NCL Alaska - Advice?

cb3thatsme

Hey Everyone first time poster on the NCL board :)

I am currently in the VERY early stages of planning a trip to Alaska next summer...I've never sailed NCL only DCL and I currently have a cruise scheduled for RCCL I have heard mixed reviews on NCL so I have a couple of questions and would love your help!

Our group would be a family of 5 - 3 adults two kids 11 - 12

First question :) I am debating between the Pearl 7-Day Glacier Bay, Roundtrip Seattle and the Jewel 7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Roundtrip Seattle - Any thoughts? Same price pretty much...

Second Question - Freestyle Dining??? Its a little confusing but I think we would do the Dining Package. Does that give me access to any of the specialty restaurants each night? For example I could make reservations before we leave for the steakhouse, french restaurant and sushi so I would know our schedule prior to sailing?

Third Question - Does NCL do anything special for Alaska? Like a Naturalist or specialty dining menus? Alaskan craft beers ext...

I think thats all for now but any advice would be much appreciated!!!

We did the Pearl's Glacier Bay itinerary in 2012 and it was spectacular. Can't comment on the other itinerary, but lots of people told us to do the Glacier Bay one. You spend the day cruising in Glacier Bay and people from the National Park come on board and give talks about the park and the glaciers (so that sort of answers your last question too). Glacier Bay is considered "special" in that the park only lets 2 cruise ships in per day, and limited other boats as well (smaller tour boats, pleasure boats). The ship puts on special drinks that day (hot chocolate, fancy coffees with alcohol) that you can order to be delivered to your room to sit on the balcony. It was quite foggy the day we were there, but still spectacular.

I think there was some Alaska-themed menu items - salmon, etc. But I don't recall craft beers. I might have missed them, though.

I can't comment on the dining, we didn't have a dining package. I don't think it was even an option in 2012.

Hey Everyone first time poster on the NCL board :)

I am currently in the VERY early stages of planning a trip to Alaska next summer...I've never sailed NCL only DCL and I currently have a cruise scheduled for RCCL I have heard mixed reviews on NCL so I have a couple of questions and would love your help!

Our group would be a family of 5 - 3 adults two kids 11 - 12

First question :) I am debating between the Pearl 7-Day Glacier Bay, Roundtrip Seattle and the Jewel 7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Roundtrip Seattle - Any thoughts? Same price pretty much...

We did Glacier Bay... in a Port Side Balcony. The National Park Service Ranger will narrate on the way in. On the way out, the ranger is usually available to answer questions in the Spinnaker Lounge. If I cruise Alaska again, I might go with Sawyer Glacier.

Second Question - Freestyle Dining??? Its a little confusing but I think we would do the Dining Package. Does that give me access to any of the specialty restaurants each night? For example I could make reservations before we leave for the steakhouse, french restaurant and sushi so I would know our schedule prior to sailing?

The real beauty of "Freestyle Dining" is that you don't have a set time for dinner, nor do you have assigned seating. The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is a fairly recent addition. It gives you the option of dining in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise. But before you opt to purchase it, you should check out the venues and their prices (see attachment) then do the math and see if its really worth the cost. You may have a night or two (or three) when you decide that you just want to grab a quick bite in the buffet or one of the main dining rooms... and they're included with your fare. Just so you know, Sushi is a la carte and is not included in the UDP. A real dining treat would be a seat at the chef's table... and that isn't included either; big bucks, but worth every penny.

Third Question - Does NCL do anything special for Alaska? Like a Naturalist or specialty dining menus? Alaskan craft beers ext...

I do remember having the option to add crab legs (in Cagney's) at an additional upcharge. I don't remember seeing any craft beers in any of the lounges. But, check out the Glacier Bay drink specials in the attachment. They will also make any one of them in the Spinnaker Lounge... all you have to do is ask.

I think thats all for now but any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

NCL Dining Guide.pdf

Glacier Bay Drink Specials.pdf

We have done both itineraries multiple times and love them both. However, I do recommend the Glacer Bay itinerary over Sawyer Glacier, just because you get to be in Glacier Bay the better part of the day, and see several glaciers instead of just one. But there are many pros in doing the Sawyer Glacier itinerary too. For us it works better to leave on Saturday vs. Sunday, so we're doing the Sawyer trip this time.

I'm sorry I can't comment on the dining package, as that is new since last September when we cruised last. But I've been kind of "cruising" the boards to see the comments about it, to see if it's soemthing we may be interested in.

I have seen Alaskan themed items on the menus as times, but based on the current menus I wouldn't say there is anything specific just to AK right now. I can't comment on the beers since I don't like beer! :eek:

Have fun - WE LOVE NCL!

We did the Sawyer Glacier twice and both times we were lucky enough to go all the way up to the glacier. We sat for awhile and the Captain turned the ship so that both sides got great photo opportunities.

I believe the UDP is fairly new, at least I don't remember it on our last cruise. We are not foodies by any means and with all the dining venues I personally wouldn't use it. But, that's just me.

