Midnatsol Port or Starboard?

RMLincoln

We're booked for a November cruise on Midnatsol, 11 days. Picked an N category, Ocean View on Deck 4 Port side. #471. Is port side noisy due to the activities of loading and unloading... or is it more interesting due to loading and unloading? Could probably change to starboard (under the cafeteria?) in the next few days.

Thanks for any help. m--

We asked for a Starboard side cabin on Nordnorge, on the assumption that the Port side would be noisy. We were given a cabin on the Port side and found it great to be able to look out of the window and see all the activity while in ports. The main source of noise was the side thrusters and they would be heard/felt on both sides. We hardly noticed the doors opening and closing or loading operations.

To be honest, the windows do a great job of keeping noise out.

Thanks for the insight. I guess we'll stick with the port room and enjoy the "doings". We realize that this a working ship and there will be some activity day and night with accompanying levels of noise. We're on Deck 4 Midnatsol #471 which is over a blank white area of Deck 3, so no telling what's going on down there. I'm looking forward to it and have to wait until late October but lots to plan between now and then. m--

Maureen, I hope you'll post about your experiences after your cruise (I've read your postings on the HAL forum)...I'm cruising Hurtigruten in late Nov.

Thank you for asking. We haven't finished our itinerary yet but the Hurtigruten cruise is late October. I hope I can get something posted soon after even though we may still be traveling. And I hope I will have wonderful things to say! I guess a lot depends on weather but we've planning on have a unique and beautiful experience. m--

We're booked for a November cruise on Midnatsol, 11 days. Picked an N category, Ocean View on Deck 4 Port side. #471. Is port side noisy due to the activities of loading and unloading... or is it more interesting due to loading and unloading? Could probably change to starboard (under the cafeteria?) in the next few days.

Thanks for any help. m--

Hi,

Been on Midnatsol/Trollfjord (they have identical layouts) several times.

I've always chosen port side for interest in docking/loading/unloading myself but you're unlikely to be in your cabin most of the time so a limited benefit I'd suggest. In reasonable weather when docking/alongside many of those not going ashore are leaning on outside rail on deck 6 or 8 watching the goings on - & get a much better view than from cabin windows. Likewise in inclement weather the panoramic lounges and bar etc (mainly) on deck 8 provide a wider view.

Your cabin location is several cabins sternward of the car/freight doors so shouldn't be too noisy when opening/closing (if you were 4-5 cabins further forward I'd be cautious in saying that). Cabin is above kitchen/galley & wouldn't expect noise from that.

Hope this is helpful - happy to try and answer other questions.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

Hi,

Been on Midnatsol/Trollfjord (they have identical layouts) several times.

I've always chosen port side for interest in docking/loading/unloading myself but you're unlikely to be in your cabin most of the time so a limited benefit I'd suggest. In reasonable weather when docking/alongside many of those not going ashore are leaning on outside rail on deck 6 or 8 watching the goings on - & get a much better view than from cabin windows. Likewise in inclement weather the panoramic lounges and bar etc (mainly) on deck 8 provide a wider view.

Your cabin location is several cabins sternward of the car/freight doors so shouldn't be too noisy when opening/closing (if you were 4-5 cabins further forward I'd be cautious in saying that). Cabin is above kitchen/galley & wouldn't expect noise from that.

Hope this is helpful - happy to try and answer other questions.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

R- Thank you for the great ship geography insights! Sound like we will be in a good spot.

I have other minor questions, if you can remember...

Electric outlets - What plug type?

Toiletries - Shampoo? Conditioner? Soap?

Coffee - Any decaf coffee? even instant will be ok

We plan to arrive Bergen by train from Oslo the afternoon of embarkation day... OK plan for late October?

We plan to spend the night after disembarkation and fly the next morning to Amsterdam... Any hotel suggestions in Bergen?

Any other tips for late October? Thanks so much for your help!

I'm very excited about this unique opportunity, only slightly terrified of doing to it for 11 days in late October into November :o

m--

We plan to arrive Bergen by train from Oslo the afternoon of embarkation day... OK plan for late October?

In our experience it's not a good idea to arrive on the same day as you sail. The afternoon of the same day would be pushing your luck a little.

We plan to spend the night after disembarkation and fly the next morning to Amsterdam... Any hotel suggestions in Bergen?

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel. Excellent hotel in an equally excellent location.

I've done that on my two latest journeys (winter) and want to do that for the next one (late september). If you plan for the train that leaves Oslo in the morning, you are in the mountains at mid-day (so with plenty of daylight) and you arrive before 3pm which leaves a lot of time before boarding.

