Questions about digital camera/housing

Joby

Be sure to practice with your camera - in the underwater housing - a lot. It's much easier to take photos in the water if the controls come second nature to you. If you have to fiddle with the controls, that once in a lifetime shot will probably disappear. Underwater critters aren't known for their ability to hold a pose.

Also, if you have a pool available, place a small soft (don't want to scratch the case) weight inside the case and submerge it for a few minutes. This will check the case for leaks without destroying your camera in the process.

Yes. thanks for the tips. I plan on practicing with it on the plane and in FLL before our cruise. I forgot to see if the camera came with balancing weights. If not, I will have to buy some locally. At least I already have been using the camera and am familiar with how it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to where I might find a PT-029 underwater housing for an Olympus Stylus 600? I am really upset because last night I ordered the camera and U/W housing online with a comment attached that if I could not get both parts, I did not want either, then, first thing this morning, I called them and sure enough, the housing was on back order, I told the lady not to send the camera until she could tell me when the housing would be available (we leave on our trip in 1 week), so a few hours later, she e-mails me that there was no estimated delivery available, so I called to cancel the entire order, they told me that the camera and memory card had already been shipped....so now am stuck...I have a camera coming, and I really think it will be a great camera, it has 3 different underwater settings,...but no housing and I have searched online all day and can't find it...it is a very new product, does antone have any advice or websites they use? Suggestion???

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to where I might find a PT-029 underwater housing for an Olympus Stylus 600? I am really upset because last night I ordered the camera and U/W housing online with a comment attached that if I could not get both parts, I did not want either, then, first thing this morning, I called them and sure enough, the housing was on back order, I told the lady not to send the camera until she could tell me when the housing would be available (we leave on our trip in 1 week), so a few hours later, she e-mails me that there was no estimated delivery available, so I called to cancel the entire order, they told me that the camera and memory card had already been shipped....so now am stuck...I have a camera coming, and I really think it will be a great camera, it has 3 different underwater settings,...but no housing and I have searched online all day and can't find it...it is a very new product, does antone have any advice or websites they use? Suggestion???

Have you tried going to the Olypus site and looking for a "real" store?

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to where I might find a PT-029 underwater housing for an Olympus Stylus 600? I am really upset because last night I ordered the camera and U/W housing online with a comment attached that if I could not get both parts, I did not want either, then, first thing this morning, I called them and sure enough, the housing was on back order, I told the lady not to send the camera until she could tell me when the housing would be available (we leave on our trip in 1 week), so a few hours later, she e-mails me that there was no estimated delivery available, so I called to cancel the entire order, they told me that the camera and memory card had already been shipped....so now am stuck...
You can refuse delivery when it arrives and contest the charge with your credit card company, if you really don't want the camera.

If you have already tried google, any links I could give you won't be that helpful as you have probably seen them. My advise would be to call the first string online camera stores, http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.adorama.com come to mind. I've had good service from 6th Ave photo. You can also try some local camera stores. I think any that are big chain camera stores would be the best place to start.

You probably have also tried the Olympus site itself for the housing. Being the manufacturer, you'd think they would have it in stock first.

I actually checked the Olympus website first, it was out of stock. Also with BHP's website. I ordered it through adorama, then the next day I got the e-mail saying it was on back order. All of the local camera shops would have to order it for me, but they are unable to order it from anywhere either, nobody seems to keep it in stock. I guess since it is so new...nobody has it... I am so frustrated that they would even show it, then be unable to send it. Now I have my mind made up that I want that particular camera or I would just refuse shipment...I guess I will just keep the darn camera and hopefully get the housing in time for my next trip. I am going to Kauai next week and doing Snuba and snorkeling, so I really wanted some good pics, but then maybe I will have the housing by the time I go to the Bahamas in December... I guess I will quit stressing over it. The snuba guy said I could rent a 35mm underwater from him and I guess I will just use disposables for snorkeling and then I will just have an excuse to go back to Kauai after I get my underwater housing and take more pics!!!!!!

Just an update and thanks to all who helped us choose a camera and housing (Canon IS S1). Thanks for the opinions and websites, all were very helpful!

I've been playing around with the camera and trying to get used to it. Lots of buttons and options for my pea brain!

I have until 10/17/05 to learn it all as that is when I leave. I will try out the housing in Nassau, Freeport, St. Thomas and St. Martin. I will only be snorkleing this trip because my sister doesn't dive and we will be with our Mom. So I have opted to just snorkel with my sister.

I'll let you know how I do when we return. Thanks again for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, we have just returned from our cruise. It was a lot of fun. We did have a bad time with bahama Diver's in Nassau, but a great trip overall!

Our Canon S1-IS and housing did well on the trip. I did have problems with the strobe, so the underwater pics left a bit to be desired. The land pictures turned out very well in my opinion. My daughter said digitals were addicting--shoot, look, deltete, shoot, look, delete...

I did find the camera addicting--I took over 900 pictures over the 13 day trip. I did ONLY print 500 though! So, mostly, I did--shoot, look, shoot, look...

Thanks for the opinion and help. I appreciate it much.

Archived