's a quick security sweep/inspection  ... including, an EOD dog/partner) - should be plenty of open spaces to pull into.  If Pier 88 is full and out of space, they are supposed to handle spillover using Pier 90 right next to them, and open up the gate - parking & port security folks are on hand to direct the flow.  

Check the MCT's port schedule for the days/weeks you are sailing to see how many other ships are using the terminal - that should give you a good preview of possible bottleneck ...I won't say never but 95% plus of the them, get their wishes to park.  Some will use private, off-street nearby garages to park ... saving a few bucks a day.  If you are coming via SUV, minivan and/or other large/oversized, over-height & over-wide vehicle ... roof-top parking is your best option and no surprised $10+ daily or holidays/"nearby" special events surcharges added.  

P.S.  We sailed last month and being the "smaller" of the 2 Norwegian ships there, bumped to Pier 90 and rooftop parking was open - did not hear of any parking issues or the lot being full. 

Thanks for the very helpful info!

We’re on the Carnival Radiance.  Is there a way of knowing in advance which pier it will be at?

I looked at the MCT website, and their cruise schedule only lists cruises through Dec 2019, so they’re a little behind.

Do you know how they handle those who arrive prior to their check in time?  Do they just send everyone in anyway, or do they use the early/late arrival line there?  I plan on being on line at midnight to get the earliest check in time, so we’ll see what I get.