Trains in Norway are reliable, you have some wiggle room for a train delay, and in the worst case scenario if the train is cancelled there are plenty of planes going from Oslo to Bergen anyway which you can take at the last minute (but this shouldn't happen).

As long as you are in Oslo the day before your trip I don't think you can miss the ship. The train journey is beautiful.

Electric plugs are of the "European" type (two round holes, like this : http://www.110220volts.com/Z-Electrical-Outlet-Type-C.html ). Power is 220V.

Edited by SarniaLo

Coffee, hot water, cocoa, and tea are available if you buy the coffee mug - a bit overpriced (you're in Norway), but convenient and a nice souveneir. I would get hot coca every afternoon and sit in the hot tub to watch the scenery go by - magnificient...

I can't remember what they had for toiletries - I'm sure I used whatever they provided.

Happy travels - the train ride to Bergen is beautiful and a great way to start the trip.

Greetings, digit, Sarn and RSF,

Thank you for your thoughts and info. I can't buy the train tickets yet, too far in advance still, but our options are to fly to Oslo and take the morning train or not have a stop in Oslo by flying directly into Bergen.

I did ferret out some other answers from the hurtigruten site... 220V European outlets confirmed, I'll bring some conditioning shampoo. Not sure about decaf coffee but I can deal with cocoa or herb teas fine, so I think I'll be ok.

If I think of other questions I'll be here again :) m--

Hi again Maureen ...I too am flying into Oslo the day before and taking the train to Bergen the day of the cruise, and coincidentally am flying to Amsterdam after the cruise, after spending the night in Bergen! So again I'll want to hear how it all goes for you. My friend and I are going directly from our 12 day Hurtigruten cruise to a Rhine River Christmas cruise. We are flying to Oslo via Amsterdam on our way to the cruise, too.

Hi again Maureen ...I too am flying into Oslo the day before and taking the train to Bergen the day of the cruise, and coincidentally am flying to Amsterdam after the cruise, after spending the night in Bergen! So again I'll want to hear how it all goes for you. My friend and I are going directly from our 12 day Hurtigruten cruise to a Rhine River Christmas cruise. We are flying to Oslo via Amsterdam on our way to the cruise, too.

We will be boarding a Viking river cruise in Amsterdam heading to Budapest, our first river cruise! Looking for any insights. We may try to fly from Bergen to Amsterdam after disembarkation but I see different times for arriving in Bergen, one site says 10am, another page on Hurtigruten says 2:30pm... so I'm not sure about that and will wait for reservations. Do you have an Amsterdam hotel picked out? That'll be one of our next steps. Thanks! m--

Maureen,

Be glad you are not doing that river cruise now, the low water is wrecking havoc. We have friends leaving this week for a Viking Danube cruise, and I suspect they will be very disappointed. I just looked in my file and discovered I don't have info on our Bergen hotel. I'm traveling with a friend, and she booked it...will have to ask. We're so looking forward to our trip on the Trollfjord, we leave for the trip Nov. 29. She's coming from California, I from Boston, we're meeting in Oslo!

My river cruise will be my 4th...have done the Rhine/Mosel, Douro, Seine (in December), and next year will be doing Budapest to Bucharest. Two of the cruises were with Uniworld, two with Grand Circle. My husband and I did an Oceania transatlantic in April, will never return to HAL after experiencing O.

Hurtigruten will be such a change...just hoping we don't freeze to death! Oh yes, I believe we disembark at 2:30 p.m. We are flying to Amsterdam the next day and going directly to our river ship.

Janet

PS My best friend lives in Alto, NM.

Edited by Barrheadlass

R- Thank you for the great ship geography insights! Sound like we will be in a good spot.

I have other minor questions, if you can remember...

Electric outlets - What plug type?

Any other tips for late October? Thanks so much for your help!

