Boston Private Vehicles

Keith1010

Last time we were at the pier there were very few cabs there so thought a private car would make sense.

Keith

Keith,

That was my experience a couple of weeks ago. Granted, I only needed a cab for 2 people to get the Kennedy library and wasn't crunched for time. There were a few cabs but not an abundant amount. While I don't have a recommendation, I'm sure you will get one for a private car company.

Nancy

When I docked in Boston last month for the day, I was all set up with the Uber phone app to call a cab, but I didn't have to use it. We were there early on a super quiet Sunday and the wait for a cab was only a few minutes.

Keith - could you provide more details? What day of the week are you disembarking? What ship? What time is your flight? I did a quick pricing for Boston Coach and they were quoting $98, which is totally ridiculous. Even with the tunnel toll and Logan taxi surcharge, the cab fare from the pier to the airport should be no more than $30. The airport is directly across the channel from the pier thru the Ted Williams Tunnel, which is only a few blocks away.

138east, we will be disembarking on a Friday morning.

My concern is that when we last stopped at Boston (we didn't disembark from that port) that there didn't seem to be too many taxis and I am just not familiar with the port on disembarkation day.

Keith

Yes but what time is your flight and what time do you estimate you would disembark? What cruise line? What time does your schedule say the ship arrives in Boston?

As I said I came in for the day on a super quiet Sunday and had no problem getting a cab after waiting a few minutes. I also came in on a TA on another Sunday morning and it was also super quiet. I had priority disembarkation and was off the ship by 8:30 am. We came in at 6 am and they must have scurried around because the entire port hall was filled with luggage. That time the customs and immigration guys collected the forms on the ship outside at the gangway on deck 5, so when you got off, all you had to do was find your luggage and you were good to go.

I think it's all a question of timing. Folks are going to be embarking, so vehicles will be coming to the port. On a Friday the normal number of cabs will be out and about in the downtown area.

If you disembark at 8:30 am, I just don't see any issues making a 12 pm flight from Logan, which is 15 minutes tops from the pier.

Here's what I would do. Get some Boston cab telephone numbers. Get off the ship, get your luggage, and see what the cab situation is. If you can't get a cab for some reason, then call one.

Black Falcon Terminal and pier is long and narrow - Black Falcon Ave runs the entire length of the pier. So IMO it may be far easier to get your luggage outside (I don't really remember seeing any porters - hmmmmm) to a cab than to find where the car service is parked.

Remember - Logan is really close and you have oodles of time. I used to work nearby at the World Trade Center and when I flew on business from the office, we'd leave an hour before actual flight time!! Never came close to missing a flight.

138east, thank you for your additional input.

Can you give me your take on what the pier is like on disembarkation day in terms of taxis. Is your experience that there are a lot of taxis sitting out there on disembarkation day?

Thanks,

Keith

It may seem extravagant, but we use Boston Coach a lot to go from our home in a western neighborhood of Boston to Logan Airport, especially when we would otherwise have to pay for parking, or risk a dirty cab with a crazy driver. Not all taxis are a problem in the city, of course, but we've had some doozies, so prefer a car company.

Boston Coach is top-notch and I wouldn't hesitate to use them, Keith. BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed your daily blog on your recent world cruise - felt like I was almost on the ship with you and your DW, so thank you.

Boston Coach is (as we say) wicked expensive. You do get a premium product, but for a super-premium price.

Call me when you get in, Bruce. I'll pick you up for 75% of the Boston Coach price AND I'll take you to Belle Isle for a lobster roll (your treat) en route! :)

Edited by Nitemare

It may seem extravagant, but we use Boston Coach a lot to go from our home in a western neighborhood of Boston to Logan Airport, especially when we would otherwise have to pay for parking, or risk a dirty cab with a crazy driver. Not all taxis are a problem in the city, of course, but we've had some doozies, so prefer a car company.

Boston Coach is top-notch and I wouldn't hesitate to use them, Keith. BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed your daily blog on your recent world cruise - felt like I was almost on the ship with you and your DW, so thank you.

Thank you very much for your input and also for your kinds words about the blog.

Best to you.

Keith