RCL Insurance

Thanks I was just looking at that site and much prefer $525 as to $725 plus I can do it 2 months from now and not have to do it today. Because of my mom the pre-exisiting sounds like the best option but not having to decide today makes it so much better. Again thanks so much.

I read that as being as long as you have not been to the doctor in the last 60 days, you do not have a pre existing condition.

I know weat you're saying, but probably more complete to say -- If you were not treated, if treatment was not recommended, if you were not hospitalized and if no Prescription was changed for a condition during the Policy's xx day pre-existing lookback, then no pre-existing condition.

ken

Third party insurance is "door to door" vs. cruise line insurance which sometimes won't cover things like the aforementioned air fare purchased before final payment, independent tours that you have arranged, pre/post cruise hotels not purchased from the cruise line. But the biggest turn off for me is that medi-vac is only $25K. That won't get you very far. Most 3rd party policies have at least $100K and most a lot more. Third party usually has more coverage on other things like trip delay, lost luggage, etc.

I've even seen some cases where cruise line was more expensive than 3rd party particularly if you have children staying in your cabin which are included free on some policies.

When purchasing third party, figure out how much you need minimum. Then keep inching up the coverage until the premium goes higher to get the most bang for your buck. If push comes to shove, you don't need to insure pre-paid tips or port taxes if that is going to raise the premium to a higher level. I always start the insurance the day before I really need it and finish coverage the day or so after I intend to be home. Doesn't cost any more.

If you haven't purchased your air yet, hope to use frequent flyer miles, you can go ahead and buy insurance from a 3rd party right after deposit to get pre-existing coverage coverage and cover any other things you have at risk like a non-refundable hotel room. Then, if you find that you have to purchase your air because you can't get ff miles or you are just getting around to buying it, in most cases you can call the insurance carrier and, by paying an additional premium, get coverage raised to cover what you need and your pre-existing coverage will stay in place.

Tucker in Texas

One more thing: many travelers don't have pre-ex worries, but their non-traveling parents, sibs or other loved ones do. Not all pre-ex waivers cover non-travelers! So ask yourself, if your non-traveling loved one's cancer or other progressive disease took an unexpected turn causing death just before your sail date, would your cruise cancelation be covered?

Artemis --

I was researching this last week. Interestingly, it's true that the "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" often does not "address" non-traveling relatives, but for the several policies I checked, the definition of pre-existing conditions is only for insured, traveler, and traveling companion (and sometimes traveling family member) and therefore doesn't apply to non-traveling relatives. I think CSA was one such example.

Looks to me that we have to check both the words of the waiver and the words of the definition of pre-existing, and in the (2 or 3) cases I checked pre-existing only applies to insured, traveler, and traveling companion (and sometimes traveling family member.

ken

Great ideas - will look into this. Ages are 79, 57, 55 and 23. Just cruise cost is approx $700 PP with $260 for air fare. The dates we will be gone is Dec 2-12. I used Amer Express - so I can also check with them. I believe on the quote I used $1050 per person.

As mentioned, you could get an excellent CSA 'Luxe Policy with the Waiver, upto Final Payment for some $575.

If you're within 21 days of booking, you could get a pretty decent Travel Insured WorldWide Trip Protection (with decently high medical and evacuation coverage) for some $378. I'd call and verify that the waiver waives pre-existing conditions for non-traveling family members.

You may have to decide if it's worth $200 (split 4 ways) to not have to commit to insurance until Final payment.

As mentioned, the age 79 is a killer - the age 79 premium was something like twice the premium of the other cruisers.

ken

Ken, good advice to compare both provisions--they usually align, but I have seen mismatch. Pre-ex is not an area I like to take chances with, esp. considering how difficult it is to overcome a contested "look back" denial.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Ken, good advice to compare both provisions--they usually align, but I have seen mismatch. Pre-ex is not an area I like to take chances with, esp. considering how difficult it is to overcome a contested "look back" denial.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

EXACTLY! My advice is usually, even if you think you don't have a pre-ex, you're better off with the waiver which can expedite/speed-up your claim as the insurer wont' be spending extra time looking for a denial, and then god forbit they find one.

ken

CruiseCare restrictions:

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty

and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise

vacation for any of the following reasons:

• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has

symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment,

or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you

purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders,

or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs

or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

...and other...

Also says:

Royal Caribbean

International will waive their standard cancellation provision and

refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the

unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your

traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one

of the following reasons:

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or

members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed

and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is

terminated;

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V2.pdf

I don't think they look at preexisting conditions of family members. At least I have never heard of someone complaining about this. I think RC is pretty agreeable about refunding the bulk of your fare if you purchase their insurance.

I think people like CruiseCare because premiums are not influenced by age, like outside plans.

The new CruiseCare policy for travel after 01 Jan 2015 defines "pre-existing" as applying specifically to:

the insured (you), or

your Traveling Companion, or

your Business Partner or

your Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you.

Therefore (IMO) "pre-existing condition" does not apply to immediate family not traveling with the insured.

Note that Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains is covered regardless of any pre-existing condition - so with a pre-existing condition your evac would be covered, but not your medical treatment!!! this looks to be the case in all of the Policies I've looked at.

ken

Edited by Ken076