I'm very excited about this unique opportunity, only slightly terrified of doing to it for 11 days in late October into November :o

m--

Hi again,

I see others have answered some of questions:

- in standard cabins you just get all in one shower gell in shower & washbasin, suites have full hotel-like toiletries (inc bathrobes & slippers)

- don't recall seeing decaff but not sure - Norwegians mostly like strong black caffeine-full coffee. If I were in your position I'd take decaff coffee bags (Lyons ones sold on Amazon & Ebay) as they're nearest things to "proper coffee")

- Hotels are very much personal choice of style & cost: I've stayed at Radisson Blu Norge (best standard hotel in my view) & Royal, Augustin, Neptun and Admiral. Admiral is a bit characterful (built from old warehouse overlooking Bryggen) and there are 2 other very characterful "boutique type hotels: Havnekontoret & Hanseatic. I'd be happy staying at either of these in addition to all the ones I've previously stayed in. They are all central and within walking distance of Flybus stops.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi again,

I see others have answered some of questions:

- in standard cabins you just get all in one shower gell in shower & washbasin, suites have full hotel-like toiletries (inc bathrobes & slippers)

- don't recall seeing decaff but not sure - Norwegians mostly like strong black caffeine-full coffee. If I were in your position I'd take decaff coffee bags (Lyons ones sold on Amazon & Ebay) as they're nearest things to "proper coffee")

- Hotels are very much personal choice of style & cost: I've stayed at Radisson Blu Norge (best standard hotel in my view) & Royal, Augustin, Neptun and Admiral. Admiral is a bit characterful (built from old warehouse overlooking Bryggen) and there are 2 other very characterful "boutique type hotels: Havnekontoret & Hanseatic. I'd be happy staying at either of these in addition to all the ones I've previously stayed in. They are all central and within walking distance of Flybus stops.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Indeed it does help Richard! Many thanks. I will bring some conditioning shampoo for us. Wish we could get bathrobes for use to/from the hot tubs but not paying suite price, window cabin was high enough. I may have to "adjust" to Amsterdam's high prices too. Thank you for the list of hotels, I will check their availability as soon as I understand how early we arrive in Bergen/ can fly out of Bergen... that determines how many nights in Amsterdam, which we'd prefer to visit more than Bergen.

Lots to look forward to! m--

Maureen,

We are staying at. Hotel Thin Bergen Brygge.

Janet

Thank you Janet. We'll see what city we wind up spending that night in. I've been concerned about how cold it will be in late Oct, but you probably are already planning for cold in late Nov!

I hear Oceana is lovely, but we have been value cruisers... that is until these trips on Hurtingruten and the river cruise, which we think are comparatively costly. But we're giving these different types of travel a try and I hope we find them worthwhile. It's such a great way to see places we otherwise are unlikely to get to.

Happy planning! m--

Coffee, hot water, cocoa, and tea are available if you buy the coffee mug - a bit overpriced (you're in Norway), but convenient and a nice souveneir.

This cost ~£29 when we travelled last year. You might want to delay purchasing one until you've seen how much 'inclusive' tea and coffee there is around meal times. We found that the need to obtain a drink when it was chargeable was fairly minimal and made the cost of the mug pretty outrageous!

This cost ~£29 when we travelled last year. You might want to delay purchasing one until you've seen how much 'inclusive' tea and coffee there is around meal times. We found that the need to obtain a drink when it was chargeable was fairly minimal and made the cost of the mug pretty outrageous!

Agreed. Our mug cost around £34 and to be honest, we had to purposely go for a drink of coffee at times, just to get our money's worth. The mug is a lot smaller than you might imagine, but we're using ours for when we camp out in the mountains. It's light and keeps the coffee warm well.

I agree that the mug is expensive, but still I bought one on each of my trips! ;) I use one daily at work, makes a nice souvenir, and I also use them when sailing since as Border Reiver said they are light and efficient (and I like the lid, very handy). I probably could have bought a similar one for less money but I like having a bit of MS Lofoten on board our sailboat.

Also on board Hurtigruten I really enjoy using them to bring hot tea outside while waiting for the Northern Lights. There are some things money can't buy! ;) (but to each his own I guess).

Expensive coffee prices... some folks would not blink at $5 a day but I've not been to a Starbucks so I have to recognize I'm buying the convenience. I'll see what's available on board that suits my non-caffeine needs. The other things is that we are packing in "carry-on" size luggage for 60 days including 3 different types of cruises in cool to cold weather, so very harsh judging on packing volume! Either way is not a deal breaker... have to go with the big picture! m--

DeCaf coffee is hard to find in Norway; I bring Via (Starbucks) with me. If you are booked in one of the suites, the coffee program is included.

Soap and shampoo are in liquid form in the bathrooms (attached to the wall), and I have found them very drying to my skin. I bring my own supply.

The morning train from Oslo (8am, I think) is very reliable. Hurtigruten uses that train for its pre-trip program which meets the train with a coach for transfer to the ship.

We traveled on the Midnatsol last Fall (have also been on the Trollfjord for a summer trip) and prefer Fall for travel; fewer crowds, and the autumn weather and scenery can be wonderful. Enjoy!