Getawy vs oasis (just got off getaway June 7)

Maddycakes

Can you truly compare the two ships? The Oasis is 1/3 larger in tonnage compared to the Getaway. 140ft feet longer and 30ft wider. Kind of like comparing the Norwegian Majesty to the Gem or Pearl. They are two vastly different ships

We ate most of our meals at the buffet (all breakfasts and some of the dinners as well as most lunches) and NEVER encountered a horrendous mess. In fact, I never waited longer than 5 minutes for a made to order omlette or crepe. The buffet wraps around and repeats so you just go to another area if one seems very busy.

It is amazing how people can have completely different experiences on the same ship.

My issue with Getaway's buffet isn't that it takes a long time to get food. My issue is that they've organized everything along a central core that starts at the elevators, runs aft around the stern, and meets back at the elevators. Instead of having separate island stations, where people can see where everything is located at a glance, this "racetrack" requires passengers to walk around the perimeter to see what they'd like to have. In practice, passengers tend to stop abruptly in the corridor once they've seen something they want. Having to negotiate this sea of rubbernecking buffet-goers, while carrying a tray of food and trying to find what you'd like to have yourself, is ridiculous. Throw in a few waiters and waitress carrying trays of dirty dishes into the mix, and you end up with an unpleasant, chaotic environment.

In the context of this thread, Oasis has a superior buffet layout with island stations and tons of room between them to navigate. I can get my soggy fries and lukewarm lasagna without having to run an obstacle course.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you truly compare the two ships? The Oasis is 1/3 larger in tonnage compared to the Getaway. 140ft feet longer and 30ft wider. Kind of like comparing the Norwegian Majesty to the Gem or Pearl. They are two vastly different ships

I don't think it is the size so much but the amenities of what you get for the money. Cruising many of the RCL ships, size is different but what I think you look for is the experience. Oasis/Allure both have great experience but at what cost.

Never sailing NCL, just reading post, it seems that NCL gives you more for the money but the experience will yet to be seen. :)

I too am going to be going on Getaway followed by Allure in August. I have been on both Allure and Oasis before but I have never sailed with NCL. We are from the UK so tend to be in Florida for several weeks in the summer.

I intended to do a back to back on either Oasis or Allure but just before booking the price of one of the weeks increased dramatically to the tune of over £1000 ($1700) for the two of us but the other week stayed the same.

That is when I decided to look elsewhere and ended up booking Getaway.

We are in a balcony cabin on Allure and in the Haven on Getway. The Haven on Getaway was less in price than the first week on Allure following the price increase.

I too am going to be going on Getaway followed by Allure in August. I have been on both Allure and Oasis before but I have never sailed with NCL. We are from the UK so tend to be in Florida for several weeks in the summer.

I intended to do a back to back on either Oasis or Allure but just before booking the price of one of the weeks increased dramatically to the tune of over £1000 ($1700) for the two of us but the other week stayed the same.

That is when I decided to look elsewhere and ended up booking Getaway.

We are in a balcony cabin on Allure and in the Haven on Getway. The Haven on Getaway was less in price than the first week on Allure following the price increase.

Don't miss: Illusionarium dinner show, Legally Blonde, walking along the Waterfront at night for a drink/ dining outside..,Burn The Floor ( latin dancing), Howl At The Moon, O'Sheehan's Pub ( FREE Fish & Chips 24/7!!) , and I HIGHLY recommend the following specialty restaurants : Le Bistro ( French, escargots yummy!) , Teppanyaki ( Japanese steakhouse - lots of fun, great meal!!) , Cagney's (steakhouse) , Ocean Blue ( seafood, a bit more $$, but nice!!) , and Moderno Churrascaria ( Brazilian steakhouse..lots of meat, if you like that..)...La Cucina is Italian food, and I've seen mixed reviews, but it's fairly cheap ( IMO) . and beautiful, PLUS you can eat outside or in...for good & different craft beers, go to Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar, Sunset Bar for great views, and plenty more...you should LOVE The Haven..very nice pool & jacuzzi area, bar & restaurant...Cheers to my friends, Status Quo, whom I go see every year since 1993...have a great TWO ( lucky bloke, you..) cruises!!

Big Al

I've been on Oasis, in an inside cabin, and have Breakaway booked for January's 12 day S. Carib...in an inside guarantee. Pray for me! Oasis cost me more per person for 7 days than Breakaway is for the 12, I WAS on the 10th sailing. I LOVED Oasis to pieces and to this date it remains my favorite ship. I don't think anything could ever duplicate walking through Central Park lit up at night, and I don't care how crowded Park Cafe has gotten, I'd wait an hour for one of those roast beef sandwiches! And the whole indoor promenade will never be matched by any atrium. Of course, you could forget you were actually on a ship, something that has been addressed with the waterfront on Breakaway. NCL has it's own positive points (pretzel rolls!). I'm not really expecting to be quite as wowed on Breakaway, a cruise is a great getaway (pun intended) no matter how you look at it. I'm a New Yorker, so Breakaway is great for me, no flying involved. I'm flinching at the prices I see for Utopia of the Seas going out of New York, and will probably be waiting a while before I book a cruise on her (and I will be!). Gotta look for the positive in every cruise.....I could be home doing laundry instead of lying on a Caribbean beach!:eek:

I have been on Oasis, Allure, Epic and Breakaway. The Royal ships themselves really do have more of a "wow" factor to them as far as aesthetics and certain amenities. I agree that the Central Park area (including those yummy roast beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe and those fresh salads) is a very special area on a ship and very well done. In my experiences though on the two Royal ships is that there is still something about the ambiance that is not as inviting as sailing on NCL. It just seems to me that both the passengers and crew on NCL ships know how to have more fun. I don't quite know how to explain it exactly but the overall mood and friendliness of both the passengers and crew on NCL ships is much better. People just seem more relaxed and far less uptight than they are on Royal Ships. (prolly cause no tuxedos are needed! :D )

we also booked when they had free specialty dining. we are going aug 2-9. been on ncl but it has been years. .we have been on a lot of cruises so not newbies. my question is what specialty resturants are included? is the illusionist show included the first night? any other info would be good. ad

I have been on Oasis, Allure, Epic and Breakaway. The Royal ships themselves really do have more of a "wow" factor to them as far as aesthetics and certain amenities. I agree that the Central Park area (including those yummy roast beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe and those fresh salads) is a very special area on a ship and very well done. In my experiences though on the two Royal ships is that there is still something about the ambiance that is not as inviting as sailing on NCL. It just seems to me that both the passengers and crew on NCL ships know how to have more fun. I don't quite know how to explain it exactly but the overall mood and friendliness of both the passengers and crew on NCL ships is much better. People just seem more relaxed and far less uptight than they are on Royal Ships. (prolly cause no tuxedos are needed! :D )

I have to echo what you say about the difference in the crowds. We went on Allure twice last summer and Getaway a week ago. The crowd on Getaway was the most fun, respectful crowd we have seen on a ship. There was no pushing or shoving. If you did get bumped there was an immediate apology and people actually held elevators for each other.

Another thing I agree with you is the wow factor. Allure had many wow moments while Getaway the only wow for me was the sports deck, water slide, and ropes course area.

Thank you for your review and comparisons! While I totally understand your cruise preferences and can relate to some, I have to say that I totally agree with Red-Sol 100% I've only sailed Allure once and Epic twice and will be on the Getaway in October. While I agree that no ship can compare to Allure/Oasis ships in regard to design/layout and attractions, I still find the vibe and service on NCL more appealing. I could care less about merry go rounds and aqua-theaters. This is coming from someone who has seen almost every vegas show and been to disney more times that I can keep track of. I cruise simply because I believe it to be the most economical vacation that has something for everyone in our family in addition, I get to visit several countries with food included all while sailing the ocean for 7 days. While I loved Central Park, Park Cafe and the Pools on the Allure, I still have always had amazing vacations on smaller NCL ships. The only dining venue I will miss is Park Cafe & Giovanni's. However I prefer Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppenyaki on NCL over Chops and 150. Additionally, I personally prefer service and quality over attractions and this is why I am a loyal NCL customer. While I love new ships I don't necessarily prefer larger ships I just wish these newer ships sailed to other ports. I won't say I will not sail allure/oasis again but I can probably get two sailings on NCL for the price of one on RCCl. As long as I feel I got my money's worth and was able to go on vacation, I'm happy:)

Thank you for your review and comparisons! While I totally understand your cruise preferences and can relate to some, I have to say that I totally agree with Red-Sol 100% I've only sailed Allure once and Epic twice and will be on the Getaway in October. While I agree that no ship can compare to Allure/Oasis ships in regard to design/layout and attractions, I still find the vibe and service on NCL more appealing. I could care less about merry go rounds and aqua-theaters. This is coming from someone who has seen almost every vegas show and been to disney more times that I can keep track of. I cruise simply because I believe it to be the most economical vacation that has something for everyone in our family in addition, I get to visit several countries with food included all while sailing the ocean for 7 days. While I loved Central Park, Park Cafe and the Pools on the Allure, I still have always had amazing vacations on smaller NCL ships. The only dining venue I will miss is Park Cafe & Giovanni's. However I prefer Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppenyaki on NCL over Chops and 150. Additionally, I personally prefer service and quality over attractions and this is why I am a loyal NCL customer. While I love new ships I don't necessarily prefer larger ships I just wish these newer ships sailed to other ports. I won't say I will not sail allure/oasis again but I can probably get two sailings on NCL for the price of one on RCCl. As long as I feel I got my money's worth and was able to go on vacation, I'm happy:)

Agreed Vivian...to me the more relaxed and fun experience of NCL will always trump any of the glitz and "Wow" of Royal. In the end it is about the overall experience! That is what is really important. :)