Midnatsol Port or Starboard?

RMLincoln

DeCaf coffee is hard to find in Norway; I bring Via (Starbucks) with me. If you are booked in one of the suites, the coffee program is included.

Soap and shampoo are in liquid form in the bathrooms (attached to the wall), and I have found them very drying to my skin. I bring my own supply.

The morning train from Oslo (8am, I think) is very reliable. Hurtigruten uses that train for its pre-trip program which meets the train with a coach for transfer to the ship.

We traveled on the Midnatsol last Fall (have also been on the Trollfjord for a summer trip) and prefer Fall for travel; fewer crowds, and the autumn weather and scenery can be wonderful. Enjoy!

Great insights, thank you janet...

I wonder how one gets the train and transfer deal? We may be interested in doing just that and save some hassle! Sounds perfect.

May be limited to how much liquid I'll be able to carry as we may be doing non-checked luggage for parts of the trip... but could buy some along the way. Otherwise I"ll have a small tube of concentrate.

So good to hear that you enjoyed your fall trip - although we will be in late fall, Oct 20 -31. Will bring layers! m--

Maureen, my friend and I are doing the hotel/train/transfer deal...it includes a shuttle from the airport to the hotel for the overnight in Oslo. I think the info is on the Hurtigruten website, but we had a travel agent book ours for us directly with Hurtigruten. It was pricey, but everything is in Norway. As we are coming from 2 separate states at different times, it made things easier for us.

Janet

Edited by Barrheadlass

Maureen, my friend and I are doing the hotel/train/transfer deal...it includes a shuttle from the airport to the hotel for the overnight in Oslo. I think the info is on the Hurtigruten website, but we had a travel agent book ours for us directly with Hurtigruten. It was pricey, but everything is in Norway. As we are coming from 2 separate states at different times, it made things easier for us.

Janet

I will begin looking into this today! I was in town all day yesterday and at a training last night, so back to "work" today! I have a cancelable reservation at a Comfort Hotel in Oslo at about $129 but cannot buy the train tickets yet, too early. No hard plan for transfers yet, probably train in Oslo from airport and walk to and from hotel which is close to Oslo S station, then walk or taxi in Bergen from train station to ship, about half mile. But the train leaves Oslo rather early and it may be much better to have a Hurtigruten transfer!

I can see how with the two of you coming in from different places the package would be the best. Any idea what it cost pp ? I'll let you know what I coe up with for us! Stay tuned.... m--

Re: the transfer from train to ship: Call the Hurtigruten office and they can arrange it.

Regarding some of your other questions, Komfort Class is worth the extra money if you are traveling during a busy season, drink lots of coffee and can read a Norwegian newspaper; otherwise not necessary.

It is hard to tell you what seats are best as the cars are sometimes switched around so you don't know which end is the front. There are forward and backward facing seats in the cars.

There is a shop as you enter the station that sells sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, etc. that is better than what can be purchased on the train.

The gates to the tracks are usually opened about 20-30 minutes before the train departs.

Hope this helps.

Re: the transfer from train to ship: Call the Hurtigruten office and they can arrange it.

Regarding some of your other questions, Komfort Class is worth the extra money if you are traveling during a busy season, drink lots of coffee and can read a Norwegian newspaper; otherwise not necessary.

It is hard to tell you what seats are best as the cars are sometimes switched around so you don't know which end is the front. There are forward and backward facing seats in the cars.

There is a shop as you enter the station that sells sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, etc. that is better than what can be purchased on the train.

The gates to the tracks are usually opened about 20-30 minutes before the train departs.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does help Janet! I just replied to thread above to Sarnia and told her I try to "see" each stage of the trip and your sharing your first hand experiences helps very much. To know we can pick up sandwiches, yogurt etc at the station, that the train cars may be arranged "backwards" and that the gates open 20-30 minutes ahead of departure are all good pieces of the vision! Many thanks and wishing you good planning and happy safe travels too. m--