A couple of little tips we learned on our second cruise. In Ketchikan take the city bus to Totem Bight State park. It drops you off and picks you up at the park entrance for around $2. Great photo opportunities.

In Juneau take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier. Bus runs about every 30 or so minutes and is very reasonable. That way you can spend as much or little time at the glacier as you want.

You'll love Alaska no matter which cruise you choose. :)

We were on the jewel the first week of June the year. I have DD 12 and 16. We had a blast. Cagney and the japenese steak house would be filled every night and some nights le bistro, too. So reserve ahead of time if you can. My kids loved fishing in ketchikan and helicopter glacier hike in skagway. I think there was salmon some nights but I can't remember. We got lobster tails in cagney, on two different nights.

Thank you everyone for all of the help I really really appreciate it!!!

We did the Pearl's Glacier Bay itinerary in 2012 and it was spectacular. Can't comment on the other itinerary, but lots of people told us to do the Glacier Bay one. You spend the day cruising in Glacier Bay and people from the National Park come on board and give talks about the park and the glaciers (so that sort of answers your last question too). Glacier Bay is considered "special" in that the park only lets 2 cruise ships in per day, and limited other boats as well (smaller tour boats, pleasure boats). The ship puts on special drinks that day (hot chocolate, fancy coffees with alcohol) that you can order to be delivered to your room to sit on the balcony. It was quite foggy the day we were there, but still spectacular.

Thanks for your help Glacier Bay sounds incredible! I love that they have people from a National Park come on board I think the kids will love that they are really big into nature from hunting and fishing to hiking even in the winter lol

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for all of your help!

What are your favorite or must do specialty restaurants???

We have done both itineraries multiple times and love them both. However, I do recommend the Glacer Bay itinerary over Sawyer Glacier, just because you get to be in Glacier Bay the better part of the day, and see several glaciers instead of just one. But there are many pros in doing the Sawyer Glacier itinerary too. For us it works better to leave on Saturday vs. Sunday, so we're doing the Sawyer trip this time.

I'm sorry I can't comment on the dining package, as that is new since last September when we cruised last. But I've been kind of "cruising" the boards to see the comments about it, to see if it's soemthing we may be interested in.

I have seen Alaskan themed items on the menus as times, but based on the current menus I wouldn't say there is anything specific just to AK right now. I can't comment on the beers since I don't like beer! :eek:

Have fun - WE LOVE NCL!

Thank you :)

I'm glad to hear that both Itineraries are great! Honestly I like the glacier bay better but the Jewel seems like a better ship to me (thoughts???)

We did the Sawyer Glacier twice and both times we were lucky enough to go all the way up to the glacier. We sat for awhile and the Captain turned the ship so that both sides got great photo opportunities.

I believe the UDP is fairly new, at least I don't remember it on our last cruise. We are not foodies by any means and with all the dining venues I personally wouldn't use it. But, that's just me.

A couple of little tips we learned on our second cruise. In Ketchikan take the city bus to Totem Bight State park. It drops you off and picks you up at the park entrance for around $2. Great photo opportunities.

In Juneau take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier. Bus runs about every 30 or so minutes and is very reasonable. That way you can spend as much or little time at the glacier as you want.

You'll love Alaska no matter which cruise you choose. :)

Thank you! I hope we can get close to the Glacier too Photography is a big hobby of mine and I think the picture opportunities would be incredible!

I took note of those tips seems like great options for not to expensive :D

We were on the jewel the first week of June the year. I have DD 12 and 16. We had a blast. Cagney and the japenese steak house would be filled every night and some nights le bistro, too. So reserve ahead of time if you can. My kids loved fishing in ketchikan and helicopter glacier hike in skagway. I think there was salmon some nights but I can't remember. We got lobster tails in cagney, on two different nights.

Glad you enjoyed Jewel she looks like and awesome ship! I love all of the new enhancements!!! I will make sure to reserve those as soon as I can!

Did you dine at any of them? If so any menu recommendations?

Cagney we got steak. 1st time one of the best steaks we have ever eaten, and we a lot is steak. 2nd time mine was tough and gristly. My DH got bison and it was top notch, as were the lobster tails both nights. The osco bucco in the Italian place was wonderful. We also got the huge 2 person steak in le bistro. It was not very good, more like a roast texture and very chewy. I think you just never know how it will really be that night. Be adventurous and order things you have never had!

Order some fun glow things off of amazon for the white hot party. You will be an instant hit w Tweens and crew.

Thats a great idea we will defiantly do that!!!

Well adventurous sounds good to me! :D

(I'll remember the Bison I'm a big fan and hope they have it on the menu)

Do you guys have any thoughts on the Beverage Package?

Would the 55$ a day give me ANY cocktail, beer or wine? As well as coffee's and tea's? Or are there limits and such?

Also what restaurants are open for Breakfast and Lunch? If specialty restaurants are do they cost extra?

Edited by cb3thatsme

I'm just going to give you our thoughts on the beverage package. We will be on the Sun in September for the Southbound Inside Passage cruise. I have cruised Alaska before, but DH has not. If this were a Caribbean cruise, I would consider the beverage package. But since this is Alaska, and we intend to be busy with excursions, we both feel that getting the beverage package will not be worth it for us. We like a drink now and then, but do not expect to be in clubs late into the night. JMO, but that's us. Others may feel differently about it.

Since you asked... I would NOT suggest the dining package. Minimal savings, and with a larger group you may not all want to do it every night. Some might want buffet, blue lagoon, MDR, room service, etc.

We have now done both, just getting off the Pearl this weekend and its Glacier Bay. I think Glacier Bay is the winner for the glacier viewing as we got a solid 6 hours in the Bay and you get two different glacier stops in the bay and nothing else on the dockett that day to get in the way.

Sawyer glacier would depend on the time of year. We did Sawyer Glacier during a September cruise and... well I can't tell you what Sawyer looked like because we never made it. They split the day with the morning in Juneau then the evening at Sawyer. The year we did it (2011 on the Star, but I think it's same timing itinerary with the Jewel) we were late getting out of Juneau and then the bay into Sawyer was foggy so we had to go slower. We got about 3/4 the way into the inlet toward the glacier... only to have the captain come on to say the sun was setting soon and we had to turn around and get out of the bay before darkness due to fog and ice in the bay. So... no glacier viewing. Big bummer.

Now sunset then in mid September was 7:30; near the June solstice time it's closer to 10:15pm so you have a longer daylight window to guard against this problem. So I'd say if you're in June/July/early August, you'll likely be fine. Getting late in the season and it's a risk. I can't speak to the Jewel -- we had a few challenges on the Pearl (I've got a post on here about it) but ships aside, Glacier Bay I think is the big winner :)

I have done Glacier Bay itinerary twice and would do it again!

I would not do the UDP, as you can just about book the restaurants any time you want once on board, and you may want to do one of the main dining rooms also. It is the same as on land; you just show up and they give your party a table.

I would NEVER do the UBP as I just do not drink enough! Specialty coffees and teas are NOT included anyway.

Thanks again everyone :D

I definitely think both packages are NOT worth it from what you guys are saying (I really appreciate the insight because I would've done both just for convince with being new to the whole freestyle thing)

Thats really a great point about Alaska being different than the Caribbean I have to keep telling myself this cruise is different than anything I've done before :)

I have to say the consciences seems that the Pearls Itinerary is better I wish it would have just gotten a refurb like Jewell!

The Pearl did have some "local" Alaska beers. I had a couple on my Sep 2013 cruise.

Thats great to know I think it would be fun to try some :)

I wanted to say THANK YOU everyone I think we decided on the NCL Jewel :D We haven't put the deposit down because its a surprise but I'm almost 100% sure we will be sailing NCL Jewel to Alaska in 2015!!!

It works better with our schedule and the new things like the Mojito bar, O'Sheehans and Nickelodeon really sold us! I am incredibly excited to try NCL!

I wanted to say THANK YOU everyone I think we decided on the NCL Jewel :D We haven't put the deposit down because its a surprise but I'm almost 100% sure we will be sailing NCL Jewel to Alaska in 2015!!!

It works better with our schedule and the new things like the Mojito bar, O'Sheehans and Nickelodeon really sold us! I am incredibly excited to try NCL!

My wife and I just booked the Jewel for next May 30th. Can't wait!

My wife and I just booked the Jewel for next May 30th. Can't wait!

Awesome Please report back once you sail I know its a while away but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Have you sailed NCL before? This will be our first we've previously just sailed DCL however we have an RCCL booked for the winter and now Jewel planned :D

I'm looking forward to comparing each ship and really the differences in the lines!

We booked the Pearl Sept 13, 2015 out of Seattle to Glacier Bay. The Pearl was just refurbished last year so its not like its a shabby ship. It's almost identical to the Jewel. We sailed on the Jewel last year and it was fabulous. So you should really make the decision on the itinerary not the ship, when choosing between the two. We found that the food and drink packages where way to expensive compared to what you'd pay if you just buy what you really want.

We book well in advance and always stay in a suite. That gives us $300 in "play' money on board that more than covers all we eat and drink.

If you wait until closer to cruise time they usually offer a deal to buy three specialty restaurants and a bottle of wine at a reduced price. That's the deal we go for so we get the specialties but its not every night.

Note that Cagneys breakfast is included for suite dwellers every day.

Suites come with a very nice espressos machine for your specialty coffee :)

Sushi al-a-cart is surprisingly good and cheap!

If you buy an alcohol drink package you have to buy for everyone in the suite.

Other options are to buy bottles of wine or buckets of beer. The staff will assure your bottle follows you to any restaurant or location that you want it.

lastly...attend the Cruise Critic Meet and greet!!!

Happy sailing